Options

Where is the inside of the TARDIS?

2»

Comments

• Options
    spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ..... if you travel at close to light speed then perceived lengths change ..... this seems to be the idea of a tardis with the obvious reference to minkowski .........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there is no such thing as a 4th spacial dimension at right angles to the other 3. for exactly the same reason as there are only 5 platonic solids.

mind you spiritualists used to explain things coming and going with the "4th dimension" but "dematerialisation" does not mean that .......

there are books explaining how to "visualise" a tesseract but there is no such thing .....
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,478
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    in 63 kaluza klein theory existed but not 11d string theory. in any case the "curled up" dimensions would have o uncurl ....... unfortunately thereis no such thing as a 4th spacial dimension .....

It's not relevant what (real) theories were around in 1963. I don't think they'd thought through in great detail where the TARDIS interior actually is. Or how it might do all the other things it's meant to be capable of. 50 years on many writers have added to or amended "how things work" in the Whoniverse.

Any "explanations" can rely on any current scientific thinking, if we want it to.

According to the best ToEs we have today (string and M-brane theory) there could be 11 dimensions. They're the current mainstream thinking in theoretical physics. Apparently 11 dimensions is "sufficient" though there might be more. :)

They are theories only. Nothing is proven.

Given that you seem to be aware of those theories, I don't see how you could possibly assert "there's no such thing as a 4th spatial dimension". It remains outside our knowledge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    It's not relevant what (real) theories were around in 1963. I don't think they'd thought through in great detail where the TARDIS interior actually is. Or how it might do all the other things it's meant to be capable of. 50 years on many writers have added to or amended "how things work" in the Whoniverse.

Any "explanations" can rely on any current scientific thinking, if we want it to.

According to the best ToEs we have today (string and M-brane theory) there could be 11 dimensions. They're the current mainstream thinking in theoretical physics. Apparently 11 dimensions is "sufficient" though there might be more. :)

They are theories only. Nothing is proven.

Given that you seem to be aware of those theories, I don't see how you could possibly assert "there's no such thing as a 4th spatial dimension". It remains outside our knowledge.

saying there is a 4th spacial dimension is just gibberish. it has no actual meaning.

the theories around at the time were directly relevant. minkowski is directly referenced although only as mumbo jumbo.
  • Options
    steven87gillsteven87gill Posts: 1,159
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Tardis interior is a relatively simple 3 dimensional volume projected out into 4 dimensional euclidean space.

p.s I'm not entirely sure what I just said, but it certainly sounds like something the doctor would say.

:D
  • Options
    Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just got to the last scene of the Meddling Monk stories, when he realises his "deminsion control" has been nicked by Hartnell. lol, the inside of his mk iV was not quite how he expected and he could no longer travel!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the point of the tardis is it can go in the back of a van and be taken to an abandoned quarry somewhere. for not too much money out of the budget. same idea as star trek transporter which avoids the expense trawling a huge "shuttle craft" to various outdoor locations ..... then you just add some mumbo jumbo to the script .......
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spoiler alert ........ there is no such thing as a tardis ....... yes i realise i have entirely wrecked dr who for many people .............