An Adventure in Space and Time: BBC2, 9pm, 21.11.13

1202122232426»

Comments

• Options
    The GathererThe Gatherer Posts: 2,723
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hestia wrote: »
    A propos absolutely nothing: did anyone else watch BBC 4's documentary on Top of the Pops 1979 on Friday night (just watched it on iplayer)? There was a bit where the acts were all talking about how they used to try to get into the BBC club and bar but they used to have uniformed commissionaires to stop them, while showing a photo of an example of said commissionaire during the voice-over.

Except that it was William Russell from 'An Adventure in Space and Time'! Ooops!

Not "oops" at all, deliberately done.
  • Options
    mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quick revival as this was repeated tonight.... I did like the way Ncuti was added to the last scene pretty seamlessly.

Also having watched this reconstruction and some of the early episode on iPlayer this week I really do think that the Doctor needs to travel back (or forward) to the early 2200s to see how Susan and David got on and survived (maybe tied in to the Doctor instinctively knowing that Carol's Susan is close to her first regeneration and returns to support her) chuck in some Daleks and bish, bash, bosh and instant hit (or miss lol)
  • Options
    ioioosioioos Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    I didn't know Ncuti was going to edited in. Doctor Who, forever moving forward. That hit me in the feels.
  • Options
    Col87Col87 Posts: 5,946
    Forum Member
    mrprosser wrote: »
    Quick revival as this was repeated tonight.... I did like the way Ncuti was added to the last scene pretty seamlessly.

Also having watched this reconstruction and some of the early episode on iPlayer this week I really do think that the Doctor needs to travel back (or forward) to the early 2200s to see how Susan and David got on and survived (maybe tied in to the Doctor instinctively knowing that Carol's Susan is close to her first regeneration and returns to support her) chuck in some Daleks and bish, bash, bosh and instant hit (or miss lol)

I think a better idea would be Susan is in fact the Daughter of Jenny ( it makes sense since is the Doctors doctor) and we see an episode of Susan as a baby been left in the 1940s.
  • Options
    doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,392
    Forum Member

Is this true or just a joke?

• Options
    Forum Member
    Col87 wrote: »

I think a better idea would be Susan is in fact the Daughter of Jenny ( it makes sense since is the Doctors doctor) and we see an episode of Susan as a baby been left in the 1940s.

That wouldn't make much sense.

Susan was the Doctor's granddaughter a very long time in his and her personal timeline before Jenny was ever created, and she wouldn't be left as a baby in the 40's, because she didn't grow up in that time period. She'd come from Gallifrey with the Doctor. It's mentioned multiple times how they both come from another world, and even that they've been travelling in time and space for a little while at least prior to meeting Ian and Barbara.
  • Options
    RobertSterlingRobertSterling Posts: 398
    Forum Member

Why would you consider it to be a joke?
  • Options
    stocklenstocklen Posts: 4,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 24/11/23 - 10:22 #634

go to iplayer, search for Adventure in Space and Time - which looks like th 10 year old version..... and fwd to the end....

:wink:

oh, and this
    https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a45932610/doctor-who-ncuti-gatwa-adventure-space-time/
  • Options
    mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, I just thought I'd revive a 10 year old thread to add that the BBC had digitally added the latest Doctor to the last scene for fun!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 24/11/23 - 17:00 #636

Yeah, I just thought I'd revive a 10 year old thread to add that the BBC had digitally added the latest Doctor to the last scene for fun!

Woah, what's with all the attacking from asking a simple question.

I was aware that it was being repeated, but I assumed it was just a simple repeat and nothing more. I was not aware that scene was being updated, so @mrprosser when you posted what you did ( which contained more than just the mention of that scene) I was interested at the prospect that the scene had been updated, but then, because it was surprising to hear that they had done this without any prior announcement that I had heard, I wondered if you were actually saying something true, or if it was just a joke at the expense of people who hadn't bothered to watch the airing, so I just asked for clarification, and then I was confused why you acted annoyed at a simple question.

stocklen wrote: »

go to iplayer, search for Adventure in Space and Time - which looks like th 10 year old version..... and fwd to the end....

oh, and this
    https://www.digitalspy.com/tv/a45932610/doctor-who-ncuti-gatwa-adventure-space-time/

Thankyou @stocklen for an informative answer to my simple question.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I was aware that it was being repeated, but I assumed it was just a simple repeat and nothing more. I was not aware that scene was being updated, so @mrprosser when you posted what you did ( which contained more than just the mention of that scene) I was interested at the prospect that the scene had been updated, but then, because it was surprising to hear that they had done this without any prior announcement that I had heard, I wondered if you were actually saying something true, or if it was just a joke at the expense of people who hadn't bothered to watch the airing, so I just asked for clarification.

oh, and this

you are very welcome.
    I got an unwarranted mauling myself this morning from someone who obviously got out of bed the wrong side in the spoilers thread... hey ho.
  • Options
    Forum Member

I was aware that it was being repeated, but I assumed it was just a simple repeat and nothing more. I was not aware that scene was being updated, so @mrprosser when you posted what you did ( which contained more than just the mention of that scene) I was interested at the prospect that the scene had been updated, but then, because it was surprising to hear that they had done this without any prior announcement that I had heard, I wondered if you were actually saying something true, or if it was just a joke at the expense of people who hadn't bothered to watch the airing, so I just asked for clarification.

oh, and this

you are very welcome.
    I got an unwarranted mauling myself this morning from someone who obviously got out of bed the wrong side in the spoilers thread... hey ho.

I see in the still in the link you posted, he's in the brown leather jacket look. Obviously a lot of production people prefer that look ( as I do) to the orange and brown suit look.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

oh, and this

you are very welcome.

I see in the still in the link you posted, he's in the brown leather jacket look. Obviously a lot of production people prefer that look ( as I do) to the orange and brown suit look.

It was interesting and totally unexpected.

I had no intention of a rewatch and when I saw people mentioning it on Twitter I sought it out... funnily enough last night at least the Adventure in Space and Time was still not part of the 'Whoniverse' section - even though its been sneakily updated.

I thought it was lovely to see. Now some people are moaning Matt Smith's "removal" but I dont see it that way at all.
    The programme is a dramatisation of the genesis of Dr Who - and when it was made, it was to celebrate 50 years of the show. Matt's appearance illustrated the show was in safe hands and continually goes on into the future....

Now it's 10 years later and we have reached the 60th milestone. Nothing in life should be taken for granted and its amazing the show endures but of course thats down to constant change - and to update the 'anniversary' celebration to demonstrate that at 60 years old the show is still going strong is lovely to see. Ncuti quite rightly now fills the ceremonial role that Matt Smith originally performed.
    (they could have done Tennant as of course Gatwa hasnt yet taken over the role but im glad they didnt).
    (oh and technically at the 50th they could have had Capaldi appear but he was still a long time from his debut so not quite the same)
  • Options
    daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,456
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

oh, and this

you are very welcome.

I had no intention of a rewatch and when I saw people mentioning it on Twitter I sought it out... funnily enough last night at least the Adventure in Space and Time was still not part of the 'Whoniverse' section - even though its been sneakily updated.

I thought it was lovely to see. Now some people are moaning Matt Smith's "removal" but I dont see it that way at all.
    The programme is a dramatisation of the genesis of Dr Who - and when it was made, it was to celebrate 50 years of the show. Matt's appearance illustrated the show was in safe hands and continually goes on into the future....

Now it's 10 years later and we have reached the 60th milestone. Nothing in life should be taken for granted and its amazing the show endures but of course thats down to constant change - and to update the 'anniversary' celebration to demonstrate that at 60 years old the show is still going strong is lovely to see. Ncuti quite rightly now fills the ceremonial role that Matt Smith originally performed.
    (they could have done Tennant as of course Gatwa hasnt yet taken over the role but im glad they didnt).
    (oh and technically at the 50th they could have had Capaldi appear but he was still a long time from his debut so not quite the same)

If I remember rightly there was a lot of debate whether Matt Smith should have been in that scene at all.

I didn’t mind it but it did feel out of context with the real life tale being told.

🙂
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 24/11/23 - 19:19 #641

oh, and this

you are very welcome.

I have the DVD so I didn't think there was anything I'd gain from watching on bbc4's schedule. They should have advertised there was a change to it.

I see it has now been added to iPlayer, so I'll have to give the scene a look.

I quite like the idea of updating it for each anniversary. It could become a new tradition, and of course it's not really 'removing' Matt Smith when those physical copies of the original still exist.

oh, and this

you are very welcome.

If I remember rightly there was a lot of debate whether Matt Smith should have been in that scene at all.

I didn’t mind it but it did feel out of context with the real life tale being told.

🙂

It was symbolically and visually lining the origins to the present day, so I personally like it.
  • Options
    CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was the version shown last night shorter than the original?

There was talk that some scenes were cut?

As to replacing Matt Smith, Mark Gattiss said 10 years ago that this was something that could be done.
  • Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    allafixallafix Posts: 20,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edited 25/11/23 - 03:10 #644
    I had no idea this was a repeat until I read this thread. I don't normally watch Doctor Who stuff as I don't like the rebooted version and so this passed me by 10 years ago. I saw a trailer for it this week and assumed it was new. I remember Doctor Who from the very beginning but didn't know the story behind it. Such as Verity Lambert being the first producer. Her name was in the credits of pretty much everything I enjoyed on ITV growing up, what a TV legend she was, so it was a surprise to know she started out on Doctor Who and was such a key part of it. Also how close it came to being cancelled.

A superb film, really enjoyable. The fact it was an updated repeat explains some of the comments in the original thread. The only thing that jarred slightly was David Bradley looking a little too old as William Hartnell, but his performance was very good.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    edited 25/11/23 - 12:08 #645
    Corwin wrote: »
    Was the version shown last night shorter than the original?

There was talk that some scenes were cut?

As to replacing Matt Smith, Mark Gattiss said 10 years ago that this was something that could be done.

Just read this article that says due to the ongoing rights issue over an unearthly child, the scenes in it featuring dialogue from an unearthly child had to be cut.

https://www.radiotimes.com/tv/sci-fi/doctor-who-adventure-space-time-edits-rights-issue-newsupdate/

Makes me glad I have a physical copy.
  • Options
    Rich1977Rich1977 Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edited 25/11/23 - 14:00 #646
    I recall Mark Gatiss saying back in 2013 that they filmed Matt separately and that it was always his intention to update that scene with the latest Doctor for repeats as it was about Hartnell looking to the future and seeing the show's legacy. I really love this idea.

People could argue (it's what fandom does) that it should have been Peter back in 2013 or David in this one etc... but you get the general idea.

• Options
    StrakerStraker Posts: 79,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unearthly Child footage on the C5 programme now.
  • Options
    MissMonkeyMooMissMonkeyMoo Posts: 3,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I completely understand that it's relevant to update that scene to include the latest Doctor and I am excited to see what Ncuti will bring to the role and I actually liked his little scene and the energy he conveyed even though he didn't say a word!

But nothing will beat watching the very first airing and seeing Matt Smith appear. I thought it was a genius move and Smiths Doctor was established so you felt the reassurance of the character continuing from William Hartnell to present day.
  • Options
    KarlyKarly Posts: 10,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Watched this for the first time yesterday and loved it. Interesting to watch a short time after the episode newly colourised too. It reminded me a lot of The Road to Coronation Street, also brilliant. I really enjoy old TV production dramas like these.
  • Options
    WembleyWembley Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I caught a u tube video a year or so back showing a sixties documentary about an English Chapter of Hells Angels . It was very gritty and fly on the wall stuff. Anyway the angels were on a narrow boat and all stopped hells angling to watch Dr Who, i think it was William Hartnell?
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,942
    Forum Member
    The phrase "hells angling" immediately put a picture in my mind of them all sitting on the side of the boat in their bike leathers with fishing rods!
    :D