AIR DATE CONFIRMED AS 27th AUGUST!

TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
Forum Member
✭✭
The official Doctor Who facebook page said:

"The wait is over! Doctor Who will be back on our screens on the 27th August on BBC ONE and BBC ONE HD! "Like" if you are excited!"

It was pretty obvious that this would happen, but this is just confirmation.
So we need not wonder if the Americans will get it first because they won't. Not that that would ever happen anyway.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To quote Iago: Oh there's a big surprise! That's an incredible - I think I'm going to have a heart attack and die of not surprise! :D
  • dgembadgembadgembadgemba Posts: 18,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To quote Iago: Oh there's a big surprise! That's an incredible - I think I'm going to have a heart attack and die of not surprise! :D

I totally read that in his voice
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 243
    Forum Member
    Well at least this will shut up all those people who were convinced that America would get it first and we would have to wait.
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I too almost had a heart attack. It was too big a surprise, too early in the morning. ;)
  • Lazlo WolfLazlo Wolf Posts: 484
    Forum Member
    Hooray!

Now people can stop moaning about not knowing the airdate, and start moaning about not knowing the broadcast time.

Then when they know the broadcast time, they can start moaning about how it's too early.

Then when the ratings are great, they can moan about how many more viewers the should would have picked up twenty minutes later.
  • sebbie3000sebbie3000 Posts: 5,188
    Forum Member
    Not just on Facebook - the official press pack has been released with the 27th confirmed!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well at least this will shut up all those people who were convinced that America would get it first and we would have to wait.

Can you blame people for being paranoid considering how much the powers that be have been sucking up to their US audience for a while now, and after the US getting Torchwood first?

Anyway, I'm just happy it will be back soon. I didn't think splitting the series up was a good idea at first but it's nice to have something to look forward to, so maybe it's not been such a bad thing.
    Forum Member
    Can you blame people for being paranoid considering how much the powers that be have been sucking up to their US audience for a while now, and after the US getting Torchwood first?

'Sucking up to'? What utter nonsense.

There seems to be a section of British Doctor Who fans who quite simply don't want to share their toys with anyone else. It's embarrassing.
  • wildbenji64wildbenji64 Posts: 2,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Anyway, I'm just happy it will be back soon. I didn't think splitting the series up was a good idea at first but it's nice to have something to look forward to, so maybe it's not been such a bad thing.

I'm sorry but yes. There was a clear reason why they get Torchwood first, it was in the deal, and it wasn't "sucking up" it was the only way we could get another series of Torchwood. I see no other examples of them "sucking up" either.

There is no such deal for Doctor Who, it is not a co-production, so they would NOT get it first. Also since it aired on the same day for the first part of the series, I don't see how anyone could think it wouldn't for this part.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not getting into this argument again because it's ridiculous.

It's not about being unwilling share or anything so stupid. It's about knowing how much the powers that be are desperate for Who to be a success in America, hence why those who are paranoid are perfectly within their rights to be so.

I understand why America got Torchwood first and have accepted it ages ago. I was using it as an example to show that maybe in the future America could co-fund Doctor Who, and a similar situation with air dates could happen.

No need to attack me for anything I've said. I thought I was making a pretty reasonable observation.
  • mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Umm, yes, actually. They haven't sucked up to America at all with Who - BBC America put a load of money in and in return we got some stunning outdoors scenes in the USA and a story that really made the most of that setting. What they HAVE done is moved the US audience to day and date with the UK which, frankly, some people seem to have an issue with for vaguely defined and weird reasons. This is a move I (and I suspect a large majority of Who fans) support as anything that increases the global reach of Who can be considered a good thing.

Torchwood is an entirely different entity as it's being produced by Starz and BBC Worldwide, very important difference. If it wasn't for Starz putting money in we would likely not have got Miracle Day at all and they're within their rights to have first stab at showing it (especially as they're a subscription channel and that makes it that much harder to justify the investment).

To think that the BBC would even consider showing Who in America before the UK (and, bearing in mind they show Who on a Saturday and America is at least five hours behind us it would mean showing it a week later)... frankly I really don't see what possible justification there is for that view at the moment. It's an entirely BBC-funded production, it's one of the most successful dramas in the UK and there's never been any indication or reason to consider they'd put it on in the US first.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Massive shock. Can peeps maybe try and remember this for next time?
  • TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lazlo Wolf wrote: »

There seems to be a section of British Doctor Who fans who quite simply don't want to share their toys with anyone else. It's embarrassing.

They really are sucking up to the yanks. The BBC seem to be trying to make Doctor Who really popular in the States.
    I also don't want to share Doctor Who with the yanks. They don't deserve it and I fear that if they begin to really like it, they'll buy it.

I wish the BBC went back to showing Doctor Who in the US months later.

I'm incredibly biased, so my opinion shouldn't be take seriously. :o
    Forum Member
    They really are sucking up to the yanks. The BBC seem to be trying to make Doctor Who really popular in the States.
    I also don't want to share Doctor Who with the yanks. They don't deserve it and I fear that if they begin to really like it, they'll buy it.

'don't want to share' 'They don't deserve it'

I think you've missed the point of every Doctor Who episode ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lazlo Wolf wrote: »

its utter elitist tosh
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Massive shock. Can peeps maybe try and remember this for next time?

never going to happen
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

... right.... You are aware that the more popular Who is in markets other than the UK the LESS likely it is to go away right? And that no-one can 'buy' anything from the BBC unless the Beeb want to let it go? And that they'd be insane to do that when it's both killing in the ratings AND is the highest earner for the BBC in terms of international sales and is in the top five for merchandise?

http://www.doctorwhonews.net/2011/07/dwn120711230008-doctor-who-best-seller.html

The BBC are making an absolute FORTUNE off Who at the moment, there's no danger they're going to let it go to a third party. If that changes and the show becomes (a lot) less popular in the UK to the point the BBC can't justify making it (unlikely in the foreseable future) then having a strong international presence is going to make it easier to find an external partner to keep the show going.
    Forum Member
    I'm not getting into this argument again because it's ridiculous.

Getting into? You're one the the prominent people who always drag it up, as you have here.
    It's not about being unwilling share or anything so stupid. It's about knowing how much the powers that be are desperate for Who to be a success in America, hence why those who are paranoid are perfectly within their rights to be so.

You seem to have missed out the middle 80% of your argument there.
    1. 'The BBC would like the show to succeed in America' (NB - This is A Good Thing)
    2. 'mumblemumblemumble'
    3. Vaguely defined worry that 'the Americans' are going to 'do something'.
    And paranoia is, by definition, never reasonable.
    I understand why America got Torchwood first and have accepted it ages ago. I was using it as an example to show that maybe in the future America could co-fund Doctor Who, and a similar situation with air dates could happen.

So your worry is that a fair situation with Torchwood could be used fairly with Doctor Who?
    No need to attack me for anything I've said. I thought I was making a pretty reasonable observation.

Yep, that's the problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whoever said "It'll be confirmed 10 days beforehand." HANG YOUR HEADS IN SHAME! :mad::mad:

It was confirmed 11 days before, instead :D

Also, pre-empted squee! :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,321
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    YAY! Glad it's confirmed, I'd penned it in my diary anyway :)
  • AlbacomAlbacom Posts: 34,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry but yes. There was a clear reason why they get Torchwood first, it was in the deal, and it wasn't "sucking up" it was the only way we could get another series of Torchwood. I see no other examples of them "sucking up" either.

There is no such deal for Doctor Who, it is not a co-production, so they would NOT get it first. Also since it aired on the same day for the first part of the series, I don't see how anyone could think it wouldn't for this part.

Actually, we could have had another BBC solely funded series of Torchwood along the lines of Children of Earth. It was RTD who wanted bigger and "better" (yeah right) and it was his job to secure extra funding to make it bigger and "better". So no, it isn't the reason we got Torchwood again. The BBC wanted more but RTD wanted a much much bigger budget in order to create more explosions and a bigger scope! I would have preferred another series like series 3. I stopped watching TW4 as it's boring.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blah, blah, blah.

I don't always drag up anything. I've posted about something a few times in the relevant threads.

This has got to be the touchiest forum on DS if you dare to stray from towing the party line for even just a couple of posts here and there. FFS.
    Forum Member
    Bezmina wrote: »
    YAY! Glad it's confirmed, I'd penned it in my diary anyway :)

Ooh! Penned, not pencilled. Clearly you like to live in the risky fast lane...

Well, either that, or like me you aren't a paranoiac imbecile... ;):D
    Forum Member
    wizzywick wrote: »
    Actually, we could have had another BBC solely funded series of Torchwood along the lines of Children of Earth. It was RTD who wanted bigger and "better" (yeah right) and it was his job to secure extra funding to make it bigger and "better". So no, it isn't the reason we got Torchwood again. The BBC wanted more but RTD wanted a much much bigger budget in order to create more explosions and a bigger scope! I would have preferred another series like series 3. I stopped watching TW4 as it's boring.

Where did you read that? I've only ever read that BBC wouldn't have funded Torchwood again, and the only reason we got it was because of the joint funding from across the pond.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sebbie3000 wrote: »
    Where did you read that? I've only ever read that BBC wouldn't have funded Torchwood again, and the only reason we got it was because of the joint funding from across the pond.
    i believe it was in a recent RTD interview