Options

Homemade burgers

2»

Comments

• Options
    c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With this thread I decided to purchase a mincer attachment for my K-Mix Mixer, gone are the days of using my old trusty hand mincer I bought years ago:D

http://www.kenwood.webfulfilment.com/Scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=95
  • Options
    c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've tried this a few times

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/mini-man-burgers-recipe/index.html

basically you divide the meat mixture in half and roll each half out on greaseproof paper till it is a cm or so thick. Season with herbs, onions, spices, cheese or whatever on one price and then place the other on top like a sandwich. Then use a knife or pizza cutter to cut into squares.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For those advocating chopped onions in the mix make sure you cook the onion first. Raw onion taste in a burger is bloody horrible. Remember Birds Eye burgers repeating on you? That's the reason. Not nice!
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    Thanks! Some good ideas here, bookmarking!
  • Options
    missymorganmissymorgan Posts: 581
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the_melon wrote: »
    Nigella has an amazing recipe for homemade burgers, she uses caramelised onions to bind the mince.

I use this recipe and the burgers are great, although I find they only stay in shape if I hand shape them rather than use a burger press.
  • Options
    Jambo_cJambo_c Posts: 4,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those advocating chopped onions in the mix make sure you cook the onion first. Raw onion taste in a burger is bloody horrible. Remember Birds Eye burgers repeating on you? That's the reason. Not nice!

i think that depends how thick the burgers are. If you make nice big thick burgers that take longer to fry I think the onion cooks anyway. I always put raw onion in, loads of people have had my burgers and I've had nothing but compliments.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jambo_c wrote: »
    i think that depends how thick the burgers are. If you make nice big thick burgers that take longer to fry I think the onion cooks anyway. I always put raw onion in, loads of people have had my burgers and I've had nothing but compliments.

You may be right, I never cook mine past medium so that's why I pre-cook the onion.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I don't tend to put any fresh ingredients into my burgers. Depending on what style i'm making I may used different spices and condiments but usually fresh ingredients go on the burger and not in it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you make your own, share your recipe please! I'm looking to try new versions.
    How I make mine:
    Minced meat
    Chopped onion - cooked until soft
    Salt, pepper, herbs and other seasoning to taste
    Egg to bind the mixture

That's the most basic, and from this you can make all sorts of variations.
  • Options
    skazzaskazza Posts: 4,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to find they came out too dry, so now I add a splash of brown sauce to my mix, which is beef, onion or shallot, chillies usually, and a good season. Never eggs or bread.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That is very similar to the Brie Burgers I linked to, except for not wrapping the cheese in a basil leaf - it adds that little extra texture.

I never thought to use brie, I'll be trying that the next time, I love brie.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Not homemade by us but the best burgers I have ever had are from a local farmer's market. Lamb with thyme and rosemary, they are excellent !! Their rare breeds pork sausages are very good too.
  • Options
    Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge Posts: 16,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I only ever made burgers once, and the mistake I made was using lean steak mince. It tasted dull. Full fat mince needs to be used.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    A tip from me is to grate the onion - takes a strong person to do so without crying! The reason I grate is because if diced and put into the mince - all of it doesnt soften - and if cooked then added to the mince - then most of the strong flavour is lost in the pan instead of in the mince! YUMMY!