Options

Recording a radio programme, question for help, please

MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I don't know if this is in the right section, so apologies if it isn't!

I would like to record a radio programme (listen again etc) before it runs out tonight but I don't know how to do it so can a clever techy person please tell me what to do and if there is a programme I can download to my PC to do it please. I would also like to put it onto a CD... and thanks if someone can please help me.

Comments

• Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Download Audacity

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It is a completely free audio editor/recorder. There are plenty of tutorials on that web site under the Help tab to get you going. You need to select whatever the computer is playing back as the recording source which can go under various names depending on your hardware, "Stereo Mix", "Wave Out", "Sum", "What U Hear" or "Loopback" are common variants.

You then just start Audacity recording and then play back the programme. If all is set up properly Audacity should start drawing the waveform in the display to show it's working. You can then trim out any unwanted bits if you desire then save it as an audio file on your computer.

If you have any version of Windows later than or including XP (Vista/Win7/Win8) then burning a CD is easy. Just put a blank CD in the drive (assuming it is not just a playback only drive - not very common these days) and either drag the file you saved above to the CD drive in (My) Computer or fire up Windows Media Player which has an option to burn the audio to CD.

There may be other ways that someone else can suggest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you very much Chris for replying. I'm obviously not techy minded but will give it a go.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far I can't fathom it out so is there anything else I need to download please?

I have the radio programme ready to play, I know the length of time and have the 'Audacity' box in the top left corner of my screen with 'file', 'edit', 'view', 'transport', 'tracks', 'generate', 'effect' etc and now I'm lost as to what to press first! :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    65 views and only one reply! :(

Help!!!
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris already told you: hit Record in Audacity and then begin playback of the show. I recommend recording a few seconds and then stop it to test and make sure you're doing it right before recording the whole show.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK mred2000... I have done it now but am not at all techy minded, so you must excuse me. Once I'd got it recorded, I wasn't sure what to save it as - an MP3 or other file so I opted for MP3 and whoopee it plays!!

THANKS Chris for helping me and mred2000 for your reply, but I had done it before seeing your message xx
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You'll think I'm stupid as I thought I'd saved it as an MP3 but it's a WAV file and it plays OK, but can I record this onto a CD for a friend please?
  • Options
    oilmanoilman Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many free aps to do this
    Google "burn wav file to audio cd"

Audio cd bit is important to create cd that can play in any cd player.
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    for a free radio recording program try rarmaradio http://www.raimersoft.com/rarmaradio.aspx been using this software for around a year and have recorded 100s of shows ,most online radio stations are programed in so you just click on the record button (and you can record more tan 1 station at a time :) )
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oilman wrote: »
    Many free aps to do this
    Google "burn wav file to audio cd"

Audio cd bit is important to create cd that can play in any cd player.
    I think I'm right in saying that if it's a .wav file, it would play on any cd player, even if it was simply copied onto the disk as a straightforward file.
    I believe that all the "burn wav file to audio cd" facility does is convert the mp3 to .wav format.
  • Options
    RobPyattRobPyatt Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    for BBC and podcasts, it is hard to beat Radio Downloader - http://www.nerdoftheherd.com/tools/radiodld/.

You can set it to record your favorite shows each time they are on, or put in podcast addresses, and they are downloaded automatically.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    If the radio show has a podcast then you might just be able to download the podcast to keep.
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    I think I'm right in saying that if it's a .wav file, it would play on any cd player, even if it was simply copied onto the disk as a straightforward file.
    I believe that all the "burn wav file to audio cd" facility does is convert the mp3 to .wav format.
    No it wouldn't necessarily play on a standalone CD player.

A Data CD containing an audio file is not the same thing as an Audio CD. The way the data is stored on the disk is different for the two types of disk. A stand alone CD player may well be able to read a Data CD but that is not guaranteed.

Burning an Audio CD is not just a case of converting to a specific audio format but also burning the data onto the disk in a specific manner.