don't want to give out my address

emily67emily67 Posts: 155
Forum Member
just wondering what people would do in this situation?

i've been speaking to this person for a while by email, and we were talking about birthdays etc

i mentioned that mine is on april 3rd and the other person said, oh, i should send you something- what's your address?

thing is, i don't want to give my address to them- i'm not happy about it.

i told them that they could perhaps email me 1 of those ecards, but they won't have it and insist on my address- as if they were depending on it

i know they are only being nice (not many people remember my birthday) but i honestly don't want to give my address to them

what can i do..

Comments

• TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    follow your instincts and not give out your address there must be a reason youre uncomfortable about doing so
  • NoFussNoFrillsNoFussNoFrills Posts: 4,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tell the person the truth and why at this moment your not ready to do so. Be nice but straight.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 16,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tell the person the truth and why at this moment your not ready to do so. Be nice but straight.

There you go. Do that.
  • Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just tell them only family members have your address and you don't give it out to anyone else. If they say why say otherwise you get a load off junk mail.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just tell them only family members have your address and you don't give it out to anyone else. If they say why say otherwise you get a load off junk mail.

For me the first part wouldn't be too suspicious but the second is obviously an excuse as how would this person having it affect the amount of junk mail they get?

I'd just be honest.
  • MartinPickeringMartinPickering Posts: 3,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give the address of a shop or business from where you can collect or have it forwarded to you.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This. Simple, honest, no nonsense.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

Agree with this.
  • lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,647
    Forum Member
    If they are a decent person they'll understand.
  • RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1060 West Addison

Although my advice would be to insist on an ecard
  • GageGage Posts: 1,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rent a mailbox and get them to deliver it there.
  • bart4858bart4858 Posts: 11,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    emily67 wrote: »
    i know they are only being nice (not many people remember my birthday) but i honestly don't want to give my address to them

what can i do..

Just say you don't trust giving out your address over the internet; anyone could intercept it.

If they are insistent, ask them for their address, so that you can send your address by post. That will also give you time to sort out a fake, or safe, address in case the other person turns out to be a nutter. Assuming they will give you their address first.
  • AnitaSAnitaS Posts: 4,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Give your work address?

Or simply say thanks for the thought but I really don't want you to send me a birthday card.

Is there any specific reason why you don't want this person to know where you live?
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    I'm confused to an extent, how do you know this person? You just didn't type in a random email address and up they popped! So either you met them on holiday and exchanged emails, or its someone who have to deal with in work. If it's work related your going to have to be careful you don't "pee them off". So just ask them to send the the card to your work address. You can tell them it's just easier for you to get the mail as your postal service at home is a bit flaky etc.
  • tim_smithtim_smith Posts: 772
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I agree, follow your instincts. I have several e-friends whom I have exchanged addresses for the purpose of sending cards, but if you’re not comfortable exchanging addresses at this point, then don’t do it

Perhaps when you know them better you will be able to.

Until then, don’t worry about it :).