Options

Washing Machines - do you have to follow the programs ?

Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,806
Forum Member
✭✭✭
we've just bought a new machine , a Bosch .

I wanted one that you could program yourself , tell it how long to wash and at what temperature etc. but Bosch are great yadda-yadda .

ok so it's got all these programs/cycles , but it seems I have very little control , for instance if I want to wash something at 60 degrees it will go on for over 2 and a half hours .

well I don't want that , my clothes aren't that dirty !

anyway I asked the guy in the shop if I could stop it half way thru the cycle and tell it to rinse and spin , and he looked very worried , he didn't think you could .

surely you can .

no ?

Comments

• Options
    GirthGirth Posts: 12,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My washing machine has a pause facility. I'm not sure why.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Course you can. Look in the instruction manual. It'll tell you how to stop a programme whenever you want and drain the machine.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Good question.

My machine always seems to take ages, no matter what temp I use - unless I use 'cool and fast' which obviously is faster, but I want at least for the clothes to be washed in hot water.

My sister has a machine where it washes hot in 14 minutes, that would be ideal.

Next time I'll do the rinse/drain halfway thing.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    does it have a quick wash button?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it does actually , 15 mins at 30 degrees , but thats a bit too short really .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it does actually , 15 mins at 30 degrees , but thats a bit too short really .

ah, one with a temperature limit, i meant like a half load button but half time or something.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ah, one with a temperature limit, i meant like a half load button but half time or something.

I 'think' half loads are detected automatically by most modern washing machines
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    I 'think' half loads are detected automatically by most modern washing machines

i`ve never seen that, is that just the more expensive models? my daughters brand new washer has the button.

although i was only using that to illustrate my post.
  • Options
    stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We've got a cheap washing machine and it has individual rinse, spin and drain only settings. Also has a 33 and 45 minute quick wash.

If you stop a wash halfway through and make it spin it should automatically drain excess water first.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i`ve never seen that, is that just the more expensive models? my daughters brand new washer has the button.

although i was only using that to illustrate my post.

TBH not totally sure but mine does and its a fairly cheap 13 yo thing .

There s no special switch or indication ,,..,it just detects small loads .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

it has a "speed perfect" button which apparently reduces the washing time , but can't find any mention in the instructions how much it reduces the time .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it has a "speed perfect" button which apparently reduces the washing time , but can't find any mention in the instructions how much it reduces the time .

it just reduces the spin time apparently. [further reading just told me that`s not true].

[i`m going by a video tute]

what model is it, i`ll see if i can find owt useful.

edit: "up to 60%" quicker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it just reduces the spin time apparently. [further reading just told me that`s not true].

[i`m going by a video tute]

what model is it, i`ll see if i can find owt useful.

edit: "up to 60%" quicker.

it's the Bosch WAE28167GB .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    it's the Bosch WAE28167GB .

i havn`t sat through the whole video but i think you can get it down to about half an hour total, this fella got it on 60 degrees for 8 minutes of wash cycle, i assume the rest is rinsing, filling and spinning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7azovcdpK70
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My ancient Miele does as it's told if need be. You can skip parts of the cycle or cut them short if you wish. Also the short wash cycle can be used regardless of temperature.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i havn`t sat through the whole video but i think you can get it down to about half an hour total, this fella got it on 60 degrees for 8 minutes of wash cycle, i assume the rest is rinsing, filling and spinning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7azovcdpK70

cheers , I guess I'll just have to experiment with different settings and see what happens .

don't know if it has a half-load sensor , nothing in the instructions , altho the videos on the Bosch site seem to claim it as a feature on their machines .

• Options
    Forum Member
    cheers , I guess I'll just have to experiment with different settings and see what happens .

don't know if it has a half-load sensor , nothing in the instructions , altho the videos on the Bosch site seem to claim it as a feature on their machines .

you tube`s your man, there`s quite a few on there for your machine.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you tube`s your man, there`s quite a few on there for your machine.

is there ? I couldn't find any for my particular model .
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member

Assuming you have a Bosch with a display on it? (any but the lowest spec models), it shows the required time on the display - and pressing 'speed perfect' reduces a two and a half hour cycle down to just one hour - press the button and see the time change.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    is there ? I couldn't find any for my particular model .

you`re quite right, i do apologise, they`re 32461`s.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Does anyone think you can cause the machine any harm or damage by stopping midway then rinsing, draining and ending?

If not, I'm definitely doing this, rather than having the machine running for 90 minutes, using tons of energy, when my stuff only needs freshening up, it isn't filthy!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Assuming you have a Bosch with a display on it? (any but the lowest spec models), it shows the required time on the display - and pressing 'speed perfect' reduces a two and a half hour cycle down to just one hour - press the button and see the time change.

'fraid not . it just has lights which indicate what stage it's at .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone think you can cause the machine any harm or damage by stopping midway then rinsing, draining and ending?

If not, I'm definitely doing this, rather than having the machine running for 90 minutes, using tons of energy, when my stuff only needs freshening up, it isn't filthy!

the thing I'm wondering is - the fabric softener .

now I never use it, I'm allergic , but at what point in the cycle does it go in ? is it during the rinse ?
  • Options
    skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It does seem though that most Quick or Economy washes work at low temeprtaures which is ok with some things but does not kill off germs and bacteria which need to be above 50 or sometimes 60 degrees.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    skp20040 wrote: »
    It does seem though that most Quick or Economy washes work at low temeprtaures which is ok with some things but does not kill off germs and bacteria which need to be above 50 or sometimes 60 degrees.

when i use a machine i never wash at anything under 60 degrees for that reason. i don`t know why they can`t configure it for all temperatures unless half the washing time is really heating time with some whirling..