Speed With Guy Martin!

12346»

Comments

• gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    No. He races for Tyco Suzuki which is pretty much a factory team. Now you could argue that Suzuki have traditionally been regarded as the least reliable of the four main Japanese makes ... just ask Chris Walker if you dare after what happened at the final BSB round at Donington Park in 2000.

I was looking to see what make of engine was in the bike but they seemed to have ground off the markings on the casings ... or they were CGI'd out like they do when blurring the faces of suspects in TV news coverage.
  • Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    gomezz wrote: »
    No. He races for Tyco Suzuki which is pretty much a factory team. Now you could argue that Suzuki have traditionally been regarded as the least reliable of the four main Japanese makes ... just ask Chris Walker if you dare after what happened at the final BSB round at Donington Park in 2000.

I was looking to see what make of engine was in the bike but they seemed to have ground off the markings on the casings ... or they were CGI'd out like they do when blurring the faces of suspects in TV news coverage.

Back in the days when I read Back Street Heroes and Street Fighters, I could recognise lots of engines on sight.
    I think Guy mentioned it was 1300 cc lump, I can only think of the old CBX and Hayabusa, wasn't a CBX, probably a few other 1300 4 pots about given the popularity of the 'Busa.
    Grinding the cases isn't unknown in the custom world, so not a surprise as it was someone's unfinished custom project he bought.

I kinda gave up on the engine as it was apparent we weren't going to get much in the way of technical stuff in this program.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,623
    Forum Member
    A Hayabusa would make sense as it seems to be a popular choice for kit cars etc. Is that because the donor bikes got written off a lot?
  • HDCriticalFanHDCriticalFan Posts: 1,897
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as I love Guy, I'm gonna have to call shenanigans (yet again) on this show !

Looking online I see that only four competitors completed the 2014 climb in the class Guy was competing.

Now, given his racing pedigree, shouldn't he wipe the floor with them without breaking a sweat ? It seems to me that they made the show, using that class, with the clear knowledge that there wasn't the remotest chance that they would do anything other than win.

Whilst not a conspiracy theorist, I even begin to wonder if when they saw that the main competition was a geriatric guy (who would do well simply to stay conscious at the high altitude) they didn't "turn the wick down" to keep things competitive. He won by ONE second over a ~12 minute run ... really ?!?!? And with a monster bike (c.f. the Japanese guy - riding a 1980 Kawasaki) ... he ran at half throttle and kept below 100mph ... and still won ... really ?!?!?

Great show though ! ;-)
  • airfixairfix Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watching this episode has made me wonder if he also builds the bikes that he uses at the Manx TT, as he always seems to have reliability issues with those as well.

Has Guy even ridden in the Manx TT? That used to take place later in the year after the Main IOM TT Races and was for amateur riders.
  • airfixairfix Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Much as I love Guy, I'm gonna have to call shenanigans (yet again) on this show !

Looking online I see that only four competitors completed the 2014 climb in the class Guy was competing.

Now, given his racing pedigree, shouldn't he wipe the floor with them without breaking a sweat ? It seems to me that they made the show, using that class, with the clear knowledge that there wasn't the remotest chance that they would do anything other than win.

Whilst not a conspiracy theorist, I even begin to wonder if when they saw that the main competition was a geriatric guy (who would do well simply to stay conscious at the high altitude) they didn't "turn the wick down" to keep things competitive. He won by ONE second over a ~12 minute run ... really ?!?!? And with a monster bike (c.f. the Japanese guy - riding a 1980 Kawasaki) ... he ran at half throttle and kept below 100mph ... and still won ... really ?!?!?

Great show though ! ;-)

Work out the average speed of his race. It's mostly turns so how fast would you expect him to be riding? Clearly not as fast as you'd think as his average over the whole distance was under 64mph!
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He still won, so who dares. He clearly was delighted with his achievement and that's what counts.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    airfix wrote: »
    Has Guy even ridden in the Manx TT? That used to take place later in the year after the Main IOM TT Races and was for amateur riders.

Yes, as he features in the ITV4 coverage every year. Are you not thinking of the Grand Prix which is in late August?
    Forum Member

Great show though ! ;-)

On the shenanigans front.

The bike was already turboe'd when Guy bought it, 2010 Martek Turbo, based on a GSX1100 lump and was throwing out 320 horses then.
    Obviously he could have broken it since then or it wasn't 'right' when he got it.
    It probably wasn't an idea that just 'occurred' to him to Turbo it, compression ratio could have been all wrong for one thing.
    Could have been bored out to 1260cc or even bigger.

As for Arai and his 1980 K1000, 1980 Kawasaki, doesn't mean much, neither does Martek, which is what Guy's bike was listed as, devil's in the detail.
    Having seen pictures of the Kawasaki, it looks quite trick, non standard front shocks, exhaust, swing arm, could have had a big bore kit out to 1428cc, more likely 1197cc though.

As for wiping the floor with people, Sebastian Loeb who is IMO in a different class above Guy and a lot of other drivers, had a lot of support and route learning to do what he did.

It's an entertaining enough show, not to be taken too seriously IMO.
    Best viewed like James May's toy stories, c0cking about with toys, for the sake of it, the real joy is in taking on the task and completing it, don't go into the details of the 'records' it'll take the sheen off it.
    Shame it's so light on the technical details at times though.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Refreshing to see him actually fail a challenge. Not because I enjoy seeing him fail but I was starting to think the series was a bit rigged in his favour.. ie.. he couldn't fail. So this shows he could fail. Actually failed is the wrong word. But you know what I mean.

One thing I've observed about Guy himself is he's extremely driven.. which makes sense I guess considering he's one of the best at his particular sporting activity. Like when he did the bike test last week and this week with the held yoga pose. He was dripping buckets of sweat. I wish I was that driven. I quit at the first hurdle.
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Refreshing to see him actually fail a challenge. Not because I enjoy seeing him fail but I was starting to think the series was a bit rigged in his favour.. ie.. he couldn't fail. So this shows he could fail. Actually failed is the wrong word. But you know what I mean.

One thing I've observed about Guy himself is he's extremely driven.. which makes sense I guess considering he's one of the best at his particular sporting activity. Like when he did the bike test last week and this week with the held yoga pose. He was dripping buckets of sweat. I wish I was that driven. I quit at the first hurdle.

I did get the impression that the Russian yoga teacher rather liked Mr Martin!
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member

Everyone would sweat in that heat. It's around 40 deg in there.
  • pmbondpmbond Posts: 876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The sunday times (and maybe others) have taken to letting its' readers know about the outcome of the challenge on the day of transmission. They have done it before today so not sure what the agenda is. I'll not say what happens but a bit peeved to know if he breaks the record or not before the episode starts and what happened. Unfortunately I had started reading the item before I realised it was about the prog tonight.
    Forum Member
    I did get the impression that the Russian yoga teacher rather liked Mr Martin!

Nobody watch tonight's effort, with and all female design and build team and experts?
    He was getting very fruity with his French expert Helen, wondering if she can weld :)
    Watching my recording now, so yet to see how it turns out.

Blokey setting the record at 80 odd mph on public roads, big knackers or a lot of trust in his machine, extremely well built too impressed Guy.
  • muddipawsmuddipaws Posts: 3,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another great episode, boy that cart could shift. As usual Guy had to push himself that bit further and it did end in disaster. Quite amused that he was more concerned with his lid rather than himself

He definitely had a thing for the french girl

Hope he is back next year

Im off to the TT next year hope to catch a glimpse of him then, oh yes baby!
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always enjoy watching Guy on TV, he has something about him (a cross between enthusiasm and madness) that makes me enjoy whatever he is doing.

I bought 'The Boat That Guy Built' on DVD and have just re-watched it. Some of his comments had me in stitches.
  • BellaRosaBellaRosa Posts: 36,549
    Forum Member
    Another great episode and mad speed record. That crash :o

Really liked that it was an all woman team and they designed and built the kart.

Going to miss my weekly fix of Guy now :(

Guy must be the most watchable man on tv .. for me anyway :D
  • mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems I am on my own but I just find him as dull as ditch water and the programme a bit pointless. He may well be a 'speed freak' but I also think he's a bit of a one dimensional anorak.
    There - you can all shout at me now! :D
  • spectraspectra Posts: 2,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems I am on my own but I just find him as dull as ditch water and the programme a bit pointless. He may well be a 'speed freak' but I also think he's a bit of a one dimensional anorak.
    There - you can all shout at me now! :D

Did you post that here just to be shouted at?

I don't share your opinion but each to their own. I think he is a bit geeky and into mechanicals in a big way (which I am not) but he seems to be an intersting person, which is why I like watching anything he is in.

Out of interest what is the one dimension this "anorak" has? Or is it just that you think he is an "anorak" and thus one dimensional?