Options

bbc3 orphan black

with bbc3 getting droped was dose this mean for ob hopefully bbc2/4 will pick it up

Comments

• Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think they'll show it. It's a BBC co-production, after all.

They should stick it on Two, Wednesday at 9pm, perhaps.
  • Options
    THE ROTCODTHE ROTCOD Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gulftastic wrote: »
    I think they'll show it. It's a BBC co-production, after all.

They should stick it on Two, Wednesday at 9pm, perhaps.
    hope so this is a vey clever and well writen show
  • Options
    phil solophil solo Posts: 9,669
    Forum Member
    Season 3 will likely go out in the summer before BBC Three goes off air. If it's renewed beyond that by BBCA I imagine it'll probably find a home on BBC2, though it could potentually end up on E4, who have previously screened other BBCA shows like Being Erica and Almost Royal
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    It has been confirmed that a lot of ex-BBC3 shows such as OB will get a post-Newsnight slot during the week. Just don't ask me where I read that :confused::(:D
  • Options
    MotthusMotthus Posts: 7,280
    Forum Member
    Well I thought that when BBC3 goes online then shows like Orphan Black would continue to be shown via the online BBC3 but I guess I was wrong!

Pity as I can see BBC2 taking even longer to show Orphan Black as they try to fit it into their schedule!
  • Options
    Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Motthus wrote: »
    Pity as I can see BBC2 taking even longer to show Orphan Black as they try to fit it into their schedule!

I'm not convinced it'll be shown at all. It's not really a BBC Two type of show.
  • Options
    THE ROTCODTHE ROTCOD Posts: 545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not convinced it'll be shown at all. It's not really a BBC Two type of show.
    if they show intruders why not orphan black
  • Options
    Kieran SeymourKieran Seymour Posts: 901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    THE ROTCOD wrote: »
    if they show intruders why not orphan black

Well, they didn't exactly have much choice with Intruders, having had some minor involvement during production!

The problem in Orphan Black's case is that it already does badly on another BBC channel, and it's a programme which BBC Two have no production ties to.

While BBC Three can justify much smaller ratings for a critically acclaimed import, if it gets promoted to the bigger channel then it'll have to perform better. I just can't see that happening - particularly after two (maybe three) seasons on BBC Three which have had some fairly intricate storylines. It's not the sort of programme where you can easily jump on board without prior knowledge of what's happened.

Added to which, Orphan Black just doesn't really fit with the more grounded type of drama that BBC Two goes in for these days. Intruders, bad as it was, certainly had the grim and gritty BBC Two style that we've come to expect from them over the past few years.

I hope I'm wrong, because I'd be very disappointed not to get the chance to see future seasons, but I really don't hold out much hope for anything beyond Season 3 getting aired on the BBC.
  • Options
    JoystickJoystick Posts: 14,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've yet to watch the second season as the first season is only on Netflix. Maybe if the BBC won't show the next season then hopefully Netflix will pick it up.

Also when BBC3will go off air for good, is it not going to be an online digital channel? Thought I heard that somewhere.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    No idea how this would work........

My assumption is that the BBC3 audience will shrink to next to nothing if it becomes an online only channel. I haven't particularly got anything against online but because the channel isn't on my TV I won't look at the list of programmes that are on. A bit like Sky Movies.......I don't have those channels on my TV so I don't look what's on !

I would expect 99% of the population to act in the same way......

Would they still buy in shows to 'broadcast' to a miniscule audience ?

And as for getting BBC2 viewers to start watching mid way through.......they could always do what the cable channels do and re-run previous series before showing the new one
  • Options
    DartGuruDartGuru Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    No idea how this would work........

My assumption is that the BBC3 audience will shrink to next to nothing if it becomes an online only channel. I haven't particularly got anything against online but because the channel isn't on my TV I won't look at the list of programmes that are on. A bit like Sky Movies.......I don't have those channels on my TV so I don't look what's on !

I would expect 99% of the population to act in the same way......

Would they still buy in shows to 'broadcast' to a miniscule audience ?

And as for getting BBC2 viewers to start watching mid way through.......they could always do what the cable channels do and re-run previous series before showing the new one

ditto Amazon. Really can't see the point of that diversification. They may see it as a natural progression to chuck some of their huge wealth at producing their own material but unless it gets shown on cable without having to a) pay a separate subscription or b) feed my internet through my TV, I'll not be interested.

When VM have an Amazon app in the same way they do for BBCi Player and Youtube, I might revisit that viewpoint.
  • Options
    GDKGDK Posts: 9,477
    Forum Member
    According to research "young" people don't watch TV on TVs. They prefer to watch online on whatever smartphone, tablet or other device they happen to have with them at the time. That's the standard argument they trot out for ditching BBC3. I think it's premature and driven by budget cuts. However...

I'm not what anyone would consider "young" (far from it :)), but I've been very happy to watch the third season of Ripper Street online.

Via my PS3 and the Amazon app.

On my TV.

Most smart TVs and set top boxes are capable of the same. Online broadcasting is the future! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GDK wrote: »
    According to research "young" people don't watch TV on TVs. They prefer to watch online on whatever smartphone, tablet or other device they happen to have with them at the time. That's the standard argument they trot out for ditching BBC3. I think it's premature and driven by budget cuts. However...

I'm not what anyone would consider "young" (far from it :)), but I've been very happy to watch the third season of Ripper Street online.

Via my PS3 and the Amazon app.

On my TV.

Most smart TVs and set top boxes are capable of the same. Online broadcasting is the future! :)

That must be the same research that said everyone would be watching 3D TV by 2010.

'Everyone' wants programs that are easy to set up, find and watch and satellite or cable (or freeview equivalent) will have the vast majority of the market until today's youngsters are in their 60's and everyone has as a PS3 or equivalent (in much the same way many of today's 50/60-somethings have internet access through PC/laptop. Until then I can't see any online material being anything other than a niche market.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I didn't even know Amazon had a TV channel.......
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I didn't even know Amazon had a TV channel.......

They don't

It's online internet channel

Like netflix

Problem is their shows have not really caught on hugely like Netflx's shows which is why people are a bit unware of it, although Transparent changed that a few months ago.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DartGuru wrote: »
    That must be the same research that said everyone would be watching 3D TV by 2010.

'Everyone' wants programs that are easy to set up, find and watch and satellite or cable (or freeview equivalent) will have the vast majority of the market until today's youngsters are in their 60's and everyone has as a PS3 or equivalent (in much the same way many of today's 50/60-somethings have internet access through PC/laptop. Until then I can't see any online material being anything other than a niche market.

You obviously haven't noticed the effect catchup TV services like BBC iPlayer (which stream or download over the internet, depending on the platform) are having on live viewing figures. It seems "everyone" likes the convenience of watching when they want to and not at the whim of the schedulers.

I'm not a total tech fanboy. Your comment is far too negative, IMO (and, frankly, dismissive and rather insulting). I think 3D TV is a bit of a gimmick until the need to wear the special glasses is gone. Curved TVs are a bit of a gimmick too, but 4K will continue and mature. I did say shutting down BBC3 was premature and really driven by budget cuts.

They're not there yet, but smart TVs are easy to setup and use now, for anyone a bit tech savvy or under 30. That will only get easier. By the time today's youngsters reach my age it will be mainstream and some other new technology will be overtaking and capturing the imaginations of a new young generation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You obviously haven't noticed the effect catchup TV services like BBC iPlayer (which stream or download over the internet, depending on the platform) are having on live viewing figures. It seems "everyone" likes the convenience of watching when they want to and not at the whim of the schedulers.

I'm not a total tech fanboy. Your comment is far too negative, IMO (and, frankly, dismissive and rather insulting). I think 3D TV is a bit of a gimmick until the need to wear the special glasses is gone. Curved TVs are a bit of a gimmick too, but 4K will continue and mature. I did say shutting down BBC3 was premature and really driven by budget cuts.

They're not there yet, but smart TVs are easy to setup and use now, for anyone a bit tech savvy or under 30. That will only get easier. By the time today's youngsters reach my age it will be mainstream and some other new technology will be overtaking and capturing the imaginations of a new young generation.

So, basically, I'm dismissive, insulting AND more or less correct. Okay, I'll accept that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So, basically, I'm dismissive, insulting AND more or less correct. Okay, I'll accept that.

Oh dear! Just another over aggressive internet persona. Never mind, eh?
  • Options
    PalmerwhoPalmerwho Posts: 1,158
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Teaser for Season 3.

http://www.wired.com/2014/12/orphan-black-season-3-teaser/

Spoilers if you haven't seen the end of Season 2 obviously.

April 18th is a long way off!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh dear! Just another over aggressive internet persona. Never mind, eh?

Bless, and I'm the one who gets called insulting AND aggressive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bless, and I'm the one who gets called insulting AND aggressive.

Remind me again who started with the dismissive and insulting attitude? G'bye now! :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remind me again who started with the dismissive and insulting attitude? G'bye now! :)

You quoted 'research' without reference, as did I, no more no less.

I am saying that, much as happens in any age, new technology is for the young and until those young reach middle age, their niche market will never become commonplace. To overcome that and to capture a decent enough slice of the market to survive, providers must find a way of identifying how their tech can be used by all ages.