Options

Sexual harrasment on the street

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It happens to both sexes. It often happens to me. Men think they have a right to grope my arse.

This has happend to me in clubs to more times then i can remember i do not even have a big bum its rather small.Once i was in a club and some idiot pinched my bum really hard as it was crowded i poured my drink all down the back of his trousers:D he had no idea who it was.
  • Options
    TalullahmayTalullahmay Posts: 5,962
    Forum Member
    I was waiting at the bus stop this morning and i had this man about 30 aggressively pap his horn at me (About 10 times) and he shouted "hi sexy girl eye eye".It wa awful i was fully clothed and it was rather embarrasing having others at the bus stop stare at me afterwoods.
    What gives these people the right to do this ? its intimidating and makes me feel uncomfortable.Does this happen to any of you?

I remember it well " now a distant memory":o
    Pervy men like this are a menace & pathetic & probably couldn't get a real women in their dream's...The only person who should feel embarressed it the Perv, Not you! I bet everyone at that bus stop was thinking, "What a Tanker"...:D
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet everyone at that bus stop was thinking, "What a Tanker"...:D

She didn't say what he was driving-could be a car or van!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It was one of those vans what a scrap man would use.
  • Options
    TalullahmayTalullahmay Posts: 5,962
    Forum Member

True:p
    Or a mororbike, Scooter,Could have been a mobility scooter too:D
  • Options
    MrQuikeMrQuike Posts: 18,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was one of those vans what a scrap man would use.

Most likely lowlife idiot then. What can you do? One nearly killed me the other day when I was out cycling. See the van expect the worst.
  • Options
    LnMidnaLnMidna Posts: 3,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only experienced this a handful of times (one of the benefits of having terrorist coloured skin is that men mainly ignore you. Unless they're middle aged.).

One car full of knuckle dragging scum followed me to the bus stop, tried to get my attention by yelling at me, then eventually gave up and went away. Quite what they hope to achieve, I don't know.

I've no idea why we're meant to be flattered by such attention.
  • Options
    Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I bet everyone at that bus stop was thinking, "What a Tanker"...:D

If he was driving a tanker, it might be to compensate for some phallic inadequacy which also prompted the sexual comments.
  • Options
    BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    kimotag wrote: »
    As a man, I find it embarrassing when my fellow males do this so aggressively. A quick toot on a horn to get someone to look their way is pretty naff, but fairly harmless. The type of thing you describe is a lot worse though. Recently I saw a van with two men in their 30's (at least) in it, honking at a young girl (14-16) sat at the bus stop. They then started to shout things at her, which was clearly making her uncomfortable. I glared at the smirking driver, which fortunately he noticed and then drove off. Total tosspots in my opinion!

This type of thing used to happen to me a lot when I was a schoolgirl in my mid teens. I looked a lot younger than my age too. It makes me think that there are an awful lot of pervy nonces out there. It's creepy. They always seem to target girls on their own too.
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does give me a bit of a jolt sometimes when I get a wolf whistle. Being in my early 40's it does give me quite a nice feeling, it doesn't offend me at all. It just reminds me that I'm not ready for the knackers yard yet.:D;)
  • Options
    vintage_girlvintage_girl Posts: 3,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stever7 wrote: »
    I'm in two minds about sexual harrasment. Don't get me wrong, I know it's real and I know it's a serious issue, however I feel in the PC world we live in it's been taken so OTT it's not actually possible to do much without it potentially being deemed "sexual harrasment".

Take the following message that was sent around my Uni recently;

What IS Sexual Harassment?

NUS have defined sexual harassment as any incidences of the following:

- Unwanted sexual comments (including comments about your body or private life)
    - Unwelcome sexual invitations, innuendoes and offensive gestures
    - Wolf-whistling, catcalling or offensive sexual noises
    - Groping, pinching or smacking your body
    - Having your skirt or top lifted without agreeing
    - Someone exposing their sexual organs to you without your consent

Now I understand and agree with groping, pinching, skirt/top lifted, exposing sexual organs and on the whole wolf-whistling, etc. However the top two make me rather irritated. Take the top one "Unwanted sexual comments (including comments about your body or private life)" this means that in theory nobody should EVER hook up with anyone else. Because how can you know if your comment is wanted or not? Imagine a night out, you go over to someone and say you think they look beautiful and then... you're done for sexual harrasment. Of course if Brad Pitt had done the exact same thing that's fine, that's wanted, but for you? Nope, you're out of line you ugly mug!

As I said the bottom 4 things are fair enough. But the top two sum up how OTT our society has become about not upsetting and offending anyone. We live in a world determained to make everything fit in a box, determained to insist that everything is black and white. It's not and thank the stars for that!

I suppose you just have to apply common sense, like with everything else. The sexual comments would become harrassment if it was clear that the person they're aimed at doesn't feel the same way, but the other peson continued.

I imagine it would apply more to the workplace than on a night out.

I do find it annoying though when people act like the driver the OP described. I doesn't bother me too much in the UK as thankfully the ignorant men like that driver are not a majority.

However, I studied in southern Spain for a semester and it happened ALL THE TIME. Not just to me, to other girls too. Men would whistle, call out and make stupid noises at us in the street, beep their horns, even come up to us and start hassling us when we were going about our business. It was mostly horrible old men too.

It got to the point where I dreaded leaving the house as it just wasn't worth the stress.

Flirting is one thing. Treating someone like a walking pair of boobs/legs and making them feel uncomfortable is different altogether.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was once wolfwhistled by a group of girls on the street.

Made my day....
  • Options
    iamsofirediamsofired Posts: 13,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jackboy18 wrote: »
    "Sexual harrasment"? Oh please. :rolleyes:

You should be grateful for receiving compliments. Your attitude is a reflection of the horrific society we now live in that labels men who flirt as some some kind of sex offender. Terrible attitude.

Daftest post ive ever read on DS.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 70
    Forum Member
    Pootmatoot wrote: »
    I was once wolfwhistled by a group of girls on the street.

Made my day....

They were whistling at your wife. Sorry, mate, it's the modern world.
  • Options
    PootmatootPootmatoot Posts: 15,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They were whistling at your wife. Sorry, mate, it's the modern world.

I was alone! Don't steal the magic!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bathsheba wrote: »
    This type of thing used to happen to me a lot when I was a schoolgirl in my mid teens. I looked a lot younger than my age too. It makes me think that there are an awful lot of pervy nonces out there. It's creepy. They always seem to target girls on their own too.

I've had this kind of thing since I was 12. I did look older, but I was still clearly underage. It was always much older men too! I always wondered what exactly they got out of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 26,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just ignored it when I was younger. Sadly (or perhaps not) I don't get the attention these days.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your being a prude.

Any of my friends (mostly women) get what you get they shout something back, it's just flirty banter ;)

I get my ass groped and squeezed when I'm in nightclubs, which I'm happy with :cool:

What I'm not OK about is this idea that it's alright for girls (or guys, but no guy has done it yet) to grab a feel of my d**k, it's AS disrespectful as me stroking their vagina's :mad:
  • Options
    ChristaChrista Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They just want you to notice them OP...

There's a fine line & sometimes if you're a teenager & on your own it can get a bit scary.

Not just if you're a teen tbh, it depends on the scenario...
  • Options
    academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jackboy18 wrote: »
    "Sexual harrasment"? Oh please. :rolleyes:

You should be grateful for receiving compliments. Your attitude is a reflection of the horrific society we now live in that labels men who flirt as some some kind of sex offender. Terrible attitude.

no, it's the chancer in the car and you who have the horrible attitude.
    Why on earth should anyone be grateful for the attentions of an oaf?
  • Options
    flowerpowaflowerpowa Posts: 24,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had this kind of thing since I was 12. I did look older, but I was still clearly underage. It was always much older men too! I always wondered what exactly they got out of it.

I had a lot of wolf whistles when I was in my teens, just laughed it off, never thought there was anything sinister about it at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your being a prude.

Any of my friends (mostly women) get what you get they shout something back, it's just flirty banter ;)

I get my ass groped and squeezed when I'm in nightclubs, which I'm happy with :cool:

What I'm not OK about is this idea that it's alright for girls (or guys, but no guy has done it yet) to grab a feel of my d**k, it's AS disrespectful as me stroking their vagina's :mad:

I tend to think that flirty banter is a two-way thing. And being in a club with your friends is a different scenario to standing at a bus stop on your own.
  • Options
    *weeschmoo**weeschmoo* Posts: 9,713
    Forum Member
    I hate it, it does my head in. I don't find it flattering at all.

I was out at the weekend (for the first time in ages) ths one bloke wouldn't leave me alone he was very drunk but it was a total nightmare, it got worse and worse as the night went on and I was about to wallop him until my husband stopped me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to think that flirty banter is a two-way thing. And being in a club with your friends is a different scenario to standing at a bus stop on your own.

I know I know. But like I said try shouting something back to embarrass him, or make him feel awkward. Try it :)

And the d**k groping doesn't just happen in clubs, it's happened a couple of times in School and whether it's a joke or not they wouldn't see the funny side if I groped them or rubbed them up.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Your being a prude.

It's a bit unfair though, to label someone a prude just because they don't want to be objectified by some stranger, while they're minding their own business. Just because your friends don't mind doesn't mean that other women should feel the same way.

And since when is it OK for a woman to grab a guys d**k in public? Never heard of that one!