Four in a Bed :: New Series (Part 2)

Comments

• CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    whatever54 wrote: »
    Veronica Pickles as Maitre d, nope I don't think that's her vocation either

Was there some speculation that she was Scandanvian or Bratislavian? She seems like a home counties prickley old biddy to me, lots of bluster about stuff and nonsense etc.
    And Pickles isnt terribly Danish now is it? :D

She might be better as a housekeeper in a care home, she could keep that spotless and it would be very worthwhile.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gilliedew wrote: »
    Best not to make personal comments about other posters

Its not personal,:confused: it's an observation that you do seem quite fixed with that issue.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not here it ain't! You must live in Lapland!

I'm further north in Southport near Liverpool and we went to the grand kids a few miles way in the light at 6pm. yeeeahhy blue skies :D
  • gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    Its not personal,:confused: it's an observation that you do seem quite fixed with that issue.

Best not go there anyway, it is not about the posters, it is about the programme
  • whatever54whatever54 Posts: 6,456
    Forum Member
    snip
    I think similar establishments would make them even more competitive and nit picking. I'd rather see them not told what is charged for a room and ask them to pay for the stay overall. Presently a lot of people seem to make 'fines', so regardless of how cheap the accomodation they still want to knock something off due to polycotton bedding :D (what a dreary patronising old bat she was)

snip.

yes true good point, not sure what the answer is, I still enjoy watching it mind. Tonight was a bit of an anti-climax and I think V&S should have at least attended breakfast so they could have judged and paid for that.
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,678
    Forum Member

The only thing I think they are fair about is that they choose to allow people to make their own toast so it's hot and plentiful rather than them rushing about replenishing it during serving the rest of breakfast. For some inexplicable reason, Paul thinks this is unacceptable. :confused:
    I like my toast hot.
    And, although it was considered something really strange this week, I always ask if I could have hot milk with my coffee (and so does OH)
    Last hotel we stayed in, at the weekend they had a very strange breakfast procedure and you had to do your own toast from a buffet table...it was a total nightmare, with hoards of people wandering around. It didn't work out well, not least as they needed many more toasters for the amount of diners and because the toaster performance itself was dire.

In short, the idea doesn't always work well in practice.
    Lizaj wrote: »
    I'm further north in Southport near Liverpool and we went to the grand kids a few miles way in the light at 6pm. yeeeahhy blue skies :D

*sigh* I miss oop north - we lose the light much sooner darn sarth.

Tally I've known of you for an absolute age, you and BG.
    Did we originally meet discussing the original Love Island? I forget exactly, it's in the mists of time.
    My screen keeps skipping about for some odd reason, so I can't even find your post to reply to properly - sorry.
  • riverside 57riverside 57 Posts: 14,380
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    yes true good point, not sure what the answer is, I still enjoy watching it mind. Tonight was a bit of an anti-climax and I think V&S should have at least attended breakfast so they could have judged and paid for that.

Yes, I agree with that, I thought it grossly unfair that their measly payment of £6.20 was calculated into the overall percentage for that B&B when they hadn't even had a look at the breakfast, never mind slept there and eaten! :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best not go there anyway, it is not about the posters, it is about the programme

I can hear buzzing :D
    Forum Member
    Was there some speculation that she was Scandanvian or Bratislavian? She seems like a home counties prickley old biddy to me, lots of bluster about stuff and nonsense etc.

She might be better as a housekeeper in a care home, she could keep that spotless and it would be very worthwhile.

haha I'm not sure where that come from or where she does either. People were saying they were both Lebanese:confused:

I think the Danish are fond of pickles as food but common surname:confused:
    I could see her as a strict matron at a boarding school. Housekeeper in care home, no way she'd be replacing the mattresses and chairs constantly due to bodily fluid stains
  • squadgesquadge Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i think if a participant refuses to stay tin the hotel/B&B (and we have been pushing the B&B bounds for awhile), then they should be eliminated. There is NO reason they cannot go to the owner and rexplain their problems and give the owner a chance to sort it. That's what we regular people do. Of course, we many times never see the owners (hosts) and we never get an activity or taken to dinner...
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK then, if you cant beat them, join them.

I thought Helen looked really scruffy today when payment was being made, much the same impression as her dusty room and stained mattress. Perhaps it is her usual dress & she only dressed up for the programme when visiting other establishments.

Helen looked scruffy today?! At least she bothered to look professional and smart. Her clothes, hair and make-up all looked really good.

Veronica & Saida looked scruffy everyday.

Old, tatty and dated clothes - the flying suit :eek:
    They are both badly in need of a trip to the hairdressers and perhaps a little make-up might help. It would them look a bit more smart & professional and just might make them feel better about themselves.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The £6.20 can be taken two ways can't it? As VPLs ( I'm sure you know how to translate it) to pay a cleaner to clean up after them OR because they hould have employed one in the first place. sorry those two managed to make themselves come across a sore losers, bitter and with issues. Now they do get some good reviews but are hopeless at respondong to criticism resorting to teacher-like slaps on the hand . And she sure was bleeped!
    I am quite surprised that the Welsh pub thinks it was a wise move to 'fess up to why the mattress was as it was.
    The right place won..it was lovely and what a great start for two young people in business, a responsbilty too. I think yurts will work..they are bound to appeal to some sections of society.
    Yes Ben was nice but you now I quite liked quirky old Paul!He doesn't find it easy to be gracious, does he? But I felt he was genuinely happy to be second to Ashlack
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Would you put your nearest and dearest in her care? :eek: :D
  • OndineOndine Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, I agree with that, I thought it grossly unfair that their measly payment of £6.20 was calculated into the overall percentage for that B&B when they hadn't even had a look at the breakfast, never mind slept there and eaten! :mad:

I suspect that when Ben pointed out to them that they had left it very late to complain and hadn't given the blondes a chance to put it right, that they realised they were in the wrong - which they were. They then felt that they wouldn't be very welcome for breakfast. I think it would have been better judged as three in a bed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

the only reason I can think that they dont just ask people to pay is because keeping the actual room rates a secret would be difficult.,

I remember a little pub B&B that was £35 a night an people were underpaying because there was dust on top of the wardrobe.
    Ridiculous, it wasn't the Ritz but at £35 for a comfy bed, a shower and breakfast, you couldnt argue it wasnt VFM. A point made well by posh couple who stayed at the backpool B&B and overpaid by about £20.
    SolarSail wrote: »
    I like my toast hot.
    And, although it was considered something really strange this week, I always ask if I could have hot milk with my coffee (and so does OH)
    Last hotel we stayed in, at the weekend they had a very strange breakfast procedure and you had to do your own toast from a buffet table...it was a total nightmare, with hoards of people wandering around. It didn't work out well, not least as they needed many more toasters for the amount of diners and because the toaster performance itself was dire.

In short, the idea doesn't always work well in practice.

I too noticed that hot milk in coffee was seen as fanciful nonsense, I see it as standard.
    I think making your own toast will only work in a fairly small place. I stayed in a big very modern hotel where freestyle breakfast was in the spacious and marble lobby. It was swarming and just an awful experience. You could, in theory, have what you wanted and as much as you liked, but the competition was too fierce. I grabbed a Muller lite and ran :D

I dont know what she was thinking.

One thing I noticed about Veronica is that when she was asked why she didnt allow Helen the option of showing her to another room, she thought and then replied (with refreshing honestly) that she didnt know.
    I wonder if her and Saida were smarting over the feedback from the previous day and they jumped on a chance to take revenge, in the cold light of day she couldn't justify it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    They really are The Odd Couple, I must admit, but I wish them all the best as they are really hard workers and as you say not really suited for the industry. It takes a bit of imagination but behind all that simmering indignation they might be a couple of real good time girls..........................or perhaps not:)

Hmm. A rather flattering comparison, seeing that Jenny Seagrave and Paula Wilcox took the lead roles in the London production for the female version. Still, you never know;)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

*sigh* I miss oop north - we lose the light much sooner darn sarth.
    :confused: You don't get further south than me, you'd fall of Britain if you did, and I was on the beach, in the light, at 5.40 today! Littleun was trying to keep away , he's terrified of the surf!
    Tally I've known of you for an absolute age, you and BG.
    Did we originally meet discussing the original Love Island? I forget exactly, it's in the mists of time.
    My screen keeps skipping about for some odd reason, so I can't even find your post to reply to properly - sorry.
    We did, with swingaleg remember, although I've been on DS for as long as I've had my laptop, I joined during the first Fame Academy.
    :D Oh lawd, that programme was a train wreck, one of the worst ever, with Soppy Anderton and Paul Danaan etc.
    But I cant remember a more hilarious forum, it had me shrieking with laughter at the wit of the posters. It was what made the programme. You had to watch it to appreciate the banter. Television Gold

:p And now I'm going to "out" BG and trawl up a link to her time on Coachtrip with the lovely Brendan. *ducks* We have Reality Royalty posting, straight from the horses' mouth so to speak. Although BG looks nothing like a horse, of course. :o

Have we got links to next week's 4IABedders? I've usually only lurked since the end of S1 but it's such a friendly thread, I think I'll delurk and start spouting my two-penn'orth
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 268
    Forum Member
    Ondine wrote: »
    BIB Seriously? Can you imagine what they'd be like if you said you didn't enjoy the food?

Saida might report you to Veronica. After that it would be the Naughty Step.
    Forum Member
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Helen looked scruffy today?! At least she bothered to look professional and smart. Her clothes, hair and make-up all looked really good.

Veronica & Saida looked scruffy everyday.

Old, tatty and dated clothes - the flying suit :eek:
    They are both badly in need of a trip to the hairdressers and perhaps a little make-up might help. It would them look a bit more smart & professional and just might make them feel better about themselves.

LMAO :D:D, I agree with all you say
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tally wrote: »
    :confused: You don't get further south than me, you'd fall of Britain if you did, and I was on the beach, in the light, at 5.40 today! Littleun was trying to keep away , he's terrified of the surf!

We did, with swingaleg remember, although I've been on DS for as long as I've had my laptop, I joined during the first Fame Academy.
    :D Oh lawd, that programme was a train wreck, one of the worst ever, with Soppy Anderton and Paul Danaan etc.
    But I cant remember a more hilarious forum, it had me shrieking with laughter at the wit of the posters. It was what made the programme. You had to watch it to appreciate the banter. Television Gold

:p And now I'm going to "out" BG and trawl up a link to her time on Coachtrip with the lovely Brendan. *ducks* We have Reality Royalty posting, straight from the horses' mouth so to speak. Although BG looks nothing like a horse, of course. :o

Have we got links to next week's 4IABedders? I've usually only lurked since the end of S1 but it's such a friendly thread, I think I'll delurk and start spouting my two-penn'orth

Aww. Little doggy. How sweet. ♥
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    haha I'm not sure where that come from or where she does either. People were saying they were both Lebanese:confused:

I think the Danish are fond of pickles as food but common surname:confused:
    I could see her as a strict matron at a boarding school. Housekeeper in care home, no way she'd be replacing the mattresses and chairs constantly due to bodily fluid stains
    I'm sure I read a conversation on here about Veronica possibly being Danish or similar. :confused: Maybe I dreamed it :D
    squadge wrote: »
    i think if a participant refuses to stay tin the hotel/B&B (and we have been pushing the B&B bounds for awhile), then they should be eliminated. There is NO reason they cannot go to the owner and rexplain their problems and give the owner a chance to sort it. That's what we regular people do. Of course, we many times never see the owners (hosts) and we never get an activity or taken to dinner...
    I think thats absolutely fair.
    Lizaj wrote: »
    The £6.20 can be taken two ways can't it? As VPLs ( I'm sure you know how to translate it) to pay a cleaner to clean up after them OR because they hould have employed one in the first place. .
    In fairness to V&S I thought they meant they paid for 1 hours cleaning after their short stay
    ewoodie wrote: »
    Would you put your nearest and dearest in her care? :eek: :D

No not in her personal care, but I'd put them in a care home where she was in charge of cleaning :D
    Forum Member
    Bellamy wrote: »
    Hmm. A rather flattering comparison, seeing that Jenny Seagrave and Paula Wilcox took the lead roles in the London production for the female version. Still, you never know;)

Well it is better than Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau:):)

I meant that they seemed an oddly matched pair if they were partners, no more than that.
  • owlloverowllover Posts: 7,980
    Forum Member

I liked Paul. I think he was wry and Ben & Katie totally got him and he got them, so that's good enough for me.
    I also disagree that their property has fallen into their lap. I doubt very much that it's theirs - as in theirs to sell.
    They seem like the continuing generation to me - having to find a new venture to make the place pay and good luck to them.

I'm intrigued that neither Paul nor Ben detected a smell in the room and I didn't reckon that either were the type to lie or defend the indefensible :confused:

Cherry, I'm one of those who advocates pitting like against like and I feel it would make for a far superior programme - much more appropriate criticism and for me anyway, much more interest.
    Pitting properites in the £40-£60 prpn bracket against £120-£195 prpn is pretty silly really. I want to see how hosts and owners who may well be in the same market, perform against each other.

For sure Dom and Steph of The Salutation may visit Blackpool and go and stay at the boys' show bar hotel seeing as they've met them, but never in a million years would that happen in the normal course of life events.

I'd be much more interested in the opinions of other competitors who are in the same bracket and market. That would have much more validity for me and we'd hear much less of I don't care and I don't want them back, anyway.

Thanks Solar. I so agree with the above that I don't need to think of how to to say it :)
  • OndineOndine Posts: 3,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bellamy wrote: »
    Saida might report you to Veronica. After that it would be the Naughty Step.

Nah, Veronica is too old-school for that. She tan my backside.
    Forum Member
    I also feel that pitting establishments that have staff with those who look after their own B&Bs is also not right along with the other inequalities mentioned.
This discussion has been closed.