Options

Pointy Dog Appreciation Thread

Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
Forum Member
A thread to celebrate and raise awareness of sighthounds and what fantastic pets they are. Salukis to Deerhounds, Italian Greyhounds to Afghans, if it's pointy, let's hear about it! I know we have several fans here who have Greyhounds, Lurchers and Whippets. Introduce your hound(s) and post a pic. :)

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    I've had connections with sighthound rescue for a few years now after adopting my previous lurcher. I now have a puppy that I got through my rescue contacts. He's a 6m old, black and white whippet called Tux.

Aaand if I can suss out how to share photobucket album via my phone I'll post pics too.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love pointies always wanted an Italian greyhound or whippet but sadly won't happen.

Looking forward to seeing everyone else's though !
  • Options
    pie-eyedpie-eyed Posts: 8,456
    Forum Member
    Our handsome devil (greyhound black/white) has been with us for six years and had brought so much to our lives. I've had other dogs who were hyper active and completely nuts. Greyhounds could not be more different. Our big man is quiet, well behaved, walks perfectly on the lead and never puts a paw wrong really. He lives with two cats without any problem, loves cuddles and sleeps for hours. The thing with greyhounds is that you can never get too old to look after them. They don't need much exercise, dont run about in the house, walk on the lead without pulling, and although they are large animals don't jump on you or knock you over. It is certainly true that once you have owned a greyhound you will never go for any other breed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Hey! Beat thread ever. :D a newbie pointy dog owner here, as you probably know! Archie/archer is well settled now, ruling the roost, chewing everything and sleeping the rest of the time! Had his first taste of the beach a few days ago, had a ball and is doing well on his recall.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My parents have two lurchers (staffie whippet x and bedlington whippet x), my sister has a suluki x and I have a greyhound. Will always have a pointy dog now. I keep trying to talk my partner round into letting me have another but he insists we need a bigger house first (despite the fact our grey takes up no room at all unless she is in our bed!).
  • Options
    AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have had 3 lurcher in the past (all got to the age of 15), lovley dogs every one of them. I now have a Saluki x a JRT and a Border collie x. My daughter had a whippet x and has now a deer hound.Can only agree, they are lovely dogs. Mind so are my other two. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Started my job yesterday and we have 6 lurches in, mostly grey crosses. Every single one is gentle and loving. One is very weary of new people, it the others just need homes, but due to their size noones looking at them :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are we allowed to post dogs that need new homes on this forum ? Seems we could help quite a few dogs that way.

Read the rules and it seems selling is against the rules but rehoming is not mentioned. Might be worth asking bazaar as I am sure it would help.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Are we allowed to post dogs that need new homes on this forum ? Seems we could help quite a few dogs that way.

Read the rules and it seems selling is against the rules but rehoming is not mentioned. Might be worth asking bazaar as I am sure it would help.

Yes, might see what the boss says..... I know they use Instagram.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    Started my job yesterday and we have 6 lurches in, mostly grey crosses. Every single one is gentle and loving. One is very weary of new people, it the others just need homes, but due to their size noones looking at them :(

My dog (adopted from a shelter) is half Basenji and half something unknown and ALL hound! I'd love a lurcher to keep with her - I'll definitely be looking for one in the future.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My dog (adopted from a shelter) is half Basenji and half something unknown and ALL hound! I'd love a lurcher to keep with her - I'll definitely be looking for one in the future.

The poor lurches at ours just get overlooked because they don't really show thier character until you get to know them. We are going to start putting vids up to see if that helps. But every single one (we have 3 ATM) is loveing, mostly clam (unless playing) and gentle, they are all great with other dogs. I'd take all three if I didn't have a cat (none are cat safe!).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Met two lovely pointies this morning, one was a whippet beautiful delicate creature who played with Betty, and a gentle grey who made friends with Molliepops. Both were rescues and had not been in their new homes long. Sad these gorgeous creatures had been rehomed although their new homes are fabulous I just wonder why people get them if they are not going to love them forever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Met two lovely pointies this morning, one was a whippet beautiful delicate creature who played with Betty, and a gentle grey who made friends with Molliepops. Both were rescues and had not been in their new homes long. Sad these gorgeous creatures had been rehomed although their new homes are fabulous I just wonder why people get them if they are not going to love them forever.

Two of ours are strays and poundies ( one heavily pregnant when we got her) and the other was used for hunting, then dumped. :(
  • Options
    farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Two of ours are strays and poundies ( one heavily pregnant when we got her) and the other was used for hunting, then dumped. :(

Yes, a lot of the Greys who don't quite make the grade in Racing often find themselves getting used for hunting or coursing. Lovely dogs
  • Options
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Some links for anyone considering taking on a sighthound. :)

Retired Greyhound Trust Information and examples of why greyhounds make great pets and therapy dogs. Part 2.

Lurcher Link forums. Information, hounds for adoption and a community of hound fans.

Scruples Whippet Rescue. Information and hounds for adoption.
  • Options
    AbsolutelyAbsolutely Posts: 1,993
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Love those pics. :)
  • Options
    JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How have I missed this thread!!!!!

Have any other hounds been really struggling with the heat? One of ours is just not herself at the mo, not eating much, not wanting to walk much and sleeping more than usual :eek:
  • Options
    bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love this thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just gorgeous :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JJ75 wrote: »
    How have I missed this thread!!!!!

Have any other hounds been really struggling with the heat? One of ours is just not herself at the mo, not eating much, not wanting to walk much and sleeping more than usual :eek:

No my boys been fine, I've had to make sure he's kept out the sun though as he likes to sunbathe and being black he's likely to overheat!

Will try to post some pics tomorrow when I'm at home, he's getting so huge!

And following on from arrhawasp!'s post, any one who's looking for a lurcher, pm me - we have several lovely ones in, waiting for homes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here we go, from teeny tiny to giant big foot.

http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/Georgina_Martin/library/Archie
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here we go, from teeny tiny to giant big foot.

http://s1175.photobucket.com/user/Georgina_Martin/library/Archie

Aww he's so cute! Love him keeking over the chute. :D

Tux doesn't like the warm weather either, he hasn't been enthusiastic about going for a walk/run.

This pic was taken a couple of weeks ago after he was neutered. What it doesn't show is that he's stretched out hogging the fan! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww he's so cute! Love him keeking over the chute. :D

Tux doesn't like the warm weather either, he hasn't been enthusiastic about going for a walk/run.

This pic was taken a couple of weeks ago after he was neutered. What it doesn't show is that he's stretched out hogging the fan! :D

I love how they stretch out to fill up the sofa :D

How do you post your photo's ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    He was making sure I couldn't steal any of his cool breeze!

Right click on my fb pic, copy image url.

Write text here, highlight.

Click the link icon (globe above text box) to get pop up.

Delete the http bit that's already in the pop up.

Right click and paste image url.

There's probably an easier way to do it, but that's my method. :)