Options

The Price of a Pint

Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
Forum Member
✭✭
Question for all you boozers.

How much is the price of a pint nowadays? My mate says beer has gone up by 50p a pint and he's now paying £2.45 a pint where he goes drinking.

I know prices vary but what i'm asking is if this is correct? Has 50p gone on all beer prices....irrespective of variations? I don't drink in this country so have no way of knowing.

Comments

• Options
    arfcdfarfcdf Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Bulletguy1 wrote: »

How much is the price of a pint nowadays? My mate says beer has gone up by 50p a pint and he's now paying £2.45 a pint where he goes drinking.

I know prices vary but what i'm asking is if this is correct? Has 50p gone on all beer prices....irrespective of variations? I don't drink in this country so have no way of knowing.

£2.45! That's absurd. where I live it's little more than when I were a lad - 20p
  • Options
    Toby LaRhoneToby LaRhone Posts: 12,916
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea what he means.
    50p over what period?
    Depending on where I choose to drink I can pay from £2.40 (Wetherspoons) to £3.10 (my local) to £4+
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Depends on where you drink and the surrounding pubs.

There is a Wetherspoons in the centre of town. It obviously has good prices for drink.
    That means that to compete the surrounding pubs have to put on offers to get people in.

Some of the pubs further away don't have the problem as they have different clientel.
  • Options
    StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    £3.65 where i work!!
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My city, Wakefield, is quite cheap for drinking, but most cater to the PIAG* trade.

Decent pints are available at better establishments where £3.40+ is the norm.

*PIAG = piss in a glass (i.e. Cheap, tasteless, fizz)
  • Options
    MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wetherspoon's has a beer festival on at the moment. I popped in to my local one (in N London) on Friday evening paid £2.15 a pint.
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Migster wrote: »
    Wetherspoon's has a beer festival on at the moment. I popped in to my local one (in N London) on Friday evening paid £2.15 a pint.

What about your average local pub down there?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No idea what he means.
    50p over what period?
    Depending on where I choose to drink I can pay from £2.40 (Wetherspoons) to £3.10 (my local) to £4+
    Apparently recent. He goes for a few jars once a week and was telling me yesterday it was £1.95 for some time, then a few weeks ago shot up to £2.45.

Yes he mentioned Wetherspoons is cheaper.....but i assumed by what he was saying was all beer prices had increased by 50p? ie if £1 then now £1.50. If £2 now £2.50 and so on.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    £1.99 for a real ale in my local Wetherspoon's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    £1.99 for a real ale in my local Wetherspoon's.
    So what was it say a few weeks ago....£1.49?

What i'm asking is has there been a 50p increase on a pint across the board?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No.
    He might have been drinking a heavily discounted beer that is no longer available at that price.
    £1.95 really is a ridiculously cheap pint.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member

It's been £1.99 or thereabout for ages.
  • Options
    MigsterMigster Posts: 4,204
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    What about your average local pub down there?

I'd say on average you're looking at £4.00 - £4.50 a pint.
  • Options
    PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You struggle to get change from £1.50 in London these days.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You struggle to get change from £1.50 in London these days.
    We're talking beer not crisps.
  • Options
    Wbc-WorkerWbc-Worker Posts: 815
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Heineken Lager £4.75 but I was in a very trendy pub in Camden last Thursday.

At the weekend its packed out { they have seats in the beer garden for 300 and even in the winter that will be chock a block as well }
  • Options
    Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    A local near me is doing £1 a pint, £1 selected bottles and £1 spirit with mixer all through winter, all day and every night except fri sat nights.
  • Options
    HypnodiscHypnodisc Posts: 22,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excluding Wetherspoons and possibly places like Yates you're looking at a good £3.50-£4.50 a pint around here in Buckinghamshire.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gordie1 wrote: »
    A local near me is doing £1 a pint, £1 selected bottles and £1 spirit with mixer all through winter, all day and every night except fri sat nights.
    What beer are they flogging at £1 a pint?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Honestly i havent been on to try since they started it, its a nice big pub on the seafront as well, and the same prices apply to the guys nightclub he has in town as well.
  • Options
    TrebleKingTrebleKing Posts: 2,390
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £2.90 for a pint of Strongbow in my wee town near Glasgow. £2.20 in any Wetherspoons near me, though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Actuall, just looked at the flyer online, and it says All draught beer £1, i usually drink carling in there, or coors light if im feeling flush, if they are still serving coors light, and its a £1, i might move in.:D
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    About 4 / 5 quid here. If you don't wanna drink piss beer.
  • Options
    vosnevosne Posts: 14,131
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I accidentally bought a pint of Sapporo last night for about 6 quid. And promptly launched it over Ms Vosne. Ooops.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So judging by the responses there hasn't actually been a price increase of 50p on a pint across the board? Am i right in assuming that?

I realise you pay silly money for a pint in parts of London but wasn't asking 'how much do you pay for a pint where you live'.