Options

Friends with benefits

JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
Forum Member
✭✭✭
As the title says really!

Does anyone know if these relationships can actually work? What do men think of women who are up for this kind of thing ?

Any advice appreciated :)

Comments

• Options
    cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    JJ75 wrote: »

Does anyone know if these relationships can actually work? What do men think of women who are up for this kind of thing ?

Yes they can work if you both know where you stand in advance. And if neither of you are doing it because you have secret feelings

If they guy is up for it then he SHOULDN'T think anything of the girl as he is doing the same....But then that is how it should be not how it is sadly
  • Options
    Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    It can work if they are on JSA but much better if you can get someone on ESA with all the allowances and preferably additional health issues and therefore permits and stuff. Great for parking space at the supermarket and all that kind of stuff. The best friends anyone can have. :)

Sorry, just seemed like a funny idea.

As to your actual topic - I've no idea. It wouldn't suit me but I guess if either party is happy with the arrangement then they'll be fine with it. Problems occur if one party wants something different, I suppose, the same with any relationship type of issue.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Does anyone know if these relationships can actually work?

Yes they can.

What do men think of women who are up for this kind of thing ?

I should imagine if they have one they think they are great, if they do not have one they would think they are slags.

Advice on what exactly?
    How to get one or how to handle it if you do have one?
  • Options
    HystericGlamourHystericGlamour Posts: 371
    Forum Member
    I prefer to just call them f**k buddies. Yes, of course I have to like them personally, but the friendship ends out of the bedroom.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. I have had a friend for over 20 years, never looked at him that way until recently. Am confused by the whole concept :confused:

We would never work in a "proper" relationship but the sex side is very tempting. The only thing is I dont want him to see me as an easy lay!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the replies. I have had a friend for over 20 years, never looked at him that way until recently. Am confused by the whole concept :confused:

We would never work in a "proper" relationship but the sex side is very tempting. The only thing is I dont want him to see me as an easy lay!

If you want to keep him as a friend then don't go there!
  • Options
    mrsgrumpy49mrsgrumpy49 Posts: 10,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A friend who was living on Bali had a 'friends with benefits' relationship with a local man. Then one day he announced that it was time to get married and unfortunately it couldn't be her as she was too old :confused: She was gutted and realised that over time it had become much more than that to her :( So that's the risk you run.
    That said I did once start a' friends with benefits' relationship with a plumber who came to fix a leaky radiator and left his grip behind. It ended when he overcharged me for servicing my boiler >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    That said I did once start a' friends with benefits' relationship with a plumber who came to fix a leaky radiator and left his grip behind.

There's something strangely erotic about that.
    It ended when he overcharged me for servicing my boiler.
    Maybe you misconstrued what the extra charges were for? :p
  • Options
    soulboy77soulboy77 Posts: 24,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's a relationship of convenience no more, no less. It only works as long as both parties want it to and shouldn't be looked upon as anything but a short term arrangement. If they are a real friend and you want to keep them as one then don't go there in the first place is my advice.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It can work, but it's very easy to catch feelings.
  • Options
    JulesFJulesF Posts: 6,461
    Forum Member

If you're after a f*** buddy, you'd be much better off finding someone who you don't already have a history with. Your friendship with this man may or may not last out the sex side of things, but it will certainly be changed forever.
  • Options
    benayounbenayoun Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    I guess some of it depends on your age. I has a FWB in our late 40's, it worked fantastically for us.. He taught me a lot about men (not least that there are two kinds of womanisers, those that do it cos they love women, those that do it cos they hate them).

I miss him.
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JulesF wrote: »
    If you're after a f*** buddy, you'd be much better off finding someone who you don't already have a history with. Your friendship with this man may or may not last out the sex side of things, but it will certainly be changed forever.

I agree with that. Much easier to keep him at arm's length if you don't already have a different kind of relationship with him.
  • Options
    Aarghawasp!Aarghawasp! Posts: 6,205
    Forum Member
    soulboy77 wrote: »
    It's a relationship of convenience no more, no less. It only works as long as both parties want it to and shouldn't be looked upon as anything but a short term arrangement. If they are a real friend and you want to keep them as one then don't go there in the first place is my advice.

Agreed. It can work providing both parties know the score. Risky with a long term genuine friend though, if it doesn't work out the friendship might not survive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the answers!! I think its because he is a good friend that I'm even considering it but I also know the friendship will be damaged in some way. I have never done anything like this before but I have found myself in a rut recently so thought trying something new maybe good.:blush:

Will have a think on.
  • Options
    Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member

Well if you've known him for 20 years and you havent dropped your knickers yet, you can hardly be classed as an easy lay.

Unless of course, knowing him for 20 years, you have talked about your previous conquests of man and he knows you drop em' for certain anyway after a couple of shandys.

Think about what you are saying here. Chances are he is going to know a lot about you anyway.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    I ended up with a broken heart from one of these arrangements.
    Really good friend and we got drunk one night and it just happened.
    And kept happening for about 4 months.
    We maybe weren't too clever about it as we did things like go places, spend time together, lots of hugging and hugging to sleep. Too many blurred lines.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shmisk wrote: »
    I ended up with a broken heart from one of these arrangements.
    Really good friend and we got drunk one night and it just happened.
    And kept happening for about 4 months.
    We maybe weren't too clever about it as we did things like go places, spend time together, lots of hugging and hugging to sleep. Too many blurred lines.

:o A big no no!! If there's one thing that makes me fall for someone its that.
  • Options
    shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    :o A big no no!! If there's one thing that makes me fall for someone its that.

I agree

I was left feeling a bit like I wasn't good enough for anything other then sex, and as a pretend girlfriend without having to put any effort in

I will never get involved in anything like that again

We did manage to rescue our friendship though - which is unusual.

If you want to read lots on FWB go to the loveshack forums, and their friends and lovers section
  • Options
    deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    ....I don't get how a FWB scenario would actually work though?

People say 'no hugging' - does that mean then, also no kissing, no touching and no cuddling? Is it literally, drop your knickers/pants, do the deed, get dressed and then its, "......bye - see you next week"?!!! :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the answers!! I think its because he is a good friend that I'm even considering it but I also know the friendship will be damaged in some way. I have never done anything like this before but I have found myself in a rut recently so thought trying something new maybe good.:blush:

Will have a think on.

I would personally stay well clear of having sex with a long term friend, your friendship will never be the same if you go ahead and have sex with him.

Being in a rut I presume means not in a relationship and fancying a bit of rumpy pumpy, that right?
    If so there are plenty of ways to go about that that will not compromise a good friendship.

The thing is with these type of relationships is often one will fall for the other and see the 'arrangement' in a totally different way to the other person.
    You have to be tough in one way to keep those feelings out of things, especially as a woman.
    Not many women can see sex as sex like men can you see in my experience.
    I can as I do not get romantically involved.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    ....I don't get how a FWB scenario would actually work though?

People say 'no hugging' - does that mean then, also no kissing, no touching and no cuddling? Is it literally, drop your knickers/pants, do the deed, get dressed and then its, "......bye - see you next week"?!!! :confused:

For me it is just like dating, we go out for meals and stay at hotels and such things and end up doing the other stuff after.
    I do exactly the same as I would do with a boyfriend/husband which means kissing cuddling and the like.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a FwB and it works for us. My wife knows all about it. She has a f*** buddy as that's all they do but with my fwb we go out for drinks and meals, and we don't always end up f***ing, in fact maybe only one time in three.

Honestly all around and it works.
  • Options
    AaronWxAaronWx Posts: 2,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It wouldn't work for me. I can only have sex with somebody I love.
  • Options
    Lordy LordyLordy Lordy Posts: 1,683
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

What, after 20 years, are you for real?:D