Atlantic FM sold to Global

Comments

• Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    If UKRDs bid had been accepted by Atlantic it would have immediately triggered an investigation by the Competition Commission, and rightly so. There's no way that one company should be allowed to own the only two commercial radio licences in one county.

Celador? Well, as someone else pointed out, that would only really work if Exeter, Palm and Plymouth were bought at the same time, assuming Celador wanted a south west Breeze. A stand alone, largely automated Jack might have also been an option. But even under that model, local news would have been hubbed in Southampton or Bristol.

So unltimately, Heart is the ideal "fit" for Cornwall. Local news bulletins - a promise of extra local hours which they technically don't have to provide, smart networking and a heritage ILR keeping it live and local.
  • DoctorDaveDoctorDave Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It would make sense for UKRD to pick up Exe, Plymouth and Palm, maybe provide a separate Breakfast show and voice tracked the rest of the time, and call it Pirate FM Devon..

That's rather assuming that the three stations you mention might be up for sale, which I doubt that they are. Radio Exe has recently rebranded under new ownership, Palm has a growing set of figures and Radio Plymouth is,,,er Radio Plymouth, and quite "old school" IBA orientated. Each has it's own identity.Pirate has a definable Cornish element which wouldn't translate too well across the Tamar.........
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DoctorDave wrote: »
    That's rather assuming that the three stations you mention might be up for sale, which I doubt that they are.
    Can you see Radio Exe lasting that long? Look at Banbury Sound, Atlantic FM, Newbury Sound, Andover Sound, Star Cheltenham (rumoured to become The Breeze). The people running these stations do so with the best of intentions, but soon comes a time they stop ploughing money in, if they see no returns and a group comes knocking.

Radio Plymouth and Palm might be doing ok but are they making money, could UKRD run them for less for greater profit?
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member

So unltimately, Heart is the ideal "fit" for Cornwall. Local news bulletins - a promise of extra local hours which they technically don't have to provide, smart networking and a heritage ILR keeping it live and local.

Are these extra local hours specifically for Cornwall or still part of Devon?
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So for how long I wonder did Heart promise to the Atlantic owners to keep some Cornish specific output- 12 months, 2 years? Global always do the minimum they can get away with and will want to merge output with Devon as soon as they can.
  • SouthCitySouthCity Posts: 12,355
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DoctorDave wrote: »
    That's rather assuming that the three stations you mention might be up for sale, which I doubt that they are. Radio Exe has recently rebranded under new ownership, Palm has a growing set of figures and Radio Plymouth is,,,er Radio Plymouth, and quite "old school" IBA orientated. Each has it's own identity.Pirate has a definable Cornish element which wouldn't translate too well across the Tamar.........

I'm afraid they are all losing money according to the last accounts lodged at Companies House.

The "growing set of [audience] figures" you refer to will not be enough to prevent a sale if the companies are looking at losses for the foreseeable future.

Every business is for sale if the offer is right. Remember that Celador can afford to be generous because they only need to pay for one breakfast and one drive show (plus Devon bulletins) across all three stations. The rest can come from Southampton.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So for how long I wonder did Heart promise to the Atlantic owners to keep some Cornish specific output- 12 months, 2 years? Global always do the minimum they can get away with and will want to merge output with Devon as soon as they can.
    I can't imagine why the sale would have been conditional on that though?
  • northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't imagine why the sale would have been conditional on that though?

Its like the old brewery mergers of the sixties, the selling Board assuages its guilt by getting a bit of a lukewarm committment from the new owners to continuing local production that they can sell to locals as a win win situation, but knowing full well that the reality will be that the Watneys Red will be behind the bars and the brewery closed before the year is out!
  • Peace100Peace100 Posts: 3,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can you see Radio Exe lasting that long? Look at Banbury Sound, Atlantic FM, Newbury Sound, Andover Sound, Star Cheltenham (rumoured to become The Breeze). The people running these stations do so with the best of intentions, but soon comes a time they stop ploughing money in, if they see no returns and a group comes knocking.

Radio Plymouth and Palm might be doing ok but are they making money, could UKRD run them for less for greater profit?

Of course UKRD could run them at a greater profit...they would not employ anyone, not have any studios etc, just a feed from somewhere else with local ids..is that what we want for these stations? I think not. In my listening I find UKRD stations awful cheap bland radio..nothing live after 7 and just back to back music...at least do some decent VT or networking...oh but that would cost money!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Peace100 wrote: »
    is that what we want for these stations?
    I'm not saying it's what I want, I'm saying it would possibly be a sensible move in terms of business.

At the end of the day there will most likely be a day when the owners of these stations want out, if the rest of country is anything to go by and the fact they don't make money.

I think it's potentially more interesting if UKRD takes over those stations, rather than them closing down or they become The Breeze.
  • James Martin 2James Martin 2 Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think Banbury Sound is a textbook example of great intentions that were simply commercially unviable.
  • Mike_PMike_P Posts: 489
    Forum Member
    If UKRDs bid had been accepted by Atlantic it would have immediately triggered an investigation by the Competition Commission, and rightly so. There's no way that one company should be allowed to own the only two commercial radio licences in one county.

Eh? Yorkshire Coast, Minster, Stray, (fresh), Star NE - seem to have North Yorkshire all to themselves
  • Harris TweedHarris Tweed Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mike_P wrote: »
    Eh? Yorkshire Coast, Minster, Stray, (fresh), Star NE - seem to have North Yorkshire all to themselves

But aren't they all individual TSAs without a significant overlap?

Atlantic and Pirate have virtually the same patch.
  • -ajm--ajm- Posts: 5,839
    Forum Member
    But aren't they all individual TSAs without a significant overlap?

Atlantic and Pirate have virtually the same patch.

They use exactly the same transmitter sites.
  • FusionLadFusionLad Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A surprisingly informative Q&A on Atlantic FM's website. It confirms that Victoria Leigh will present the Cornish Drivetime, so congratulations to her.
    Where will the shows be broadcast from?

The peak-time programming for Cornwall (weekdays 6am-10am and 4pm-7pm plus weekends 8am-12noon) will come from our ‘centre of broadcasting excellence’ in Exeter and the output will be shared with our Heart stations in Devon. At all other times, the shows will be broadcast from studios in Leicester Square, London including the Big Top 40 chart show on Sundays.

: Will there be local news bulletins for Cornwall?

There will be local news on the hour, every hour between 6am and 6pm every weekday and from 8am to 12noon on Saturdays and Sundays. The bulletins will be broadcast from the studios in Exeter but we will use field reporters to cover stories across Cornwall. The news-team already has strong relationships with newsmakers in the region.

: Who will present the shows?

Heart Breakfast is broadcast every weekday from 6am to 10am. Heart Drivetime will broadcast every weekday from 4pm to 7pm specifically for listeners in Cornwall and will be presented by Victoria Leigh. Heart’s network presenters include Toby Anstis, Emma Bunton and Jason Donovan

http://www.atlantic.fm/on-air/heart-q-and-a/
  • KempoKempo Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing here to say the news bulletins will be specific to Cornwall; suspect they will be the existing Devon bulletins with the odd Cornwall story. How long will the 4 to 7 pm show last.....probably as long as a format change takes to reduce the speech requirement...hopefully I'm wrong, but we shall see.:confused:
  • overlineoverline Posts: 1,898
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kempo wrote: »
    How long will the 4 to 7 pm show last...

..probably as long as 3 hours. :p
  • FusionLadFusionLad Posts: 1,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    overline wrote: »
    ..probably as long as 3 hours. :p

I had to resist that one :p:D
  • Harris TweedHarris Tweed Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How long will the 4 to 7 pm show last.....probably as long as a format change takes to reduce the speech requirement...hopefully I'm wrong, but we shall see.:confused:

<cynic>

*wonders idly how long Victoria has left to run on her Atlantic contract*

</cynic>
  • KempoKempo Posts: 662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Presumeably we are now hours away from the station name being dropped and endless bouts of "heart is coming"...sigh....:(
    Forum Member
    Presumeably we are now hours away from the station name being dropped and endless bouts of "heart is coming"...sigh....:(

When I tuned to Atlantic's webstream it just was Heart, but this was overnight during All 80's All Night, has the overnight on FM become Heart already?
  • RodneyRodney Posts: 4,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got this email from Atlantic today ...

Heart Is Coming…and we’re really looking forward to joining you in Cornwall!

From Monday 7th May, Atlantic FM will become Heart Cornwall – broadcasting More Music Variety and an unbeatable mix of local shows, news, events, traffic and weather.
    We’ll have the most up-to-date showbiz and celebrity news and photos as well as big cash competitions and big-name presenters.
    The Heart Angels will be out-and-about next month at some of the major events across the county, such as the Helston Flora Day and the St Ives Food and Drink Festival.

Our presenters Toby Anstis, Nick Snaith, Simon Dale, Emma Bunton and Jason Donovan and our online team will be keeping a check on the very latest in celebrity gossip and pictures.

Among our many competitions, you could be in the running for exclusive concert tickets and maybe even an intimate meet-and-greet session with a top music star.

To find out more about the change-over to Heart, see our Questions and Answers ...and we’ll see you on May 7th!

You received this email because you have registered with Atlantic FM. Unsubscribe - Privacy PolicyAtlantic Broadcasting Limited, Wheal Kitty Workshops, St. Agnes, Cornwall, TR5 0RD | 01872 554400
    Company Registration Number 04992498
  • SmartProgrammerSmartProgrammer Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I tuned to Atlantic's webstream it just was Heart, but this was overnight during All 80's All Night, has the overnight on FM become Heart already?

Atlantic have been running the "All 80's...All Night" log since March 23rd.
  • neilusneilus Posts: 354
    Forum Member
    They must be doing some sort of test transmissions for Heart FM at the moment, I had music clashing with the news from Sky, and just before the news there was a 1KHz tone in the background! All other times there's tone that sounds every now and again in the background.
    Forum Member
    Atlantic have been running the "All 80's...All Night" log since March 23rd.

But it wasn't just the same music log, it was Heart, complete with idents and adverts.