Options

Three 4G Discussion Thread (Part 2)

Comments

• Options
    jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, Ofcom made ISPs do that some time ago. However, I would like to know if there's an artificial cap in place.

Not that I'd be writing to EE to moan about not being able to get 150-200Mbps, but I'd like to know it was possible when I have a Cat 6 device and am using 1800/2600 that's capable of 300Mbps (in theory).

I was told that 180Mbps was possible from Hatfield, but by someone who worked at EE and had got that himself. Obviously he has no cap on his account. So, that means I'm technically 'losing' 80Mbps!

Now if I'm downloading a large file, 180Mbps is beneficial to me. I get my file quicker (and am happy) and the network is free to serve other people sooner. The problem comes if I was to start file sharing and use up all the available bandwidth, but given EE doesn't offer unlimited data - the latter shouldn't really ever be a problem.
  • Options
    mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Anyone noticed over the past couple of days that the 4G coverage on Three's checker has been significantly reduced?

It must be a glitch, I just thought they'd have it fixed pretty quickly, but no it's still showing worse coverage right now:
    http://imgur.com/a/jAWfN

I know Three's 4G rollout is a bit slow but now it looks like it's going backwards :D
  • Options
    lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can think of some reasons for this if it's not a glitch but it'll require someone far more in the know to confirm.

1) It reflects the move towards -126dBm as the cutoff as japaul indicated they were doing I think.

2) The coverage map was so crap that they've been forced to change it.

Or it could just be a fault :D
  • Options
    Pedro_CPedro_C Posts: 906
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've definitely scaled the map back slightly here, still a little on the exaggeration side IMO. Looks like they've 4G'd the Wonersh site, which is just darn weird, there are much more important sites which need 4G'ing.

EDIT: Not sure who predicted their Coverage in Yeadon (Yorkshire). The coverage round their 4G site is predicted almost non-existent and there's a big lump of indoor coverage in West Carlton which is complete rubbish.
  • Options
    mupet0000mupet0000 Posts: 629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pedro_C wrote: »
    They've definitely scaled the map back slightly here, still a little on the exaggeration side IMO. Looks like they've 4G'd the Wonersh site, which is just darn weird, there are much more important sites which need 4G'ing.

EDIT: Not sure who predicted their Coverage in Yeadon (Yorkshire). The coverage round their 4G site is predicted almost non-existent and there's a big lump of indoor coverage in West Carlton which is complete rubbish.

This is why I think it's a glitch. There's places showing outdoor coverage where I know there's 4G Three masts. But then some of it actually looks like it's been scaled back. So maybe it's a bit of both and the missing sites will be restored but with a smaller footprint...
  • Options
    Jack_Wilson2Jack_Wilson2 Posts: 2,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone in Kingston Upon Hull? There's a live 4G network in the city center (Unsure how far it stretched but it appears to only of been activated today) Did notice it only takes to go a few streets away to go to 1 bar.

https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t34.0-12/11855376_866162206803571_879973012_n.jpg?oh=7bf1576acd27c741d39c0d1afafd1b83&oe=55C3AAE6

https://scontent-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpt1/v/t34.0-12/11844056_866166176803174_2120978827_n.jpg?oh=c0f93982a2728813060e07e9c60981a6&oe=55C39FE1
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was in Hull a week or two ago. I'm guessing by the appearance of 4G, they're not relying on two microwave inks to beam all the data south of the Humber any more.
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    T-mob used to cap contract and sim only at around 3.5mbps for ages. Just ask Paul at MoDaCo who reported on it. A few years ago now.

A 100mbps cap isn't going to worry many as I've only seen 68 max once and typically 35 to 45.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The caps used to 1.8 and 3.6Mbps. On T-Mobile there were distinct tariffs, while on Orange it was more confusing. If you had a 3G tariff with an iPhone, you were uncapped. Otherwise it was capped at 1.8Mbps.

I never understood why only iPhone owners got the full speed (of course, back then full speed was either 3.6 or 7.2 generally - and some sites were still stuck on 2G and EDGE only).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wonersh Seminary has definitely been upgraded. The coverage map is still dramatically exaggerating the coverage. Well within the predicted outdoor coverage, I was getting -136dBm and totally unusable data.
  • Options
    nigelbbnigelbb Posts: 1,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have just started work in Boston Lincolnshire & was pleased with Three 3G coverage & performance (around 11+Mbps down & 2+Mbps up) but this week they appear to have rolled out 4G & the speeds are now 45+Mbps down & 20+Mbps up.

I am currently staying in a hotel & the place that I am moving to in a few weeks has BT Infinity 2 76Mbps available but as I am still on The One Plan until at least next March I don't think that I will be needing that.
  • Options
    fmradiotuner1fmradiotuner1 Posts: 20,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    In Clacton when I search networks it does come up 3 4G however my phone just does not connect to this?
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/30539771@N00/19729089034/in/dateposted-public/
    Is the signal still to week and could this be coming all way from Colchester or some where else such as Ipswich?
    If so its going really far just shame it will not connect.
  • Options
    Denco1Denco1 Posts: 3,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi
    In Clacton when I search networks it does come up 3 4G however my phone just does not connect to this?
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/30539771@N00/19729089034/in/dateposted-public/
    Is the signal still to week and could this be coming all way from Colchester or some where else such as Ipswich?
    If so its going really far just shame it will not connect.
    I'm guessing that is an LG G3, if so you can find the code which runs service mode, and then you can lock your phone to LTE only and then check the LTE information which will tell you if it is low signal, a site on test or a site broadcasting 800MHz so you can't connect to it.
  • Options
    Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Denco1 wrote: »
    I'm guessing that is an LG G3, if so you can find the code which runs service mode, and then you can lock your phone to LTE only and then check the LTE information which will tell you if it is low signal, a site on test or a site broadcasting 800MHz so you can't connect to it.

3845#*855#
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On LTE only it still will not lock on.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    On LTE only it still will not lock on.
    That probably rules out low signal and means it is either a test site or a 800MHz site. If your phone isn't showing any attempt to connect it is probably 800MHz. The way to check this is to select band 20 then run the network scan again, if 3 4G shows then it is a 800MHz signal.
  • Options
    lightspeed2398lightspeed2398 Posts: 2,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a feeling it's 800 only site. My Nexus 5 does the same at my house. Can get Three 800MHz signal but not normal signal. I can see it still on a LTE Only scan.
  • Options
    jaffboy151jaffboy151 Posts: 1,933
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can anyone tell me that when (or if) three launch there 800mhz volte, will I need a three Samsung galaxy note 4 (one with the three software version of android) to work or will a standard sim only version be OK? I ask this as before I decided to donate it to a random taxi cab in Newcastle my previous note 4 had three branding on it, the one I have now is just a plain sim only, network scan information is less detailed too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seems its 800MHz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So does this mean I might get 4G come autumn like it says here
    http://blog.three.co.uk/2015/04/23/volte-comes-to-three/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jaffboy151 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me that when (or if) three launch there 800mhz volte, will I need a three Samsung galaxy note 4 (one with the three software version of android) to work or will a standard sim only version be OK? I ask this as before I decided to donate it to a random taxi cab in Newcastle my previous note 4 had three branding on it, the one I have now is just a plain sim only, network scan information is less detailed too.
    I'm not 100% certain but all the evidence is pointing towards you needing three software unless you are willing to change you CSC settings.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So does this mean I might get 4G come autumn like it says here
    http://blog.three.co.uk/2015/04/23/volte-comes-to-three/
    Almost definitely, that's if Three launch on time, that would be a new concept to them however;-)
  • Options
    GigabitGigabit Posts: 8,768
    Forum Member
    Is the G3 the only phone that will let you do 800MHz checks?
  • Options
    ThreeThree Posts: 1,160
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ew.. what the hell happened to the Three Coverage checker? (Haven't checked it for months) The map is only marginally filling half my screen.

Is 4G still capped to 50Mb/s? I got this result last night.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, Three lifted the cap earlier this year. Don't think the website has been updated to reflect that though.

Still, for some time, I find it hard to get much more than 20-25Mbps on Three 4G and if I do, I think I should be rather amazed, as things have slowed down a lot this year.

Hitchin is one place where I can pretty much get 50-60Mbps almost every time. Goodness knows why it's just there, but I guess I've found the right place to stand (not far from the Waitrose car park for anyone that knows the area). Elsewhere, it's 5-10Mbps tops, and often a bit higher (downlink) if I drop to 3G.