Young cat being sick after every meal

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi, I'm at a loss what to do about my young cat.

She is 10 mths old. I have already been to the vet about this - she gets diarrhoea and sickness after she eats her food. I normally give a small amount of Iams with a tiny bit of wet pouch food - Tesco brand. In the past, she has been totally ok with this combination but lately she just throws up each and every time she's eaten.

I have put her on a starvation diet as per vet's instructions and gradually inroduced food back. It all goes well for a few days and then she's sick and diarrhoea again. I don't want to have to keep doing this, it doesn't seem right. She's had lab tests done and nothing showed up.

I tried a sachet of food that the vet said to try but she wouldn't even try one bit of it.

I was therefore wondering if anyone has any food that they recommend for a cat with a sensitive digestion? I just want her to stop puking up every day!

Thanks very much in advance :)

Comments

• stesupforitstesupforit Posts: 4,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you tried dry food?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 902
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep, Iams - she currently has that and was OK until the past few weeks really. Also tried something the vet gave as well as Purina one (? I think it's called) . No joy :( .
  • LippincoteLippincote Posts: 7,132
    Forum Member
    I have an oriental cat with inflammatory bowel syndrome, same symptoms as your cat, so I feel your pain.

My cat did well for a time on a diet of coley plus a vet-prescribed dry food - he has two types: Hills D/D Venision and Pea; and Waltham Intestinal. Both these foods are genuinely palatable - all three of my cats voluntarily eat them!

When you are introducing a new food like this it helps to do it gradually. Mix a little with their usual food, and gradually increase the proportion of new food to old. (By the way I would not feed Tesco own brand to a cat with sensitive digestion, I'd go for a premium, I use Felix pouches.)

For my cat the Special Diet was ultimately not enough and last Christmas he was being sick regularly so he was put on a low dose steroid treatment - 1mg prednisolone per day. This has completely stabilised him. Vets are reluctant to prescribe this for young cats (mine was 2 years old when he began it) but there comes a point when it is a far better option than the cat being regularly sick/diarrhoeal and not absorbing their food. The vet told me that being constantly ill that way could cause irreversible changes in the bowel.

He still has to have a limited diet - the biscuits as mentioned above, plus Felix as good as it looks. The meds plus the diet has made him a new cat - such a relief after a seeing him unwell 50% of the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One of my cats kittens is like it but not sick with it. I should have had a call from the vets today but havent. I know they can have something where they always throw up but cant remember its name. At the moment the kittens are nearly 8wks and mum wont stop feeding them so cant get her speyed. She has colitas as well and is on wet food but trying too get a food that will stop it as well.
  • StressMonkeyStressMonkey Posts: 13,347
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maisey Moo wrote: »
    One of my cats kittens is like it but not sick with it. I should have had a call from the vets today but havent. I know they can have something where they always throw up but cant remember its name. At the moment the kittens are nearly 8wks and mum wont stop feeding them so cant get her speyed. She has colitas as well and is on wet food but trying too get a food that will stop it as well.

You bred from a cat with colitis?
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Could it be allergies ? If so an exclusion diet might be a good start. Fish and potato then if that works gradually add in further items. Also how fast does the food get eaten, as slowing down the speed may help too.

BTW I too am saddened anyone would breed from an animal with colitis having had a dog with this it is a very distressing disease :(
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    Could it be allergies ? If so an exclusion diet might be a good start. Fish and potato then if that works gradually add in further items.

Potato??
    But I agree, my vet did an exclusion diet to begin with - they call it 'intolerance' rather than allergy. That's why my cat was fed coley and a 'novel' protein in the Venison dry food - something he would never have come across before. My vet said these type of diets usualy help but they are rarely the full answer - hence my cat having to go on to steroid therapy.

Most cats will tolerate cooked white fish as it is low residue, so that is definitely worth a try - but it lacks vital nutrients and roughage, so it has to either be supplemented with a dry food, or only fed for short periods.

But I think the OP needs to go back to the vet for further advice and an alternative prescription diet. (Ask him about the Hills D/D Venison - it is fairly new so he may not be familiar with it.)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maisey the cat with colitas was dumped in the local park. She followed a neighbour home and they took her back in there car but somehow she found there house again. They couldnt take her in as she is dog agrressive. So that night i couldnt leave her outside so i took her in. I tried everywhere too find if it she had an owner but then found from the school that she was seen being dumped. She did go out through the cat flap which is now blocked up. At aound the same time my cat which was my baby died of liver failure which was so awful. I then realised that Maisey was pregnant we just couldnt terminate the pregnancy which i know some of you will think was wrong. She only started with the colitas when the kittens where about 4wks old maybe a bit later. she did not have it before. She is going to be spey as soon as my vet allows her to be. If she needs a special diet she will get it. I didnt intentialy breed from her either. The kittens do not need a home as they are staying here. The only one that i am having trouble with is the runt, she is getting bigger everday as well. I have got one cat with cystiats and Simon the cat we lost had struvite crystals and suffered with it for a year and a half. All my other cats are neutered.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lippincote wrote: »
    Potato??
    But I agree, my vet did an exclusion diet to begin with - they call it 'intolerance' rather than allergy. That's why my cat was fed coley and a 'novel' protein in the Venison dry food - something he would never have come across before. My vet said these type of diets usualy help but they are rarely the full answer - hence my cat having to go on to steroid therapy.

Most cats will tolerate cooked white fish as it is low residue, so that is definitely worth a try - but it lacks vital nutrients and roughage, so it has to either be supplemented with a dry food, or only fed for short periods.

But I think the OP needs to go back to the vet for further advice and an alternative prescription diet. (Ask him about the Hills D/D Venison - it is fairly new so he may not be familiar with it.)

Yes potato - some cats/dogs are intolerant of rice but potato seems to be less likely to cause a reaction.
    Forum Member
    I understand what you mean - what I don't understand is the concept of giving an obligate carnivore a carbohyrdate to eat. Most cat food is bulked out with it because it's cheap but I don't understand it on nutritional grounds.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the explaination Maisey. Well done you for taking on the cat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lippincote wrote: »
    I understand what you mean - what I don't understand is the concept of giving an obligate carnivore a carbohyrdate to eat. Most cat food is bulked out with it because it's cheap but I don't understand it on nutritional grounds.

I'm not saying keep the cat on it forever - it's a way to begin excluding things that could cause allergies. I would personally be at the vet though if the cat is not able to eat and keep it's food down rather than taking advise from here.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also took in 2wks later another speyed female cat. Tried to find her home looked everwhere again reported her found to the rspca as well. She is still here as well. Last November i found a kitten no more than 5wks old the vet said he would have died if he hadnt been found. I do have a lot of cats but they all get indivual attention they need and vet care as well.
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    I would personally be at the vet though if the cat is not able to eat and keep it's food down rather than taking advise from here.

I completely agree re the vet - as I said before. I don't think it is something the OP can sort out without veterinary help.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, thanks for the replies so far. As explained, I've already been to the vet and all she offered was one food that they had in the surgery but my cat wouldn't even try it. I just wondered if there were other things tried and tested by others in a similar boat that I could go back and ask about as all I was offered was this one thing (which I think they probably push to earn commission or whatever). I have been back and had lab tests done which showed nothing up and it was left at that but obviously I will go back as the situation has not improved.
    Forum Member
    Your vet should be able to order in special diet food and get it delivered to the surgery within 24 hours. You could ask about the ones I mentioned previously - but as I said, you will probably have to mix them with the current food and gradually increase the amount, to get your cat used to them.

I always get the dry food versions of these diets, my cats will never eat 'special diet' wet food (I don't blame them, it always looks like a damp nappy:D).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Lippincote, I have scribbled that down and will deffo ask about it when I go :) . Must admit, I don't like the sound of the wet varieties either, my nan uses them for her cat and OMG, they are so pricey and half always gets chucked out anyway!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes the vet wet pouches are dear. I had to buy for Simon and guinness and there where around £6 a box for 12. I then put them onto a dry perscription only one which they loved but that was around £28 for a 5kg bag.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have you tried raw foods?

I think that the grain they use to bulk out most cat foods is at the root of a lot of cat problems - especially digestion.

Perhaps try kitty on a little beef mince, or chuck some chicken breast and giblets in a food processor. Just a taste - if she eats it and keeps it down try just that for a couple of days. If her bowels also improve, you might want to make the switch to raw feeding. It isn't as expensive or complicated as you might think. Some care needs to be taken to ensure she is getting all the vitamins, minerals and amino acids she needs.

One problem might be persuading her to eat it or persuading her to eat enough of a variety. It has taken months to get my two cats ready to switch completely to raw - they will stop getting commercial dry after this bag is finished.

As an alternative, Applaws wet food has barely any rice and their dry has very little.
    Forum Member
    My cat with IBS sadly cannot tolerate Applaws, and neither can he tolerate a raw-self-caught rabbit. Defies logic, I know.... and gawd rabbit giblet vomit is difficult to clean off the carpet....:eek:
  • quincemeisterquincemeister Posts: 199
    Forum Member
    I had a dog with a quite sensitive stomach and I used to get a brand of food called Burns. It's developed by a vet if I remember correctly but the point which may help you is that they have a phone or email 'helpdesk' so you could get a reasonable second opinion without having to shell out for another vet. I found that I described our dog's problems and they came up with some really good food ideas. They also sent me some free samples!!

He was on Burns food for something like 8 years and his digestive problems rarely raised their ugly head again. I personally couldn't recommend it highly enough, it might be worth looking into?

All the best OP, I know from experience it's difficult knowing that there is a problem and all you want to do is put it right! Please let us know how you get on.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a little update...

On Friday, the diarrhoea was just unbelievable so I called the vet and had a chat. Also arranged to see her today and get various things done.

Well, wouldn't you know that the little bugger was totally fine on Saturday and Sunday and has done normal business in her tray!! Grrrahhh.

I took her to the vet to be looked at anyway and she's fine, really good condition, perfectly normal behaviour and looking bright, right weight etc.

All I have done that is different is to stop giving her the pouches, so I am now hoping that this is the culprit and it doesn't happen again.

Thanks for everyone's input :) .
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Our Maine **** is a bit of a fussy eater (well, he's not fussy, but some things upset him!), and I've found that chicken-based foods are best. Anything with fish in it is a complete disaster. He's always been on dry foods, and does best on the Royal Canin Maine **** food, although it's expensive. I don't think it's necessary for cats to have "wet" food, they seem to do just fine without it, so long as they've got lots of water available.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Try Purina Pro Plan Delicate - it's designed for cats with food sensitivities - I have clients who swear by it now :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oooh, I will look that up , thanks :) . She's dead bored of Iams already....