How can I turn off my LG TV?

Morning everyone - I hope your having a fab christmas -
I have an LG LCD TV, but I can't turn the red stand by light off.
The only way to turn the red stand by light off is to turn the plug in the wall off.
The light on the tv will be green when the TV is on, and when I turn the TV off goes red. I push the round off button on the side of the TV and instead of turning the whole set off - it turns the green light back on. - Am I missing something obvious or is this normal
Cheers
FS

Comments

• woodysdadwoodysdad Posts: 2,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My Hanspree has the on/off switch concealed under the cover where the HDMI/Scart leads are connected at the back! Maybe the sdame with yours?
  • Willie WontieWillie Wontie Posts: 2,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am I missing something obvious or is this normal

Perfectly normal. All plasmas and LCDs, just like all digiboxes, all VCRs, all AV amps and receivers, all DVD players and recorders, are meant to be put into standby, not switched off completely. If you want to switch it off completely, then, as you have noticed, you can turn it off at the wall socket. But it won't be downloading any updates or outputting the contents of its Freeview tuner when turned off at the wall socket - it may well be doing this when put into standby.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Perfectly normal. All plasmas and LCDs, just like all digiboxes, all VCRs, all AV amps and receivers, all DVD players and recorders, are meant to be put into standby, not switched off completely. If you want to switch it off completely, then, as you have noticed, you can turn it off at the wall socket. But it won't be downloading any updates or outputting the contents of its Freeview tuner when turned off at the wall socket - it may well be doing this when put into standby.

Sorry, but that's mostly not true - most sets have an 'on/off' switch, which turns it off further than standby, but not 100% off, it leaves a tiny consumption supply running in order to be able to turn the set back on using the on/off switch on the set. Very few have actual mains switches, the switch is usually a light contact one that switches electronics in the set.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We're wondering the exact same thing with our new LG plasma...its really annoying because the plug socket is so hard to get at, you would think too that since we are always being encouraged not to leave things on standby (particularly tvs) that there would be an off button on it somewhere.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    i have lg model pk350 plasma and there is no off switch/ button. also some samsungs have the same just standby mode only if you go into the menu look for inteligent sensor setting there you have screen off. use the remote down arrow click screen off and red light will go out if you want to power up again push power on remote tv will start up this saves keep unpluging tv when away or when on holidays
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried remote control or timer power sockets?

I have an LG LCD tv and I know you can turn the red light off, but it is just the light that is off, not the tv which is still in standby mode.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The consumption on standby is less than a watt on new sets,anybody with a sky box or dvd etc left on standby will be far more power hungry. Unless you pull the mains plug out, there will still be power leakage.

Dont worry
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 260
    Forum Member
    My Samsung 40" uses 0.8w on stand by. Thats the equivalent of about 1p for 4 days on standby!
  • gds1972gds1972 Posts: 6,613
    Forum Member
    My Sony TV has a Quick Start setting in the menu that you can change to influence how much power is used in standby. When this is set to off it takes the TV a few moments to turn on fully and load the operating software.

The LG may have something similar to this in the menus.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't mention what model but my pq6000 has a on/off switch by the side inputs
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Incidently, on a related theme - for those of you who remember the 'wireless' Sony sets (with a wireless media box) - they were discontinued because of standby power concerns. The wirelsss operation of the two units meant they couldn't meet strict new EU guidelines :(

Pity, because they great for wall mounts, only lead required was a thin two core mains lead (figure 8 plug).
  • Chris FrostChris Frost Posts: 11,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Using one of these remote control mains sockets seems like the obvious answer... but I do wonder how much power they consume, and whether it's actually worth all the hassle once you factor in the cost of hardware, the cost to buy (trip or delivery charges), then the cost a batteries for the remote - Does it become a case of spending a quid to save a penny
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Using one of these remote control mains sockets seems like the obvious answer... but I do wonder how much power they consume, and whether it's actually worth all the hassle once you factor in the cost of hardware, the cost to buy (trip or delivery charges), then the cost a batteries for the remote - Does it become a case of spending a quid to save a penny

They about use the same power as the old night/day bulbs,
    not worth the hassle,always on standby
  • AidanLunnAidanLunn Posts: 5,320
    Forum Member

I don't know what you mean. My DVD player (cheap Chinese "Mirror" thing but plays even the most damaged discs - physically broken discs is about its limit), has a manual on-off switch - i.e. button pushed in = on, sticking out = off. No green or red LED. In fact, no LED at all to indicate power status, just the LED matrix for displaying "Play", "Skip", "Menu" etc.

And I have a Betamax VCR with the same kind of switch. And a HiFi with a manual switch so you claim of "all" is far from the truth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pop into Tesco and get an Energy Saver (ES) power strip.

With these you put the TV into standby, the ES notices the reduction in power drain and in a few moments it switches off all the equipment connected to it.

The ES then waits for a command from your TVs remote control (you simply program this into the ES). This supplies power to all the connected devices. By pressing the power on button on the ES a second time power is restored.

Or you can use a radio controlled (RC)stand-alone power socket, with it's own RC.

Basically, what I'm saying is there are many ways to skin this cat, so use a little imagination.

These [click] were featured on Dragon's Den a while back. I use a couple myself.
  • Pugwash69Pugwash69 Posts: 3,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    e-on sent me a power saver plug once. Odd because I don't even use them.
    It's set up in the bedroom to turn off active speakers and network media device when the TV is on standby.

Obviously if you were to buy one, the savings may not cover the cost for a long time!

If you always use Sky or a DVD player rather than the TV's own tuner, you could put all of the players on the triggering socket and any dependent devices like AMP and TV on another using multi-socket strips.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RobAnt wrote: »
    Pop into Tesco and get an Energy Saver (ES) power strip.

With these you put the TV into standby, the ES notices the reduction in power drain and in a few moments it switches off all the equipment connected to it.

The ES then waits for a command from your TVs remote control (you simply program this into the ES). This supplies power to all the connected devices. By pressing the power on button on the ES a second time power is restored.

Or you can use a radio controlled (RC)stand-alone power socket, with it's own RC.

Basically, what I'm saying is there are many ways to skin this cat, so use a little imagination.

These [click] were featured on Dragon's Den a while back. I use a couple myself.

I had a couple for my computers,free from Manweb or whatever, once the computer is switched off it kills all others connected, but at start up everything as to go through its systems, my printer for example takes a while,if I used one for my Comag Dish turner it would go into boot up each time.as would my HDD recorder.
    Are they not meant for computers?