tulisa
vanessa from the saturdays
whitney before she died

Comments

• Sharon87Sharon87 Posts: 3,698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Meatloaf
    Robbie Williams - well is worse than he worse, he's still better than half the OPs list!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    Paul McCartney was never a great singer in the past....but the way he sounds now makes me.... :eek::eek:
  • Ollie_h19Ollie_h19 Posts: 8,548
    Forum Member
    Brian Wilson, used to do the falsetto parts in the Beach Boys, gets his backing singers to do the tricky bits now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    most def. Liam Gallagher!!

&

most def. Axl Rose!!
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love Mariah i do but in no way is she as good as she was.
  • digichantdigichant Posts: 3,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually think Adele's voice hasn't been the same since her surgery.

She can of course still sing though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I love Mariah i do but in no way is she as good as she was.

She might not be as good as she was, but she is nowhere in the category of cant sing anymore.
  • AdzPowerAdzPower Posts: 4,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mariah Carey, God her voice is awful now, and she's barely audible in most of her performances.
    Disagree with Vanessa from The Saturdays though, it's already known that she suffers from anxiety issues and that is what is stopping her from sounding as good, it gets to her when she's on stage, hence her voice not sounding as great, but she's recovering now I believe.
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Mariah Carey, God her voice is awful now, and she's barely audible in most of her performances.
    Disagree with Vanessa from The Saturdays though, it's already known that she suffers from anxiety issues and that is what is stopping her from sounding as good, it gets to her when she's on stage, hence her voice not sounding as great, but she's recovering now I believe.

It's not awful, and she had been belting it out year after year since 1990 to be fair. It's not like she's got anything to prove...
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Cliff's voice is going, and so is Ray Davies' if his performance at the Olympic opening ceremony is anything to go by.
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    iseloid wrote: »
    It's not awful, and she had been belting it out year after year since 1990 to be fair. It's not like she's got anything to prove...

It's not her voice that's the problem, it's her style. Showing off vocal gymnastics at the song's expense.
  • Big PoyBig Poy Posts: 7,420
    Forum Member
    most def. Liam Gallagher!!

&

most def. Axl Rose!!

I'd actually disagree with that one, saw him last year and he sounded pretty good.

Granted he did have to continually pop into his oxygen tent that he had on stage!
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Frankie from The Saturdays.
    How did she go from great lead singer of S Club 8/Juniors/I Dream to the worst singer of The Saturdays?
  • LMLM Posts: 63,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sadly Whitney was never great vocally during the last years of her life. I remember watching clips of her Nothing But Love tour and she was horrendous and used the backing track to cover up how bad she was. It's a shame. Even her recordings on the film Sparkle and her I Look To You album were very raspy and covered up by the magic of editing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vanessa from The Saturdays

Compare THIS - (2:08)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4yVSAV4mXA

To THIS - (1:58)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JqxOYUnVz8

It's actually quite sad.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 115
    Forum Member
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    here's my list
    elton john
    sandie shaw
    tulisa
    vanessa from the saturdays
    whitney before she died

Elton I'd agree with
    Sandie I'd disagree with, she has a new depth to her voice
    Whitney has sung well since she decided that shouting loud was better than singing
    Ray Davies seem to have lost it as has Paul McCartney
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Billy Sut wrote: »
    Paul McCartney was never a great singer in the past
    :eek::eek:

One of the great rock voices of all time, but now reduced to a croak. Serves him right for the Frog Chorus.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I kinda agree about Vanessa from The Saturdays. She used to have the most powerful voice in the group and she even went on Popstar to Operastar in 2010. I did read on another thread that she was suffering from anxiety issues and that's why her voice wasn't great lately.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paul McCartney had one of the best rock voices in his prime, very adaptable and distinctive. Listen to Call Me Back Again, Maybe I'm Amazed or Monkberry Moon Delight if you are in any doubt. He most definitely could sing!!
    Ok his voice is fading now but he is 70 and you wouldn't expect him to sing like his 30 yr old self. It's a shame but his older voice has it's merits too and he is still writing and playing those melodic bass lines.
    I would say Bowie's voice is fading and altered too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,058
    Forum Member
    Obviously Mariah. She doesn't sound horrible by any means, but she sounds extremely weak sometimes, almost like she's whispering. And she can't go as extremely high as she used to, but I don't blame her for that, because her whistle register still works to a certain extent.

And I would also like to add Alicia Keys to the list. Her voice, while never really powerhouse material, used to be strong and soulful, especially on her second album, where tracks like 'Heartbreak', 'When You Really Love Someone' and 'Diary' showcase decent vocal ability. Now her voice sounds extremely raspy, husky and it's constantly cracking, let alone the pitch problems she has.
  • CharlotteswebCharlottesweb Posts: 18,680
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ollie_h19 wrote: »
    Brian Wilson, used to do the falsetto parts in the Beach Boys, gets his backing singers to do the tricky bits now.

To be fair hes been doing that since his drug problems in the 60's when he refused to tour with the band himself.

His voice isnt as good now, absolutely, but on the other hand, Brian Wilson the man looked better on that recent farewell tour than he has in decades, which the opposite of what you would expect .

Its not always an age thing either when voices go.

The song 'Lion Sleeps tonight' by the tokens is over 50 years old.

The guy who sang it is still touring, and this video is only three years ago, so its possible to carry beautiful voices through life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqyHz3hhfvU
  • CloudbusterCloudbuster Posts: 688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was embarrased by Elton, Cliff and Paul McCartney at the Jubilee concert and was aghast to see McCartney murdering music again during the opening Olympic ceremony.

Liza Minnelli needs to give up too (and boy she was once a great singer), as should Tony Bennett.
  • VabosityVabosity Posts: 2,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RealDonkey wrote: »
    Ray Davies seem to have lost it.

Untrue.

Ray's lacklustre performance of Waterloo Sunset at the London Olympic Closing Ceremony was due I believe to illness, nothing serious but enough to affect his voice on the day. I've seen Ray in concert several times in recent years and his voice is as good as it ever was, if not better.

Had Ray been in better shape last August, his performance would have been an Olympic highlight to rival those provided by Mo Farah and Bradley Wiggins.
  • Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the case of Mariah though, her voice was bound to detriorate. I think her voice now sounds like someone who has looked after their voice, it's just that once you get get older, it changes.