Options

Sheffield Live TV

BahtatBahtat Posts: 756
Forum Member
✭✭
Anyone know what's happening with this? The last I heard, according to a release last month, it was due to launch on 23 September (next Tuesday) but it all seems very quiet considering there's just over a week to go. Can't seem to find much information at all, even on their website.

Also, there's a release from Ofcom that I saw on this forum somewhere regarding the use of another frequency for viewers who have their aerial pointing at Emley Moor rather than Sheffield. Again, I can't seem to find any further details about this. All it says is it will be broadcast from Grenoside, I assume they mean the Oughtibridge relay? Also, will it be transmitted with horizontal polarity (the PSB muxes are vertical) and what about the ERP?

Comments

• Options
    chrisychrisy Posts: 9,419
    Forum Member
    Bahtat wrote: »
    Anyone know what's happening with this? The last I heard, according to a release last month, it was due to launch on 23 September (next Tuesday) but it all seems very quiet considering there's just over a week to go. Can't seem to find much information at all, even on their website.

There's a testcard on air now.
    Also, there's a release from Ofcom that I saw on this forum somewhere regarding the use of another frequency for viewers who have their aerial pointing at Emley Moor rather than Sheffield. Again, I can't seem to find any further details about this. All it says is it will be broadcast from Grenoside, I assume they mean the Oughtibridge relay? Also, will it be transmitted with horizontal polarity (the PSB muxes are vertical) and what about the ERP?

http://licensing.ofcom.org.uk/binaries/tv/local-tv/Sheffield_Grenoside.pdf

The licence hasn't been updated to include it, so there's no further details, and I doubt that it's on air yet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks. I found it after plugging in the aerial in the loft on Sheffield (normally use roof aerial on Emley Moor). It's veiewable, however it's only about 55% qualitiy and quite low strength, despite being only 1 mile to the west of Sheffield TX. Looking at the new antenna installed recently on Sheffield, it's oriented to the east towards the city (i.e. complete opposite direction to me) and there is also mesh panels either side, presumably to attenuate the signal from the west. Looks like I'll have to see what the signal is like from Oughtibridge, whenever that is launched. The downside is Oughtibridge is not quite on the same bearing as Emley Moor from here.
  • Options
    darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not going to be able to watch in woodhouse as we can only get the signal from Emley moor on our communal aerial ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    not going to be able to watch in woodhouse as we can only get the signal from Emley moor on our communal aerial ;)

I can get Sheffield Live on my aerial that's pointed at Emley Moor, so you should be able to get it.

Roland
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Rolandh wrote: »
    I can get Sheffield Live on my aerial that's pointed at Emley Moor, so you should be able to get it.

Roland
    That depends on the different of the angle between Sheffield (Tapton Hill/Crosspool) and Emley Moor in any given location. In some areas its possible, but in other areas it's certainly not. That's why Grenoside has been commissioned. It's right in the line of Emley Moor for most aerials in the parts of Sheffield not covered by the Sheffield local transmitter.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a516 wrote: »
    That depends on the different of the angle between Sheffield (Tapton Hill/Crosspool) and Emley Moor in any given location. In some areas its possible, but in other areas it's certainly not. That's why Grenoside has been commissioned. It's right in the line of Emley Moor for most aerials in the parts of Sheffield not covered by the Sheffield local transmitter.

I read online somewhere that the Sheffield Local Multiplex is also Broadcasting from a Transmitter in Grenoside to allow people whos ariel is pointed at Emley Moore to receive it.

Ofcom pdf about Sheffield Live TV
  • Options
    Dean LambertDean Lambert Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sheffield Live started at 6am this morning
  • Options
    RadiomikeRadiomike Posts: 7,949
    Forum Member
    Sheffield Live started at 6am this morning

First impressions?
  • Options
    Dean LambertDean Lambert Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    First impressions?

Actual live shows didn't start until 6 this evening, and despite a few technical issues (i.e wrong faders) in time it might do quite well. Let's not forget it is done by volunteers.

Not much of programming appears to be listed at the moment, but like I said give it time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been able to receive both the colour bars with test tone & the Sheffield Live Test Card on both my LG TV's & my Sagem PVR since they appeared. Now I'm only able to receive the Local Mux on the Bedroom TV & intermittently on the Sagem PVR, both TV's & the Sagem PVR are connected to the Same Ariel pointed towards Emley Moor.

How can one peice of equipment in the house pick up the Local Mux with a stable lock while one can't get a stable lock & the last 0 lock?

Roland
  • Options
    a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Rolandh wrote: »
    I've been able to receive both the colour bars with test tone & the Sheffield Live Test Card on both my LG TV's & my Sagem PVR since they appeared. Now I'm only able to receive the Local Mux on the Bedroom TV & intermittently on the Sagem PVR, both TV's & the Sagem PVR are connected to the Same Ariel pointed towards Emley Moor.

How can one peice of equipment in the house pick up the Local Mux with a stable lock while one can't get a stable lock & the last 0 lock?

Roland
    Because your aerial is pointing towards Emley Moor, the signal is coming from the mast at Tapton Hill (Crosspool transmitter). Presumably what signal you are getting is only just about suitable for reception at your end (different TVs have tuners with different levels of sensitivity). Once Grenoside is online, you should have a better chance of receiving Sheffield Live TV, but will need to retune to the Grenoside frequency (UHF ch.57). There's been no mention (in public at least) about when Grenoside will be put into action, and no information yet on Digital UK's postcode coverage checker.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Radiomike wrote: »
    First impressions?

Just tuned in to see a bloke sat a desk singing hip hop to himself.

If that's what it''s like most of the time, all I can say is that by sticking with the rooftop aerial on Emley Moor is like missing out on eating offal.