Bbc Radio 1 Back In The Day.....

kezokezo Posts: 11,086
Forum Member
✭✭
I may have titled this wrongly apologies, I was looking through these threads recently and noticed how much Radio 1 has changed (I personally don't much listen to it now but I did use to back in the 90's)

What were your favourite shows?

I got a couple, I remember always tuning into Mark Goodier doing a "in the mix" show which featured chart show hits with dance remixes ie Annie Lennox, Pulp to name a couple I think it was a monday-friday show from 6.30pm and his show was from 4pm(in 90's)

as well as listening to the Top 40 and was always excited to find out who was #1 on a Sunday and now I couldn't care less (in 90's).

I still listen to music don't get me wrong but I rather listen to Heat/Kiss or even Radio 2 to Radio 1. How times have changed

This thread is not a negative thread but may as well ask what listeners of the past remember from Radio 1 then (also forgot their roadshows!) :D

Comments

• CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Last time I listened was for the John Peel Show.
  • RickWhiteRickWhite Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never liked radio 1. When I was younger I found it pretentious and preferred commercial radio.
    Now in my 30s it's all about radio 2 and I have little to no patience for commercial radio
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's difficult as recently Radio 1 has been gainng a bad rep and people have been harking for the good old days. For me at 21 i only listened when i was 17 so Ferne has been my mid morning etc and for the most part i enjoy it. I like ferne overall ass he plays the music i would and tend to avoid the Dj's i don't like. I think rdaio 1 as a whole still offers a range f music and chat for all but in leaning to a more youth audience and commercial format its lost some of its original appeal on which it was founded.
  • Chief_WahooChief_Wahoo Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I assume that this thread will shortly be moved to the radio forum...:rolleyes:

Anyhow,back in the day for me listening to Radio 1 was the 80's.Absolutely I was a One listener in the late 70's and early 80'. Quite frankly,there was no alternative to listen to Top 40 music.Radio Luxembourg was okay at night,but the reception was awful.But even in my late teens it was starting to sound tiresome.I found the likes Mike Read,Dave Lee Travis,Gary Davies,and particularly Mike Smith had become seriously annoying.I started listening to Radio Caroline on a more regular basis and only occasionally dipping back in to Radio 1.When Caroline's rival pirate station Laser 558 came screaming onto the airwaves,Radio 1 was all but over for me.It was fresh,exciting,and in your face.My favourite show back then was Steve Wright,but even that became unlistenable because of too many 'characters'.I think that the last show I listened to on Radio 1 was Jimmy Savile's Old Record Club on a Sunday afternoon.Who knew??!!!:eek:

Unfortunately,the pirates were scuppered by bad weather in the end but then I started listening to Radio Broadland when it came on the air in '84.I really haven't listened to Radio 1 since and never will again,quite frankly just because I have long since lost interest in top 40 music.I won't listen to any pop music station now.

I used to sit with my fingers poised over the play and record buttons on my stereo,just waiting for the dj to stop talking so I could record my favourite songs.Now I would rather be standing with a sledgehammer ready to smash the speakers to bits just to stop so much dross from invading my eardrums.
  • mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i (we...my mum) had radio caroline on, and the light programme back in the 60's, when radio 1 started i listened in and have done ever since. its definately poorer today, with limited strict playlists. dj's have no freedom to seek out and promote new music like they did in the past. but for all its faults, its still the channel the radio inmy van is tuned into.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always preferred Metro in the North East
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Several good shows in the 90's including Simon Mayo, Mark & Lard in the afternoon and Mark Tonderai's late night show. Radio 1 is all alien to me now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    As a teenager, I have never listened to Radio 1 regularly.
  • kezokezo Posts: 11,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wasn't someone who would listen to radio 1, I was still listening to Radio Tay/Tay FM/Forth 1 in 90's (pending on reception I got for Forth 1) but then if I remember correctly somepoint in the 90's they started to phase in Judge Jules/Pete Tong/Dave Pearce .... to me the strongest point that got me listening in was the half hour mix with Mark Goodier
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    It's difficult as recently Radio 1 has been gainng a bad rep and people have been harking for the good old days. For me at 21 i only listened when i was 17 so Ferne has been my mid morning etc and for the most part i enjoy it. I like ferne overall ass he plays the music i would and tend to avoid the Dj's i don't like. I think rdaio 1 as a whole still offers a range f music and chat for all but in leaning to a more youth audience and commercial format its lost some of its original appeal on which it was founded.

Ooer missus!:D:p
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I miss the days when I listened to the Chris Moyles show at breakfast, then Jo Wiley, after that came Edith (and for the life of me can't remember her co presenter) then going home with Scott Mills.

Best line up for me
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked bits 'n' pieces from the roadshow in the 80's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    Many happy memories sat on the floor, headphones plugged into dad's pricey Pioneer, finger hovering over the pause button on tape deck, to get the latest Tibetan Death Metal or Icelandic Drillcore on a (many times recorded on) C90 from Mr John Peel.

Usually played at the wrong speed Peely would realise, start again and you had to make the split second desicion to rewind the 5-10 secs and record at right speed or just let it slide.

Always a radio station of 2 halves to me, always poppy, light and breezy during the day and more serious after 8pm.

All in all, a whole shedload of fond memories and wonky C90s of Mark and Lard (Out on blue 6), the aforementioned John Peel, Steve Lemaq, Mary Ann Hobbs' Breezeblock.

Good times!
  • tortfeasortortfeasor Posts: 7,000
    Forum Member
    twingle wrote: »
    I miss the days when I listened to the Chris Moyles show at breakfast, then Jo Wiley, after that came Edith (and for the life of me can't remember her co presenter) then going home with Scott Mills.

Best line up for me

That may be one Colin Murray. They were a great double act on the radio and I seem to remember they covered the breakfast show at least once. I used to tune in to their afternoon show a lot.

The R1 line up you mentioned was pretty strong. I was still dividing my time between R1 and R2 then (2004/2005) but gradually started tuning into R2 more frequently.

The first line up I can remember was Simon Mayo at breakfast, Simon Bates, Gary Davies and Steve Wright in the afternoon.

My favourite line ups were definitely those of the mid-late 1990s with Chris Evans on breakfast, Simon Mayo, Lisa I'Anson, Nicky Campbell and Mark Goodier being my favourite of the line ups. I still think Lisa I'Anson did the best lunchtime show out of all the hosts who occupied that timeslot in the 1990s. She seemed to laugh a lot and her show always sounded upbeat.

The Kevin Greening & Zoe Ball breakfast show and Dave Pearce's weekday shows were also favourites to tune in to.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tortfeasor wrote: »
    That may be one Colin Murray. .

indeed, does anybody know what happened to colin and edith? didnt he fancy her or summut? cant remember why he disappeared.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i cant stand fearne cotton. imho shes the worst ever. she constantly talks in hyperbole, or cliches, shes like 30 (ish) going on 13.
  • DomestiquesDomestiques Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Last time I listened was for the John Peel Show.

John Peel died and so there wasnt much need to listen to the station. So I didnt.
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    indeed, does anybody know what happened to colin and edith? didnt he fancy her or summut? cant remember why he disappeared.

Edith had a baby and then was doing a week end slot but come to think about it not heard her for ages. (Bloody sexist BBC!!)

Colin (thank you to whoever filled in his name for me!) had a late night show for a while which my son loved but can't remember if it was tv or radio

ETA just googled Colin and he is now a sports presenter and does investigative journalism too

and Edith, In February 2012, it was announced that Edith Bowman was being replaced by Gemma Cairney on Weekend Breakfast, and would move to Tuesday evenings, in order to take over The Review Show, from Nihal. Her first show of the new Review Show was on 24 April 2012.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    warszawa wrote: »
    I liked bits 'n' pieces from the roadshow in the 80's.

"Im a pieces, bit & pieces !!"

Brilliant