Oops. Just re-watched the best Doctor Who episode ever

alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
Forum Member
✭✭
Forest of the Dead.

River's scarifice. The music. The Doctor's pain.

I bawled.

Lots.

Comments

• CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh... So you didn't watch Parting of the Ways, then....:p
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really like that episode all that much, certainly isn't close to being the best for me. The dire attempt to rehash "everybody lives" at the end kills the episode stone dead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,893
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They didn't live though, they were just thoughts in a computers memory.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    sepmix wrote: »

and now trying to escape by creating a crack in time, perhaps?
  • Salford_WhoSalford_Who Posts: 4,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well according to the news last night, a computer effectively transmitted a DNA code into a cell, and the cell reproduced - could this be a way to bring River back after her death - but of course that opens the door for Adric too....
  • boefaceboeface Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    What a coincidence OP, I watched it round about the same time last night :D

And I cried too. River's words about the Doctor always knowing that she would come to this end had so much more emotion to them now that we've seen her in her past/the Doctor's future.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But they were shown to "live"....its just there bodies that don't exist, but their minds are pretty much alive forever, hence why the Doctor felt proud in saving River, Moff himself sees them as "alive".

For me its definitely the weakest of Moff's stories ever. Its too predictable, it feels like a greatest hits album when its only the fourth story from Moff, and the ending really does spoil it....if they had ended on the "everbody dies" note...it would have been a nice mirroring story to the Doctor dances.

The best thing going for it is the performances from everyone, and some of the witty dialogue....it alllows me to stay sitting and watch it on repeat viewings.
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think anyone declaring any episode as 'the best' is on a sticky wicket. Personally I'd say This one is bestest :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    silentNate wrote: »
    I think anyone declaring any episode as 'the best' is on a sticky wicket. Personally I'd say This one is bestest :p

Well if it is best for the OP, then it is the best for the OP!!:p

I agree that City of Death is fantastic though...

My "bestest" is Midnight!!!:D
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, to me nothing beats episode six of Inferno - particularly that clffhanger.:cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    My "bestest" is Midnight!!!:D

Really? I fell asleep during that episode but after rewatching it I'd say it was good but not bestest :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances are the best episodes. The Forest of the Dead is just plain weird.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? I fell asleep during that episode but after rewatching it I'd say it was good but not bestest :confused:

Oh I have written essays on DS about why i think its the best!:D I won't repeat myself here as I haven't time....but I love everything about it....its the only story that has the same fear factor feeling that I had the first time round. And well everything about is top notch for me. Overall its a story that started out as marmite for fandom, but has been growing for many....only recently made the number one spot in the survivors game....that is one hell of an achievment for what was a splitting fandom type story!:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes I do love that episode but best, Blink or the Green Death. Both scared the bejesus out of me.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazzyaz7 wrote: »
    Oh I have written essays on DS about why i think its the best!:D I won't repeat myself here as I haven't time....but I love everything about it....its the only story that has the same fear factor feeling that I had the first time round. And well everything about is top notch for me. Overall its a story that started out as marmite for fandom, but has been growing for many....only recently made the number one spot in the survivors game....that is one hell of an achievment for what was a splitting fandom type story!:)

It bears repeated viewing, which you can't say about all episodes and therefore may well be remembered for years to come. Personally I expect respect for Amy's Choice to grow and grow as time moves on, certainly the best of Matt's season so far. :cool:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It bears repeated viewing, which you can't say about all episodes and therefore may well be remembered for years to come. Personally I expect respect for Amy's Choice to grow and grow as time moves on, certainly the best of Matt's season so far. :cool:

I agree, Loved Amy's Choice, and although it didn't have a big split opinion as Midnight, it will certainly be a grower just like it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :cool::)Though he is a great hero and does the job, its good like superman or batman , he doesnt always do well well like us humans , ok rory could be annoying to amy , she did love him but unlike rose , she was more humane and is more free thinking but cares more

Rose did but was a tad self involved ax
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    alphonsus wrote: »
    Forest of the Dead.

River's scarifice. The music. The Doctor's pain.

I bawled.

Lots.

Yes, I cried at River's scary face too.
  • smudges dadsmudges dad Posts: 36,989
    Forum Member
    For acting, character development, and story, it has to be Turn Left, even though it is (or maybe because it is) a Dr light episode
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 179
    Forum Member

I love this story and i am still on the thought that the Scaroth will be the big bad of this seriers, cracks in time, the repeated eye image.
  • alphonsusalphonsus Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    boeface wrote: »
    What a coincidence OP, I watched it round about the same time last night :D

And I cried too. River's words about the Doctor always knowing that she would come to this end had so much more emotion to them now that we've seen her in her past/the Doctor's future.
    Much agreenes!
    City of Death was very good - plot was excellent. Paris irrelevent, IMO.
    After two or three viewings, this is really growing on me, and could be one of the better episodes of the new series.
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    alphonsus wrote: »
    City of Death was very good - plot was excellent. Paris irrelevent, IMO.

Where else is the Mona Lisa then? Scarborough?:p:p
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a brilliant episode, the revelation about the screwdriver and Tennant's amazing performance, all culminating with the moment of him clicking his fingers and the Tardis door opening, it really thrills you in a way most episodes don't.

Moffat hasn't reached that high yet in this series. The finale is probably the place we should look for this level of awesomeness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kninemark2 wrote: »
    I love this story and i am still on the thought that the Scaroth will be the big bad of this seriers, cracks in time, the repeated eye image.

How clever will you look if you end up being right about this :o:D
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Which episode of it, though? A story is not the same as an episode-an episode is a single discrete installment, a story can be one episode or several.