Comments

• fast leftfast left Posts: 2,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she's not a bible basher is she ?
  • BingethinkBingethink Posts: 4,257
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems anybody off the telly can get a job on Radio 2 as opposed to an established radio presenter .

Which TV presenters have Radio 2 hired who have no radio ecperience?
  • tezenistezenis Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    Bingethink wrote: »
    Which TV presenters have Radio 2 hired who have no radio ecperience?

Matthew Wright, Davina McCall, Allan Carr and Patrick Kielty spring to mind. The first two were stupendously bad.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alan Carr had a permanent show. Did any of the others?
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

That show was so bad it could have become a cult listen ;)
    Forum Member

You just said hired, not hired on a permanent show. Irrespective they were all given airtime on the nation's most listened to station with no apparent qualification for that honour. By the way, add Melanie Sykes and Miranda Hart to that list.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,952
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After 6 very successfull years on GMS, I think one can assume it was because Aled joined Daybreak that his contract wasnt renewed, but seeing as that is down to the BBC, I guess we will never know the real reason.
    Or perhaps it was just that GMS had become dull, repetitive and predictable, and the BBC felt that new blood was needed.

But that's just a guess too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tezenis wrote: »
    You just said hired, not hired on a permanent show. Irrespective they were all given airtime on the nation's most listened to station with no apparent qualification for that honour.

Their qualification was either that they were an experienced broadcaster or a comedian. There's no reason that they need to have come through the radio route exclusively.
  • hello:)hello:) Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    So bizarre...it's too early in the morning for a philosophical discussion. I didn't listen to it every Sunday but was cheery Sunday morning listening with Aled.
    Forum Member
    Their qualification was either that they were an experienced broadcaster or a comedian. There's no reason that they need to have come through the radio route exclusively.

To be fair none of the people on my list were experienced broadcasters, they were TV presenters which is quite a different thing. What makes a comedian qualified to present a national radio show? I love Miranda Hart's TV show, but she was an embarrassment on the breakfast show.

Experienced programmers still get starstruck by TV people when it comes to giving them airtime. I'm not going to listen to someone just because they're off the telly. I'll listen to them if they're any good.
  • ShrewnShrewn Posts: 6,824
    Forum Member
    It seems to me that some people here think you can only be a “proper” radio presenter if you’ve sat there saying “text me and tell us your favourite cheese” on some obscure station with a handful of listeners. The fact is, Claire, like John Inverdale STARTED in radio, she was part of the old Radio 5, a member of Chris Evans’ Radio 1 team, has presented the lunchtime show on Five Live and many many others. Can you only work for Radio 2 if you’ve “spun the hits” on a rusty boat or on local radio for 20 years?
    Forum Member
    Does the radio show have to be live? Clare does a series on Radio 4 "Ramblings" and Radio 5's Wimbledon coverage.

I wonder if Aled is still keeping his Radio Wales programme?

I think GMS is done live. The only weekends she'd be away for the horses are Guineas weekend and the Cheltenham November meeting, which run Saturday and Sunday, both televised by C4, I guess they can work around that
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hello:) wrote: »
    So bizarre...it's too early in the morning for a philosophical discussion. I didn't listen to it every Sunday but was cheery Sunday morning listening with Aled.
    It's Clare Balding, not Jeremy Paxman. I'm sure she'll be capable of presenting a cheery Jolly hockey sticks C of E Dibley 100 best hymns type show, not some deep philosophical discussion.
  • occyoccy Posts: 64,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Matthew Wright, Davina McCall, Allan Carr and Patrick Kielty spring to mind. The first two were stupendously bad.

Matthew used to cover for Steve Wright. He was good too. Davina McCall wasn't asked back as they changed buildings and didn't have windows which opened as she never needed to use a mic to speak:D. Patrick Kielty why do they keep asking him back.
  • Gusto BruntGusto Brunt Posts: 12,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    GeorgeS wrote: »
    Who wants to get up at 4am on a Sunday morning to discuss spirtuality with a bunch of minor celebs? Some gigs arent worth the fee.

It's a programme I would never listen to. Firstly because I don't believe in God - no offence to you believers.

But secondly, I consider Aled Jones to be a media lightweight, probably best suited to managing a local Tesco store but nothing else.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be fair none of the people on my list were experienced broadcasters, they were TV presenters which is quite a different thing.

Broadcasting is not just confined to radio.

Matthew Wright presents a live daily TV interview and phone-in show.

Melanie Sykes presented a daily TV interview, showbiz and music show, interviewiing guests, bantering with a co-presenter and engaging with an audience.

A stand-up like Kielty has to engage with an audience, think on his feet, communicate engaging funny material to an audience...

It's hardly a great imaginative leap to think that any of those skills are transferable to radio, surely? There's always been a big transition between the two.

(Tv to radio - Chris Tarrant, Jonathan Ross - even Toby Anstis.)

I will give you Miranda Hart as a counter-example. As I understand it, she's always been more of a comedy actress than a stand-up. I think that transition - see also French and Saunders - is much more difficult to make.
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    None of that matters, Binge. This is DS, where it's customary to slate a new presenter on a show before it's even started.
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Clare Balding is a highly intelligent and articulate person.

As others have noted she does have experience of presenting Radio Shows. And before anyone sneers on the lines of "she only does Sport" as host of 5 live's tennis coverage she would have been required to do interviews on breaking news stories. Her stints on Radio 4 show her as a serious interviewer.

Her success both in the Olympics and Paralympics was down to her doing her homework before going on air. Ditto her work as host of the BBC's Rugby League coverage.

I would have thought such qualities are precisely what a show like GMS needs.
  • zorbaszorbas Posts: 60
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »
    I don't know anyone in the industry who has a good word to say about Aled as a person, so I won't be missing him.

I am so glad I am not alone in my thoughts. Aled - the most nervous person ever on both TV and radio. Likes to think he is a young Terry Wogan.......in his dreams !
    Forum Member
    Phil Ander wrote: »
    Clare Balding is a highly intelligent and articulate person.

As others have noted she does have experience of presenting Radio Shows. And before anyone sneers on the lines of "she only does Sport" as host of 5 live's tennis coverage she would have been required to do interviews on breaking news stories. Her stints on Radio 4 show her as a serious interviewer.

Well said, plus she had an extended run presenting the 12-2 slot including PMQs
  • RadioKnowerRadioKnower Posts: 2,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zorbas wrote: »
    Aled - the most nervous person ever on both TV and radio. Likes to think he is a young Terry Wogan.......in his dreams !
    So one hand he's nervous, therefore not very confident in his role, but he also thinks he's a young Terry Wogan. :rolleyes:
  • mine's a pintmine's a pint Posts: 779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shrewn wrote: »
    It seems to me that some people here think you can only be a “proper” radio presenter if you’ve sat there saying “text me and tell us your favourite cheese” on some obscure station with a handful of listeners. The fact is, Claire, like John Inverdale STARTED in radio, she was part of the old Radio 5, a member of Chris Evans’ Radio 1 team, has presented the lunchtime show on Five Live and many many others. Can you only work for Radio 2 if you’ve “spun the hits” on a rusty boat or on local radio for 20 years?

The fact is now that Radio 2 diluting the schedule with people who have had no musical presenting experience , in place of people who do and are good at it .

People or people who used to be on the telly are getting programmes on Radio 2 as opposed to people who have current radio experience .

Radio 2 now has to seriously consider ( or the bbc trust ) as wether Radio 2 should go all the way and become a speech only station and forget about the music that is getting more diluted all the time in favour of speech and getting in the way of the speech , so that all these telly stars will not interupt whaysat they are saying , by playing snipets of music .

These days anybody that has worked on a 'rusty ole boat' or local radio , who have more paid their dues over the years in music radio don't stand a chance of getting employed on a BBC national station.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The fact is now that Radio 2 diluting the schedule with people who have had no musical presenting experience , in place of people who do and are good at it .

People or people who used to be on the telly are getting programmes on Radio 2 as opposed to people who have current radio experience .

Radio 2 now has to seriously consider ( or the bbc trust ) as wether Radio 2 should go all the way and become a speech only station and forget about the music that is getting more diluted all the time in favour of speech and getting in the way of the speech , so that all these telly stars will not interupt whaysat they are saying , by playing snipets of music .

Nonsense.

We're talking about Good Morning Sunday. The BBC describes it as a programme "discussing ethical and religious issues, with guests and spiritual music." It's not a DJ show, and never has been a DJ show.

Remind me again of the long years when the Rev. Roger Royle, Don Maclean or Aled Jones "paid their dues" spinning the discs on local radio prior to hosting the show...
  • Phil AnderPhil Ander Posts: 1,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or indeed how many BBC Sunday Breakfast Local Radio presenters had experience in discussing faith based issues and played spiritual music before their appointments.
  • hello:)hello:) Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    It's Clare Balding, not Jeremy Paxman. I'm sure she'll be capable of presenting a cheery Jolly hockey sticks C of E Dibley 100 best hymns type show, not some deep philosophical discussion.

LOL, doubt she believes in God though, would be a bit odd if I'm right.