As easy as pi....

thorrthorr Posts: 2,153
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Has been bugging me for 20 years!

How does 3.1415926535732 etc allow the Dr to walk across that grid in the 5 doctors. It doesn't seem to bear any relevance to what he does next! Any mathematicians out there....?

Comments

• andy1231andy1231 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    Not much in the 5 Doctors makes much sense if you think about it.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think Terrance Dicks ever had a very good grasp of Maths!

It makes no sense whatsoever, to us mere humans - but the Doctor and the Master are Time Lords so perhaps they have some superclever alien way of using Pi to randomly walk across a painted floor... :D
  • Jack_RamoneJack_Ramone Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    I always thought it was like a "password", you have to think of the number as you step on the tile.
  • donovan5donovan5 Posts: 1,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anniversary specials aren't supposed to make sense,just squeeze in as many Doctors and companions as you can,throw in a few nods to other eras for the fan boys and worry about fitting a story around it as you go along
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    More to the point, why didn't they just walk round it?
  • meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,108
    Forum Member
    This bit did serve a purpose though. The first time we were being told about pi at school, I recited Tegan's description of what pi is and looked like a real smart-arse to the teacher and the rest of the class.

I'm glad I wasn't pressed on it any further though as that was the extent of my knowledge, but then I was only 10 at the time.
  • bp2bp2 Posts: 1,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My guess is that each digit represents the column number of the safe square for the next row but they realised they couldn't do it and did it in a random order instead. e.g. row 1 column 3, row 2 column 1 etc.
  • Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    If you listen carefully to Hurndall's dialogue, he clearly says "the Greek letterpie" (all one word) and not "the Greek letter pie".

I assume this is some kind of Timelord correlative to alphabeti spaghetti.
  • adams66adams66 Posts: 3,945
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mulett wrote: »

Hmmm. That's a very good point! :)
  • Jack_RamoneJack_Ramone Posts: 471
    Forum Member
    Mulett wrote: »

Because of the way the columns were positioned, it would be impossible to not set foot on the grid.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    I remember half-expecting them to be heckled by an angry aspidistra during that sequence.
  • GDKGDK Posts: 9,476
    Forum Member
    Gronda, gronda, granddad. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 255
    Forum Member
    GDK wrote: »
    Gronda, gronda, granddad. :D

Doogy rev! :D
  • MulettMulett Posts: 9,057
    Forum Member
    And why did the Cybermen at the rear suddenly rush onto the grid after they saw the lasers shooting down all the Cybermen at the front?