Options

Torchwood/ Who crossover?

somerset foxsomerset fox Posts: 728
Forum Member
✭✭
So it's already been established that Torchwood and Who exist in the same universe. (Cyberwoman referenced the Battle of Canary Wharf etc), but RTD has said that there won't be an official TW/DW crossover, so my point is this:

Will the events speculated in ep 13 WHO, with the Earth under The Master's control, happen in the TW universe? Will the new TW series reference the WHO events? It ought to, shouldn't it, or will it all happen between series 1 and 2 and everything will be back to normal for TW series 2?

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think the TW/Who crossover with Capt Jack i think doesn't fit because i assumed the TARDIS formed around Jack and then off they went but i suppose Jack could have got out of the Hub in about 30 seconds and ran to the TARDIS.
  • Options
    bigaltbigalt Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Capt Jack is in the last three episodes of Dr Who is that not already the cross over no matter what RTD says about official or not. You have the main character from TW in DW so surelyit it is a cross over. Was the last series finale not a cross over as well since DW was involved with the battle at TW London.
  • Options
    be more pacificbe more pacific Posts: 19,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IIRC, it's fine for Torchwood to rely on continuity from Doctor Who (like the Battle of Canary Wharf) but Doctor Who isn't allowed to rely on continuity from Torchwood episodes. I think RTD is being careful to avoid promotion of an adult show within a family show.
  • Options
    bigaltbigalt Posts: 1,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If that is the case then he should stop mentioning the one in the other forthwith;) But then this would stop all the cross promoting that has been going on in plugging TW. He can't have it both ways
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lines ;ike "the rifts been active" will not be allowed then!
    in DWC they showed the DW Capt. Jack but did not glimpse in to Jack's adventures at TW.
    wonder if they will mention his reapperance on the TWDC next year and his time in DW.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 302
    Forum Member
    I think the hand was sort of a cross over thing as well becuase thats been in both DW and TW

RTD et al arent gonna say if there is a cross over really because they wont want to spoil it all and let us know everything

who knows what could happen in the near future
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Team53 wrote: »
    lines ;ike "the rifts been active" will not be allowed then!
    in DWC they showed the DW Capt. Jack but did not glimpse in to Jack's adventures at TW.
    wonder if they will mention his reapperance on the TWDC next year and his time in DW.

That was just a throwaway 'nod' to TW. DW wouldn't have an entire episode based around the aftermath of End of Days which relied on viewers having seen the other programme like TW did with Doomsday/Cyberwoman.

In fact, the Cardiff branch of Torchwood was pretty much brushed under the carpet when Jack told his life/deaths story in tonight's episode.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice subtle use of the Torchwood theme when Jack was running towards the Tardis and also when the Tardis first landed at the end of time. . .
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 819
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mmm.. someone tell me, cos i aint watched it yet.. did cpt jack mention to the doc he'd been working for torchwood?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't think so, Just said he'd been hanging around waiting for the Doctor
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,273
    Forum Member
    I don't suppose there's any harm in it. I have only watched Torchwood once, didn't like it, and probably never will again, but the appearance of one of the characters doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the main prog, nor cast any sinister shadows over it. I didn't watch all of the first series though - wasn't Captain Jack a character in the first series too? That's what I gathered from the dialogue in last night's episode. I am also given to thinking this because when Torchwood first appeared on our screens a poster said "It's nice to see Captain Jack on our screens again" so I am assuming he had life before Torchwood.

To be honest, if references to the goings on in Torchwood made it necessary to start watching Torchwood in order to properly enjoy the main prog then I would stop watching Dr Who, but that hasn't happened yet and if the production team have any sense they won't let it.
  • Options
    DoubleDoomDoubleDoom Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    If Torchwood had been an adult programme instead of a teenager smutty programme, then crossovers wouldnt have been a problem.

It would be great to see Doctor Who in Torchwood with an adult theme.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    helo_75 wrote: »
    mmm.. someone tell me, cos i aint watched it yet.. did cpt jack mention to the doc he'd been working for torchwood?
    yes, he did, in the radioation chamber when Jack was telling the Doctor of his life after he met the Doctor.
    diva_moon wrote: »
    I don't suppose there's any harm in it. I have only watched Torchwood once, didn't like it, and probably never will again, but the appearance of one of the characters doesn't spoil my enjoyment of the main prog, nor cast any sinister shadows over it. I didn't watch all of the first series though - wasn't Captain Jack a character in the first series too? That's what I gathered from the dialogue in last night's episode. I am also given to thinking this because when Torchwood first appeared on our screens a poster said "It's nice to see Captain Jack on our screens again" so I am assuming he had life before Torchwood.

To be honest, if references to the goings on in Torchwood made it necessary to start watching Torchwood in order to properly enjoy the main prog then I would stop watching Dr Who, but that hasn't happened yet and if the production team have any sense they won't let it.
    Yes, Capt. Jack was in the final 5 eps of DW series 1. They abandoned him in the year 200,100 after Rose had brought him back to life after she had killed the Daleks. He then used his spacehopper to go back to 1892 and then lived life and death and then joined TW so that he could keep an eye and ear out for the Doctor. The last bit is what we got from last night.
  • Options
    The SlugThe Slug Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    priggy wrote: »
    yes, he did, in the radioation chamber when Jack was telling the Doctor of his life after he met the Doctor.
    No he didn't.
    Hot Dogg wrote: »
    Don't think so, Just said he'd been hanging around waiting for the Doctor
    That's right. :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DoubleDoom wrote: »
    If Torchwood had been an adult programme instead of a teenager smutty programme, then crossovers wouldnt have been a problem.
    [A Cardiff alleyway. Night]

Captain Jack: So what does regeneration feel like, Doctor?

The Doctor: It's like the best f***ing orgasm you've ever had multiplied by a squillion!

[The men stop as they notice a mangled corpse dumped amongst bags of rubbish.]

Captain Jack: Weevil bastards! They f***ing f***ety f***ed this guy to death! The f***ers!

[The Doctor kneels down to examine the corpse.]

The Doctor: I'm sorry. Im so f***ing sorry, you f***ing poor c***!

Etc...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    [A Cardiff alleyway. Night]

Captain Jack: So what does regeneration feel like, Doctor?

The Doctor: It's like the best f***ing orgasm you've ever had multiplied by a squillion!

[The men stop as they notice a mangled corpse dumped amongst bags of rubbish.]

Captain Jack: Weevil bastards! They f***ing f***ety f***ed this guy to death! The f***ers!

[The Doctor kneels down to examine the corpse.]

The Doctor: I'm sorry. Im so f***ing sorry, you f***ing poor c***!

Etc...

That's uncanny. It's almost like torchwood, just with less swearing. No kissing either? Surely they would have got it on by now?
  • Options
    roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The doctor should cross over to torchwood, but play a darker timelord, no companions
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if after Jack and the Doctor's exchange in the chamber, if Jack will no longer want to be 'normal' again, it seemed that he know liked being ummortal, where as in TW he wasn't keen on it.
    IMO they should leave Jack immortal, now he's happy with it and knows the Doctor can not reverse it.
  • Options
    Gutted GirlGutted Girl Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe one of the reasons that Jack wasn't the Jack we knew in Torchwood was that besides being unhappy about being left behind and wanting the whole imortallity thing answered he also had found out that Rose died at Torchwood London.

You're not going to get promotion in Doctor Who for Torchwood because it's not suitable viewing for a proportion of the DW audience. Though it did make me giggle when the 10 year old Fear Factor reviewer recognised the Torchwood theme music and when his dad asked him how he knew that, he changed the subject rapidly.

As for the ending of Torchwood, beginning of Utopia, it looked as if Jack was running from the main Tourist Office entrance to the Hub. He wouldn't have been able to use the lift, as the TARDIS was parked on it so he wouldn't have been able to gain entry that way.

As for the other's not noticing Jack leaving when they came back with the pizzas, I guess the company doesn't deliver anymore after what happened in Cyberwoman), I think that they were all just preoccupied with their own thoughts. Owen on thinking where he was going to find someone to shag that night, Tosh daydreaming about shagging Owen and Ianto contemplating new uses for a stopwatch.
  • Options
    Vickyb83Vickyb83 Posts: 718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Team53 wrote: »
    I wonder if after Jack and the Doctor's exchange in the chamber, if Jack will no longer want to be 'normal' again, it seemed that he know liked being ummortal, where as in TW he wasn't keen on it.
    IMO they should leave Jack immortal, now he's happy with it and knows the Doctor can not reverse it.

My friend reads a lot more articles and stuff than me about Doctor Who and Torchwood and she told me that Captain Jack in the next series of Torchwood will be more like we know him in Doctor Who. Is this true?
    If it is then it would make some sense because he was wanting answers from the doctor and now he has them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for the ending of Torchwood, beginning of Utopia, it looked as if Jack was running from the main Tourist Office entrance to the Hub. He wouldn't have been able to use the lift, as the TARDIS was parked on it so he wouldn't have been able to gain entry that way.

Yeah... I gave up on Torchwood but watched the last few minutes of that final episode to see what would happen to Jack.

To me it seemed like a TARDIS materialised in the hub, was it in fact outside and on the monitors or something?
  • Options
    AyceAyce Posts: 1,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To me it seemed like a TARDIS materialised in the hub, was it in fact outside and on the monitors or something?
    I thought I was imagining things.... yet its out side on DW...

Only explination is that Jacks been dropped off when we see TW but then correct me if I'm wrong but does nt he open the door and go in to the Tardis ?

Terran