Just how good is the Sharp GX 20

gers09gers09 Posts: 1,914
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all, i think im going to buy a sharp gx 20 on pay as you go. Im just wondering what everyone thinks of it before i buy it? It looks like a good buy, but what is it like 2 use? Is there a better phone for the same price or cheaper? (£300 or below)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i was going to buy it, id say a good deal for its now reduced price of £299. however im not going to wait out for the GX30 or SE T650 - both above 1megapixel camera etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tested a GX-20 out the other day, very impressive camera and "flash" - disco lights make it funky, you won't be dissapointed with it :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    If it's anything like the GX10 (which I hope it isn't!) then steer clear. That has to be the biggest rip-off I've ever come across in my life.
  • SafraSafra Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    I have the GX20 and i must say its that best phone iv ever had! The camera and screen quality is amazing, and the flash is a great idea as well. You can record 16second video clips, and all the keys are well spaced out so it is very easy to use. The GX30 sounds impressive, but to me it doesn't look as nice as the GX20. I would definitely recommend anyone to buy the Sharp GX20.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    the only problem is that it only has 2mb of memory, and with videos taking up a gd amount, i would have thoght the memory would go pretty quickly...
    tjc
  • gers09gers09 Posts: 1,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How much memory does your average picture take up on the gx 20? and the same question about video files?
  • SafraSafra Posts: 7,864
    Forum Member
    Taking the full 16sec video clip takes up around 96KB, i have 5 video clips and it takes up 24% of the memory.
    An average picture for me is usually around 10KB, but it can range from anything between 7KB-18KB for a full size picture in normal mode. The size depends on what kind of picture your taking and with what quality.
  • dabotsonlinedabotsonline Posts: 228
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by tjclague
    the only problem is that it only has 2mb of memory

The forthcoming GX30 has an SD card slot for expandable memory to solve that problem.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 327
    Forum Member
    When is the GX30 available?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    not too sure, i would guess at around may time, coming on PAYG in the summer time.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Anorax
    If it's anything like the GX10 (which I hope it isn't!) then steer clear. That has to be the biggest rip-off I've ever come across in my life.

what is so bad about the GX10?

Dan
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    its a good phone, but its waaaaaay too expensive. its still around £200, and you can get phones (like you phone dan) for less than half that price which are better.
    tjc
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    my mate has one but i personally find it to be better than mine, the camera is far brighter and clearer!

Dan
    Forum Member
    gers, you might be interested to read this:
    Originally posted by Sharp
    Vodafone launches Europe's first mega-pixel camera phone

Vodafone today announces the latest addition to its range of Vodafone
    live! exclusive handsets and the first mega-pixel camera phone for GSM
    networks - the Sharp GX30. The new phone follows the Sharp GX10, GX10i
    and the GX20, some of the best-selling handsets in the Vodafone live!
    range.

The state-of-the-art Sharp GX30 comes with a built-in CCD camera
    capable of taking one million-pixel high-quality images, the first of
    its kind in Europe. For the first time on GSM networks, Vodafone
    customers will be able to take photographs suitable for print out and
    eliminate the need to carry a separate digital camera. Additional new
    features include a unique 262,144 colour large-sized LCD screen (four
    times the quality of the GX20), a removable SD memory card for greater
    storage and easy transfer, as well as an MP3 player, enabling customers
    to play their favourite music tracks on their handset.

Peter Bamford, Chief Marketing Officer, said, "The Sharp GX30 is a
    clear example of how Vodafone is using its global scale and scope to
    deliver the latest mobile technology to its European customers. By
    operating as a global team, Vodafone can deliver a phone like the Sharp
    GX30 - a phone that is packed with all the latest features, has a great
    design, yet is still easy to use. By expanding the customer proposition
    through handset innovation, Vodafone is creating a richer and broader
    service platform from which to drive revenue growth."

The Sharp GX30 will be available in retail stores from March 2004.

Photography
    For images of the GX30, please see: http://www.vodafone.com/media

http://www.vodafone.com/assets/img/en/gx30_vod1_med.jpg

http://www.vodafone.com/assets/img/en/gx30_vod2_med.jpg

http://www.vodafone.com/assets/img/en/gx30_vod3_med.jpg
    Forum Member
    Perhaps you should wait for the Dbtel M8, possibly the world's best GSM phone announced so far (although there might be something incredible announced at next week's 3GSM Conference).

Currently scheduled for a late May launch in China and Taiwan.

*Photo* http://english.dbtel.com.tw/productweb/international/intimg/cell-m8.jpg

Specifications
    Band mode:
    GSM 900 / 1800
    Size:
    88x45x25mm
    Weight:
    95g
    Display:
    Main: 262000 color TFT 240x320 2.2" (QVGA)
    Sub : 65000 color OLED 96x64 1.2"
    Standard Features
    SD/MMC Card
    For memory-16MB standard
    (512MB / 1G for option)
    SDIO-Wireless LAN, GPS
    CMOS 0.3M/1.3M Camera for video
    Video- Video recording, Playing
    Stills- Picture editing, MMS sending
    MP3 / MPEG4 playing / Video & Voice recording
    Two way voice recording
    Background MP3 music while calling
    Download through HTTP
    FM radio
    Bluetooth / IrDA / USB interface
    MMS
    JAVA Application / Download / Embedded games
    GPRS Class 10 / WAP 1.2.1
    40 / 64 Polyphonics with 2 stereo speakers
    3D Animation screen saver / wallpapers

http://english.dbtel.com.tw/productweb/international/m8.html

To give you an idea of price, the slightly lesser specified OKwap S762 currently retails for the equivalent of about £210 (sim-free). The S762 is a similar spec to the GX30, albeit only with a 300K pixel resoltuion camera.
    Forum Member
    The OKwap has a touch screen as well!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    only 300k camera though. this is what ive been waiting for 1megapixel cameras on phone to save arrying a camera around. im waiting for eithe rthe sharp GX30 or the SE T650, the se is suposed to have a 1.3megapixel camera. however it looks as though sharp GX30 will be out first., havent heard much about the SE t650. it annoys me though how they take so long to reach PAYG, as i dont want a contract. Anyonw else waiting for these two phones for there next upgrade?
    Forum Member
    The Dbtel has a 300k pixel camcorder for video but 1.3M pixel for still camera shots. That has been confirmed. However, I acknowledge that it is misleading on the spec page because of the order of the words. It is definitely a 1.3M pixel stills camera. The GX30 has a 1.0M pixel camera in contrast, and I presume a 300k pixel camcorder, although the excat figure is unknown. Therefore, the Dbtel has a 300k pixel advantage over the GX30. It also looks better IMO, and is set to be cheaper.

I'm not saying that the GX30 is a bad phone, it looks very impressive, all I'm saying is that it might be worth waiting for the Dbtel to launch to compare the two, because an estimated £210 SIM-free is a decent price. It may turn out that the GX30 is actually a better phone, but to me it's worth waiting to actually find out.
    Forum Member
    The SE T650 is apparently only going to have a 640x480 VGA camera, it's not meant to be a massive step above the T610/630. The T710/800, the other phone in SE's promo vid, is supposed to be a cut-down, slimline version of SE/DoCoMo's SO505iS in Japan, which featured a 1.3M pixel camera. However, the GSM T710/800 version is meant to have no expandandable memory slot, i.e. not SD slot just onboard memory, and not a QVGA 320x240 screen. It is meant to use a new UI called E100, which only uses a screen resolution of 176x220 (slightly larger than Series 60 176x208). It also limits the number of screen colours to 65k, even if the device's hardware is capable of 262k or more. Here is the E100 spec: http://www.ericsson.com/mobileplatforms/products/edge/E100.shtml
    On the positive side, E100 is rumoured to be the most user-friendly and efficient UI ever. I say rumoured, because everything with the new SE range are rumours at the moment. MobileBurn, Mobile-Review, InfoSyncWorld, What Mobile Forums etc. are all saying different things. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Hopefully, there will be more info released at next week's 3GSM Conference (23rd-25th Feb). But at the moment, it seems as though the T710/800 will be a compromised version of the SO505iS, and the T650 some way below even that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by dabotsonline
    The Dbtel has a 300k pixel camcorder for video but 1.3M pixel for still camera shots. That has been confirmed. However, I acknowledge that it is misleading on the spec page because of the order of the words. It is definitely a 1.3M pixel stills camera. The GX30 has a 1.0M pixel camera in contrast, and I presume a 300k pixel camcorder, although the excat figure is unknown. Therefore, the Dbtel has a 300k pixel advantage over the GX30. It also looks better IMO, and is set to be cheaper.

I'm not saying that the GX30 is a bad phone, it looks very impressive, all I'm saying is that it might be worth waiting for the Dbtel to launch to compare the two, because an estimated £210 SIM-free is a decent price. It may turn out that the GX30 is actually a better phone, but to me it's worth waiting to actually find out.

oh sorry i didn't realise that. in that case it looks very good. i cant believe it would be only £210 on sim free though?
    Forum Member
    That is the estimated price. As always, we won't know until the product is actually released.

I need to e-mail Dbtel actually, to see if the M8's camera has got a flash, and what the zoom and special features are like. They might be able to give us a more precise price, too.