Dalmatian needs new home

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,352
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi guys, I know this is probably a long shot, but does anyone know of anyone who would like to rehome an 8yr old dalmatian?

He's just turned 8yrs old, and is vaccinated, neutered & microchipped. He ideally needs an owner who can spend a lot of time with him, and also a male in the household. He isn't too obedient with women, but seems to respond well to men! He also has a "Labrador attitude" to food - if he wants it, he'll get it or beg for it. Hence him weighing 46kg 18 months ago! He's now down to a fairly healthy 32-34kg. And I'm afraid he does raid bins, and chase cats!

He currently lives in a household with 4 other cats - one puts him in his place, but he does chase and upset the other three...

He can be trusted to be let off the lead when out, and will come back when called - but his owner does muzzle him because he likes to nip other dogs (not in an aggressive way, but in a playful way when playing chase - he's never broken the skin), and obviously some owners can't see that it's just playing.

His owner has contacted Dalmatian rescue charities, but is on a waiting list, and doesn't feel that she can cope with him for much longer.

If anyone would like more info, or knows of any other charities that may help (she's based in West Yorkshire) I'd be very grateful!

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,859
    Forum Member
    He sounds like a character :D You may have better or quicker advice posting this on a site such as Pet Forums
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you seen this site http://www.dogpages.org.uk/ some lovely people all dedicated to help with rehoming. Much better than DS I think for this sort of thing.
  • 19711971 Posts: 1,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP can you post this on petforum.co.uk please I am sure that you will get more hits and results from there.

EDIT: I have done it:
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-rescue-adoption/90449-dalmatian-needs-new-home-8yr-old.html#post1419133
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This upsets me a lot giving the dog away at 8 years I could never give my dog away it would break his heart and mine. The stress it must put them under, and because of cats...why not get rid of the cats? They are far easier to rehome. Its none of my business really i just dont get how ppl can be so fairweather with their pets unless it really is a circumstance which doesnt offer another solution.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SamanthaP wrote: »
    This upsets me a lot giving the dog away at 8 years I could never give my dog away it would break his heart and mine. The stress it must put them under, and because of cats...why not get rid of the cats? They are far easier to rehome. Its none of my business really i just dont get how ppl can be so fairweather with their pets unless it really is a circumstance which doesnt offer another solution.

Erm the OP never said he was being rehomed because of the cats but mentioned them as an illustration of how he is with them. The OP did mention that the owner is having problems coping with him which can happen with large strong dogs. I don't think we should vilify someone for trying to be responsible and try and find a good home for their dog. I don't think that this is cats over dogs or vice versa thread.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SamanthaP wrote: »

Yet you think it OK to be fair-weather with the cats :confused:

I'm sure its better for the dog to be re-homed with people who can look after him, after all the owner could have just had him put down.

Seems like a great dog who just needs to be put into his place.