Staying asleep during the day on shifts

somerset foxsomerset fox Posts: 728
Forum Member
✭✭
I work a rotating shift pattern so every 10 days do two night shifts. As I get older (49 now) I find I have no problem getting t sleep when I come home at 0700, but by 10:30 I am waking up, unable to get any more sleep. I manage some light dozing throughout the day, but get nowhere near enough and so am grumpy and agitated for those two days. Any ideas?

Comments

• izanamiizanami Posts: 2,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is waking you? Just natural or noise or what?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Been there, done that. 20 years of nights.

1. dont eat after 2am and when you get home.
    2.Shower then straight to bed.
    3. Light blocking curtains (especially in the summer)
    4. disconnect phone.
  • Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Obvious, but have you got blackout curtains/blinds? Try earplugs if you are waking because of outside noises. I also find that having my room quite warm (but not excessively so) helps me sleep during the day when I've been on nightshift, so maybe try setting your heating to come on for an hour or so just before you get home. Nightshifts - especially where you only do one or two at a time - can be a real killer so you have my sympathy. I tend to work a one off night every few weeks or so and always end up like a zombie.
  • Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *paul* wrote: »
    Been there, done that. 20 years of nights.

1. dont eat after 2am and when you get home.
    2.Shower then straight to bed.
    3. Light blocking curtains (especially in the summer)
    4. disconnect phone.

All this and put good ear plugs in.
    Disconnect door bell and put a note on the door asking for no door knockers.

I have sleep problems now which I blame on having to work nights for quite a while a few years ago.

Do not have a telly in the room or your laptop, it is too easy to switch them on if you wake up, well it was for me.
  • Ron_JRon_J Posts: 1,751
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Do not have a telly in the room or your laptop, it is too easy to switch them on if you wake up, well it was for me.

Too true - hide your ipad if you have one.
  • LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't go to bed as soon as you get home. People who work 9-to-5 don't do it, so why should you when working shifts?

It takes a few hours for the body to wind down after finishing work so if you get home at 7:00am, find some things to do - go shopping (supermarkets are quiet at that time in the morning), catch up on some TV or do some house work. If you put off going to bed until 10 or 11am then you'll probably find you sleep better during the day and won't feel as tired at work.
  • chaoticspiritchaoticspirit Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    I've worked nigts for over 20 yearsand still sometimes have sleep problems. I have blackout blinds and use earplugs. Agree with the advice about not eating/drinking straight before bed but other than that it's a case of finding what routine works best for YOU. Some of my work colleagues stay up when they get home and go to bed about lunchtime, others (including me) pretty much go to bed as soon as they get home. Essentially though, working nights isn't natural for your body and some people just can't adapt no matter how long they do it for.