Holby City / Casualty

dollymix53dollymix53 Posts: 8,976
Forum Member
I don't really watch Holby city but regularly watch Casualty, I thought are they same hospital,? So why does it look a completely different hospital from the outside shots. ;->:(. I see sometimes they cross over with the staff/actors,
Can any one enlighten me please.

Comments

• A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dollymix53 wrote: »
    I don't really watch Holby city but regularly watch Casualty, I thought are they same hospital,? So why does it look a completely different hospital from the outside shots. ;->:(. I see sometimes they cross over with the staff/actors,

In theory same hospitality but they are filmed in different places.

Holby is Elstree.
    Casualty is in Cardiff.

Think of it this way many hospitals cover many buildings in large grounds and so can look to be in different places.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is talk of moving Holby to Cardiff so there can be more crossover of characters (which was the original plan when Holby began). At the moment it's difficult with the programmes at opposite ends of the M4/M25. Holby shares Elstree with EastEnders.
  • dollymix53dollymix53 Posts: 8,976
    Forum Member
    A.D.P wrote: »

Holby is Elstree.
    Casualty is in Cardiff.

Think of it this way many hospitals cover many buildings in large grounds and so can look to be in different places.

Thanks for that, I did wonder if that was it! I've watched Casualty more or less from the start but never got into Holby, only got it on while waiting for M/Chef>:(
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,725
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A.D.P wrote: »

Holby is Elstree.
    Casualty is in Cardiff.

Yes, in Casualty, when they go into the lift they are effectively delivering somebody to Holby. However the lift only ever goes in one direction. It must do as never in the field of recorded history has any surgical team from another part of the hospital ever found there way to A and E when they are desperately needed. It always boils down the A and E staff performing heroics -something they have never done before and shouldn't do really but...............
    Put up better bloody signage, that's what I say :D
  • a01020304a01020304 Posts: 2,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what was the episode of holby that did the longest one take scene, it was where they are seen walking up several flights of stairs then across the fill length of the building then down another 2 flights of stairs, think the scene lasted for 10 minues and was all done in one take. it was several years ago now but anyone know if its on youtube?
  • McCollMcColl Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Casualty wasn't on Saturday night and I can't find any scheduled episodes listed ...anyone know?
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    McColl wrote: »
    Casualty wasn't on Saturday night and I can't find any scheduled episodes listed ...anyone know?

Last Saturday was that Live at Edinburgh Castle special. The next couple of weeks will be the Commonwealth Games. So don't expect anything before Aug 9th which is probably a bit far in the future for the TV guides.
    Forum Member
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Last Saturday was that Live at Edinburgh Castle special. The next couple of weeks will be the Commonwealth Games. So don't expect anything before Aug 9th which is probably a bit far in the future for the TV guides.

I half expected to see it shown on Sunday instead ...oh well, more sport to disrupt things - wish they'd put sports on one of their other channels then everyone would be happy :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I half expected to see it shown on Sunday instead ...oh well, more sport to disrupt things - wish they'd put sports on one of their other channels then everyone would be happy :)

Well Sunday had the Golf and F1, more sport :)

Trouble is if the Beeb stuck the sport on BBC 3 or whatever you'd only get the sports fans winging and moaning. If they stick the sport on BBC 1 you get the "where are my normal programmes" crowd winging and moaning.

So no matter what they they do they are stuffed :D
    Forum Member
    Well Sunday had the Golf and F1, more sport :)

Trouble is if the Beeb stuck the sport on BBC 3 or whatever you'd only get the sports fans winging and moaning. If they stick the sport on BBC 1 you get the "where are my normal programmes" crowd winging and moaning.

So no matter what they they do they are stuffed :D
    I thought Sunday because that's what they did during the football or tennis - surely if what people wanted to watch was on one of their channels, there'd be nothing to complain about ? I know I wouldn't mind.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought Sunday because that's what they did during the football or tennis - surely if what people wanted to watch was on one of their channels, there'd be nothing to complain about ? I know I wouldn't mind.

It is totally illogical but going by some of the, often heated, debates in other sections of DS it seems that some people believe that the BBC must only ever show major sporting events on BBC 1 and at a pinch BBC 2. Putting such events on BBC 3 or 4 is the gravest insult to the nation and should result in the instant dismissal of the BBC Director General, the BBC Trust and the immediate closure of the BBC. Or something like that. :D

And an equally vociferous bunch of people believe that the BBC must never ever disrupt the normal schedules and have much the same reaction as above if they have to retune to BBC 3 or whatever to get their fix of Eastenders.

As I say totally illogical as everybody who can receive BBC 1 can get BBC 3 so does it really matter if you have to change channel once in a while?
    Forum Member
    It is totally illogical but going by some of the, often heated, debates in other sections of DS it seems that some people believe that the BBC must only ever show major sporting events on BBC 1 and at a pinch BBC 2. Putting such events on BBC 3 or 4 is the gravest insult to the nation and should result in the instant dismissal of the BBC Director General, the BBC Trust and the immediate closure of the BBC. Or something like that. :D

And an equally vociferous bunch of people believe that the BBC must never ever disrupt the normal schedules and have much the same reaction as above if they have to retune to BBC 3 or whatever to get their fix of Eastenders.

As I say totally illogical as everybody who can receive BBC 1 can get BBC 3 so does it really matter if you have to change channel once in a while?

I quite agree with you: as long as it's on somewhere, what does it matter as long as programme schedules/listings are kept updated for information :)
  • airfixairfix Posts: 3,067
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have been suffering with a tumour on my pituitary gland, the same as Elliot Hope. The way they have him lolling his head around in the MRI scanner is laughable. My head was clamped in place for all 45 minutes of my scan. It was not a pleasant experience!
    I've been waiting since October 2012 to hear if surgery is right for me, at present I take Cabergoline which is meant to shrink the tumour (it isn't!).
    I guess that Prof Hope was fast tracked into theatre!
  • best boybest boy Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dollymix53 wrote: »

Yes. It's because Casualty ran out of steam years ago and its ever-outlandish 'crises' are now laughable.
    Holby was once decent but is now treading water and should also be put out of its misery. Is Jac still denying Johnny access to the sprog? She was a year ago and it's still ongoing. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
  • Mark FMark F Posts: 53,273
    Forum Member
    I think she gave him full control/access to Emma a few weeks back having taken out an order preventing Jonny from seeing her at all.

Get the feeling both have turned into more of a soap type programme (maybe they were always intended to be as such) with more action between the staff than about the patients.
  • Jaycee DoveJaycee Dove Posts: 18,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Casualty does not get a 52 weeks a year commission. It gets around 46/48 episodes a year I believe. As such the BBC refer to them as 'series' and times them to end late summer and restart late summer/early autumn. AKA around August.

This is to allow for episodes missing weeks - such as over Christmas and during Summer sporting events.

There used to be a 3/4 week gap between series in around August but they seem to have started losing more and more episodes (eg one for Eurovision) earlier in the year and creating only a small gap now between series.

Of course, it is effectively a continuing drama but not in the sense of East Enders which is commissioned to run year round. Holby has that kind of status, too. But Casualty still has the missing weeks built in by ordering less than 52 episodes per year.
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recently, Holby had a patient delivered direct from a car or bike crash. He was delivered by the ambulance staff and nurses were told what treatment the patient received en route. But the big question is: Why does Holby take so many patients in off the street and not via Casualty? Or do they reckon that the trip from Cardiff to Elstree might harm the patient?