Options

Masterchef New Zealand

Comments

• Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    cika wrote: »
    I've got TiVo and I've put MasterChef on my Wish list to auto record, so everything with MasterChef in the title gets recorded automatically.

Not sad at all ... :blush:

It must fill up pretty quickly! 😁
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    clm2071 wrote: »
    There are several bitchy women but I have no knowledge of blow up dolls at all. Honest. 😇

LOL!!! You will know who I mean but yeah they do NOt pull any punches, that lot!!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    RFS wrote: »
    LOL!!! You will know who I mean but yeah they do NOt pull any punches, that lot!!!

I assume you mean the startled looking blonde?
  • Options
    Forum Member

Hahah yes that's the one!!!
  • Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

She was a great contestant and, even better, did actually have some genuine talent in the kitchen.
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,020
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've got TiVo and I've put MasterChef on my Wish list to auto record, so everything with MasterChef in the title gets recorded automatically.

Not sad at all ... :blush:
    Snap............me neither :blush:

The ones who went tonight (the brother/sister combo) were dreadful :o

Why folks like that who barely know an oven from a frying pan think they're of Masterchef standard is beyond me.

This couples twist is interesting but I wouldn't do it.

Must be awful to get kicked off due to something your partner cocked-up :D
  • Options
    cikacika Posts: 3,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    Snap............me neither :blush:

The ones who went tonight (the brother/sister combo) were dreadful :o

Why folks like that who barely know an oven from a frying pan think they're of Masterchef standard is beyond me.

This couples twist is interesting but I wouldn't do it.

Must be awful to get kicked off due to something your partner cocked-up :D

Wonder how long it is before they speak to each other again!

I think the two who went on Friday sum up what I'm not enjoying so much about this one - a lot of the couples seem to be doing it either for fun or to get on TV, rather than because they're brilliant cooks who really want to take it further. Not their fault - that's down to the production team and who they choose but it's not what I watch MC for. It's a bit MCA series 5 - too many cooks with limited knowledge and skills.

There are a few who shine but I'm still not convinced having couples add anything to the format.
  • Options
    ArtemesiaArtemesia Posts: 43,241
    Forum Member
    I'm watching it but not that keen on the couples format. I love the Oz one but Canada was the best ever. I see that they are showing another Canadian series on CTV next month according to their FB page but not sure when it will be on Watch.Someone suggested I could watch on youtube but most are disallowed here in Greece..
    I am generally a day behind with my viewing with being 2 hours ahead but look forward to discussing it.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I suspect this episode a lot of them discover that being a chef of any kind, Master or otherwise is really not for them, judging by the trailer!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're all coming across a bit clueless, aren't they? Especially Mr 'I make cheesecake all the time'. For 165 people? In a fine dining hotel? Of course you do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gonna have to play catch up tonight, my daughter is insisting that we watch Gnomeo and Juliet....😒
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gonna have to play catch up tonight, my daughter is insisting that we watch Gnomeo and Juliet....😒

Aw, cute film.

Lips -> sealed. :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    They're all coming across a bit clueless, aren't they? Especially Mr 'I make cheesecake all the time'. For 165 people? In a fine dining hotel? Of course you do.

Yeah he is quite a muppet. I was going to use a ruder word but I am in polite company! I mean is this the first time he has even seen this programme

"He wants me to call him chef, he's probably 10 years younger than me" ... Come on now....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aw, cute film.

Lips -> sealed. :cool:

The cuteness starts to diminsh after the 20th watch....😵
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The cuteness starts to diminsh after the 20th watch....😵

:D

Another benefit of being a grandma - you usually only have to watch things once!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    :D

Another benefit of being a grandma - you usually only have to watch things once!

At least its not Frozen I suppose....Do you want to build a snowman....Let it go....AARGHHH!!!! 😠
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK, now I'm getting annoyed with this series. How do you get onto MasterChef if you've never made mayonnaise - and that's half of a partnership where the other half applied last year too? How do you not know that at some stage you're going to have to, or cook scallops or whatever else it is most of them seem never to have done.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK, now I'm getting annoyed with this series. How do you get onto MasterChef if you've never made mayonnaise - and that's half of a partnership where the other half applied last year too? How do you not know that at some stage you're going to have to, or cook scallops or whatever else it is most of them seem never to have done.

I know what you mean, if you entered a cooking competition surely you would try and brush up on a few simple things?

Jointing a chicken, filleting a fish, making basic sauces etc
  • Options
    soteksotek Posts: 3,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree but it's easy to forget just how small the population of New Zealand is ... maybe 4.5m? The London area alone has three times as many people so I guess they have to take what they can get for these things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sotek wrote: »
    I agree but it's easy to forget just how small the population of New Zealand is ... maybe 4.5m? The London area alone has three times as many people so I guess they have to take what they can get for these things.

I hadn't thought of the population size, but that being the case why go the couples route? I can only speculate of course but I wonder if they've made the same mistake that the Autralian producers made by 'dumbing down' the contestants, particularly after Aaron last year who most of the time was streets ahead of the rest. If so, I really think they've misjudged it, as MCA found to its cost. I watch.MC to see people who can cook better than I can, with more imagination and flair and who put up food I can admire and would love to go out to eat. There are plenty of 'everyday' cookery shows. Something called MasterChef should be aspirational and inspirational.

Also with a sudden death cook off every show it's always possible that one of the stronger couples could have an off day and be sent home while a weaker couple who are just entering for fun or to be on the box go through. That undermines the whole thing for me.

I'll still watch it of course. There are a few who are really good. Plus I'm Aspergers so I have to watch something to the end once I've started or I'll be stressed out!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The Orange-bibbed people are now annoying me - the wife seems to be so confident about everything she cooks and then looks all horrified when they take it apart
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Cika, I too find it very difficult to stop watching a series I have started but they are starting to get on my nerves, they weren't this bad in the last series. I had the same problem with the Irish one last year, it was really boring with uninspiring cooks making uninspiring dishes.
    There are dozens of cookery shows on TV, MASTERchef should live up to it's name.....
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Artemesia wrote: »
    Cika, I too find it very difficult to stop watching a series I have started but they are starting to get on my nerves, they weren't this bad in the last series. I had the same problem with the Irish one last year, it was really boring with uninspiring cooks making uninspiring dishes.
    There are dozens of cookery shows on TV, MASTERchef should live up to it's name.....

Absolutely. And MasterChef not MasterReasonableHomeCook. The first Irish one was a shocker, wasn't it? And the second not much better.

Having said that, I've just caught up with last night's and am seeing a glimmer of hope! The challenges do seem to be weeding out the hopeless ones and especially the ones who aren't nearly as good as they think they are and can't take criticism.

I like the pink pair and the squabbling pair, and the dark grey pair seem to know what they're doing too. Not sure about any of the others yet (and not just because I'm blue/green colour blind so can't necessarily describe who I mean - yup, still haven't got a handle on their names. Perhaps I should watch the opening titles some time!). I'm hoping I'm going to be pleased I'm not giving up in a few days' time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Absolutely. And MasterChef not MasterReasonableHomeCook. The first Irish one was a shocker, wasn't it? And the second not much better.

Having said that, I've just caught up with last night's and am seeing a glimmer of hope! The challenges do seem to be weeding out the hopeless ones and especially the ones who aren't nearly as good as they think they are and can't take criticism.

I like the pink pair and the squabbling pair, and the dark grey pair seem to know what they're doing too. Not sure about any of the others yet (and not just because I'm blue/green colour blind so can't necessarily describe who I mean - yup, still haven't got a handle on their names. Perhaps I should watch the opening titles some time!). I'm hoping I'm going to be pleased I'm not giving up in a few days' time.
    I'll stick it out with you Cika and we have the Canadian one to look forward to in the near future, I will invariably be a day behind though because of the time difference. It is on at 9 here, my husband is usually home by then and though he likes Masterchef there are often things on that he prefers to watch so I try to catch up the following early evening.:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I thought the Irish one was awful, and the thing that struck me about the Canadian one was they kept referring to them as great home cooks!!