So who will take Tivo at launch?

Awshum-YawnAwshum-Yawn Posts: 1,718
Forum Member
✭✭✭
It seems like an unbelievable service and I can't wait... what about you?

Comments

• MarkLS12MarkLS12 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am hoping to, but hard to say as they have not announced the pricing.
  • Awshum-YawnAwshum-Yawn Posts: 1,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MarkLS12 wrote: »
    I am hoping to, but hard to say as they have not announced the pricing.

Knowing Vm it won't clear cut... personally hoping I can swing a deal if I keep all my existing boxes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I'll be queuing up to get a box as soon as possible, can't wait for more space with all these HD channels

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member
    All down to the pricing and finer details of the product. I could definitely see myself getting it if I can justify the price and it's a true upgrade to the existing V+ box ( i.e. not just a bigger HDD with bells and whistles).

It does look promising tho.
  • BigFoot87BigFoot87 Posts: 9,293
    Forum Member
    With the arrival of BBC 1 HD, that's all but 1 my series links (MoTD 2 on BBC 2) originating from HD channels.

20 hours of HD recording time simply isn't enough. At least my V+ HD box can breathe a sigh of relief tonight because the current series of Waterloo Road [HD] has ended.

So 1TB sounds about right. By my calculations, that should be enough for around 128 hours of HD recordings. More if Virgin used MPEG 4 instead of MPEG 2 for HD.
  • ek-ukek-uk Posts: 2,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I will probably be a fairly early adopter. Depending on the price. My SA V+ is nearly four years old now so I don't mind paying a couple of hundred quid for a new box. I probably wouldn't want to pay more per month for the tivo service though depending on just how good it is.
    Forum Member
    ek-uk wrote: »
    I will probably be a fairly early adopter. Depending on the price. My SA V+ is nearly four years old now so I don't mind paying a couple of hundred quid for a new box. I probably wouldn't want to pay more per month for the tivo service though depending on just how good it is.

My trusty TV Dri- I mean, V+ HD has been with me since Xmas 2006 :eek:, but I'll get Tivo if its sensibly priced.

There's gonna be a lot of people out of work soon, household budgets will be reduced accordingly and getting Tivoed won't be a pressing matter for many people, especially if they can get on by with existing V+ HD kit. VM need to realise this and price Tivo accordingly.

Having recommendations is nice. Finding content from linear/VOD/YouTube which stars, say, Tom Cruise, is nice. But neither are essential for a PVR.

If anything, I'd say that the extra recording capacity is going to be the key upgrade feature for Tivo, and not necessarily the Flash UI.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    need to see the final specification and prices first. if they can delivery on all the features at 100 quid or so then I might take it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind getting one but again it would depend on the price and as well as the 1tb of storage the other features it has or most probably will have.

We will all have to wait and see what happens in the next few weeks or months.:rolleyes:

But i cant wait.:)
  • OLD BOYOLD BOY Posts: 2,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm definitely motivated to get the new box but I will look at the reviews and the pricing first. If people on the forums are generally complimentary, try stopping me!
  • carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,699
    Forum Member
    Yes, at any cost. I mean... who needs food, really? :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 94
    Forum Member
    i've had my tv drive since the week they were released. can not wait for Tivo. will be getting it as soon as poss. regardless of cost
  • roland ratroland rat Posts: 13,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    currently I pay £55 for XL tv and broad band

Now if they give me a good deal, I would take the 50mb broadband, and tivo, So I am thinking

XL TV + XXL Broadband + Tivo....For £75 tops
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
    Forum Member
    Yes, I will be getting it as soon as possible,
    after it is released in my area, along with the 100MB Broadband,
    I also do not care what it costs

My VIP Package will be

Telephone Package

Size XL Phone
    Talk Mobile
    Talk International
    All Calling Features

TV Package

Size XL TV
    3 Virgin Boxes for all my TVs
    2x Tivo Boxes
    1x V HD Box
    Picture Box

As I have Sky as well,
    I do not need the Asian channels,
    Sky Sports or Sky Movies
    or the Sky HD Pack

Broadband Package

100MB Broadband
    with the 400MB Super Hub of course
  • monkeyhanger09monkeyhanger09 Posts: 169
    Forum Member
    i dont get this why do people moan about im not going to buy it if it cost me alot blah blah balh ,simple really if you dont wanna spend the money on a premium service/stb dont do you think that a company is going to invest millions or whatever developing and upgradeding data centres or whatever to give the stb away for a cut price ?

you dont get it else where look at the price of sky + hd when that launched and especially the 1tb box how many sky customers paid 199.99 for the box you either want it or you dont
    Forum Member
    you wil not get the features or usability anywhere else is sky going to give you a dedicated 10 mb in built into the stb which doesnt interfere with your standard bbi connection no

flash bashed user interface

3d games

intergrated internet on your tv

the option to split your screen with internet and tv no of course not

sorry if people dont like what im saying but you get what you pay for
    Forum Member
    i dont get this why do people moan about im not going to buy it if it cost me alot blah blah balh ,simple really if you dont wanna spend the money on a premium service/stb dont do you think that a company is going to invest millions or whatever developing and upgradeding data centres or whatever to give the stb away for a cut price ?

I don't get this why do people not realise that we have come out of a recession and are facing the biggest government/council cuts this generation has ever seen?

Sky have and will continue to pick up customers because they have loads of £££ to spend on marketing, more than ITV spend on programmes! Result? More HD customers added this quarter (with no sign of the HD tax being dropped despite the 'experts' claiming otherwise on the Sky HD forum) and Sky HD boxes given away as standard

VM's marketing budget was a mere £37 million. They have less money to spend than Sky and only reach half the UK. They don't have the room to manoeuvre which Sky have and therefore, have to think more carefully about how to promote and price a premium product in a time when people are re-evaluating dropping their 'premiums', whatever they may be.

From VM's POV, a 'can't afford it? Tough shit then!' attitude will only lose them potential customers. And they won't have the marketing resources to advertise Tivo which Sky have to promote Sky HD.
  • MarkLS12MarkLS12 Posts: 1,128
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, at any cost. I mean... who needs food, really? :D
    ... will be getting it as soon as poss. regardless of cost
    I also do not care what it costs
    I hope the people deciding on the TiVo pricing structure are not reading this thread. :D
    you wil not get the features or usability anywhere ...
    Yeah whatever, most of us do not want to hand over a blank cheque to Virgin, if it is not value for money to me, I will not get it.
    Forum Member
    Yeah whatever, most of us do not want to hand over a blank cheque to Virgin, if it is not value for money to me, I will not get it.

This is the thing.

Everyone has to decide what's value for money for them, regardless of platform (unless you live outside VM's cable network, in which case......you have one less option).
    Forum Member
    I hope the people deciding on the TiVo pricing structure are not reading this thread. :D

yeah and alot of people dont want to get a free ride , you either pay what they want or you dont get it ,
    if people are concerned about the recession then maybee if its too expensive then they may have to wait for prices to come down but there are people who will pay what they ask if they want it

im not trying to offend anyone but you can either afford it when it comes out or you cant

but dont expect it to be for next to nothing
    and its not about writing a blank cheque to virgin its merley wanting a service that i want to pay for
  • weetomuncherweetomuncher Posts: 306
    Forum Member
    I hope that the TiVO boxes aren't going to be ludicrously expensive.

We have almost all the available TV channels, 20 Mb broadband and an extra receiver so we are already paying about £100pm so any significant increase would probably be a step too far as I live with my parents and they aren't as tech mad as I am.

I do want a TiVO receiver though as the additional features and storage seems to bring the box right up to date compared with the aging V+ boxes (I actually have the TV Drive model with Telewest branding even though I'm ex NTL) and it is slow and prone to crashes.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 121
    Forum Member

Who is moaning about pricing? We don't even know what it is yet! Fact is most people will want to know the price and product before committing to it. Not sure why you don't understand that?

Oh, and by product I mean real world, not a spec sheet or press release. I'm sure I would write a few lines to make cable's first Digital offering tempting, even today......doesn't mean it's quite as good in practice.

I stand by my first post, if the price and product are right then I may well get it.
  • toastinthetowntoastinthetown Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    roland rat wrote: »
    currently I pay £55 for XL tv and broad band

Now if they give me a good deal, I would take the 50mb broadband, and tivo, So I am thinking

XL TV + XXL Broadband + Tivo....For £75 tops

Is the faster BB really worth all that extra?
    I have 10Mb BB aswell as V+ and XL tv and the free weekend phone package all for £36.

The idea of paying £75 for Tivo and faster BB seems a bit extravagant.
    High speed BB demos have never impressed me .
    Last year when VM automatically changed all 2Mb customers to 10Mb I barely noticed the difference.

Do you really download enough to warrant it ?

As for Tivo.
    All I want is a larger hard drive - not that bothered about the Tivo tricks.
    But paying out for something that you never own irks me so I will likely wait until it drops in price.
    Forum Member
    you wil not get the features or usability anywhere else is sky going to give you a dedicated 10 mb in built into the stb which doesnt interfere with your standard bbi connection no

flash bashed user interface

So? Means nothing to a Tivo potential customer, many of whom aren't web developers and as such won't know or care what a 'flash bashed user interface' is.

Tell your mum that Virgin's new box is worth getting because its got a Flash interface. See what she says. In most families, if it doesn't pass the 'mum' test, it ain't getting purchased, especially in these times.
    3d games

Anyone remotely serious about playing 3D games aren't gonna cancel their Xbox 360/PS3 order and get a Tivo to play the likes of Call of Duty or Fable 3, rendered via Flash (assuming that's possible - survey says NO at a decent frame rate), while pissing off other members of the family who want to watch the football; X-Factor etc on the main TV set.
    intergrated internet on your tv

Also coming soon from YouView and Google TV, without subscription. Christ, I have that functionality right now via several FREE apps on my Sammy C650 TV. Sammy Blu-Rays players do too, along with certain A/V products from Sony.

Other A/V manufacturers have been producing TVs and Blu Ray players with internet apps/access for a good while now. I haven't even mentioned the likes of Boxee yet (http://www.boxee.tv/)
    the option to split your screen with internet and tv

YouView? Google TV? Hell, have you seen the reviews for Google TV? Lukewarm, at best, because the TV wasn't designed to browse the net on, its not an interactive device with input devices like a mouse or keyboard found on your laptop which, surprise surprise, comes with its own screen.

And most of what you suggest people can pay more for, can actually be brought for less, or for better results, when compared to a Tivo.

Its a great piece of kit, no doubt about that, but its not enough for Virgin to say 'its a premium product at a premium price, have at it folks!' and expect a critical mass of customers to pay any price they charge, especially because it has Flash and can play Flash 3D games.

Give customers a VM recommended capacity upgrade option for their existing V+ HD boxes, and I'll think you'll be surprised how many customers would seriously consider that option over paying a premium price for Tivo. Just my opinion.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 200
    Forum Member
    Yep, I will be taking Tivo once launched.