Cable/satellite and the Enforcement Officer?

Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Some day, when the whole country is cabled up, it'll be the end of the Enforcement Officer.

Think about it.

If every home received all its TV programmes by cable/satellite, it wouldn't be possible to watch live TV without a licence.

In that situation, there would be no need for Enforcement Officers, and non-TV watching households could go about their business, un-molested.

All I can say is, Roll on nationwide cabling. :cool:

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who/which company is cabling up the country? Because it certainly isn't likely to be VirginMedia.
    And what makes you think that people will turn their backs on DTT (which is free) and the whole working transmitter network in order to pay for cable services?
  • Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    And what makes you think that people will turn their backs on DTT (which is free) and the whole working transmitter network in order to pay for cable services?

What's to stop DTT being supplied (free as it is now) via cable/satellite :confused:
  • zz9zz9 Posts: 10,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even in the US, where cable is far more common, it is only really in built up and suburban areas. The cost of laying cable to people living in the countryside is just not worth it, and that covers a lot of people in the UK.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not suggesting it'll happen anytime soon, but I reckon it'll happen eventually.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Bedsit Bob wrote: »
    I'm not suggesting it'll happen anytime soon, but I reckon it'll happen eventually.

Who cares? Why does it bother you? If you don't want it then you don't have to have it......

By the way, they'd be less of a need for enforcement officers anyway, IF people informed TVL about things!

And, as has already been stated, even with Nationwide cabling (which if you really want it may have to paid for by the License fee!), what's to say you're not watching DTT anyway?
  • The-SalfordianThe-Salfordian Posts: 276
    Forum Member
    Who/which company is cabling up the country? Because it certainly isn't likely to be VirginMedia.

Certainly isn't the BBC either yet unlike VirginMedia they can force people who watch live television to fund them

DTT is free :confused: so we don't have to pay the BBC TV Licence then to watch it :rolleyes:
  • angustayangustay Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it was viable to have cable in every town it would have happend years ago and I don't think virgin are in a position now to make that happen. On the other hand people may not want give up DTT willingly but there is a very good chance by 2014 they may not have a say in it one way or another.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mikw wrote: »
    Who cares? Why does it bother you?

Because it would mean those who are LLF would no longer be pestered by TVL.
    By the way, they'd be less of a need for enforcement officers anyway, IF people informed TVL about things!

They'd still use them, because they don't believe you when you tell them you don't watch TV.
    And, as has already been stated, even with Nationwide cabling... ...

what's to say you're not watching DTT anyway?

You couldn't, because they'd turn it off (like the utility companies can), to those properties that weren't licensed.
  • mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Because it would mean those who are LLF would no longer be pestered by TVL.

What's the point :confused: They don't believe you.

And, as has already been stated, even with Nationwide cabling... ...

You couldn't, because they'd turn it off (like the utility companies can), to those properties that weren't licensed.

I know a number of people (myself included when i dealt with an issue involving my Nan) who have been open and honest about things. All sorted.

Now, i know it's not always the case, but you just arise suspicion if you play the martyr.

As Peter B once said "Who ever gets forced to pay for a license if they don't need it?" or words to that effect.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,439
    Forum Member

It certainly won't - it's FAR too expensive - why would broadcasters massively increase their costs for no gain?.

Cable, even in the cities and large towns as now, is by far the most expensive broadcasting method, for installing, running and maintaining.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's to stop DTT being supplied (free as it is now) via cable/satellite :confused:
    Er, why would it when the existing DTT network exists, works extremely well for many and has only recently been upgraded for DSO at some considerable cost?

And who is going to cable up the 50% of the country not served by VirginMedia (bearing in mind that the costs of the existing cable rollout virtually crippled NTL and Telewest)

As for satellite/cable carrying the existing DTT services, to a large extent that does happen now, however the viewer is charged for those services on cable, Freesat/freesat from Sky is free.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/CENTER]

Certainly isn't the BBC either yet unlike VirginMedia they can force people who watch live television to fund them

DTT is free :confused: so we don't have to pay the BBC TV Licence then to watch it :
    Please take your anti-BBC/anti-TVL/agenda-led comments somewhere else, and maybe then you might be able to add something constructive and on-topic to this thread.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    They are NOT Enforcement Officers !

They are employees of Capita and they have as much Legal standing as my moggy !