Rabbit advice please.

i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
Forum Member
✭✭✭
We have a rabbit and all has been well with her up to today and would like some advice please.

My wife went to find her this afternoon as normal and for some reason her back end has gone as in that her back legs are flat and she is only moving her top half.

I have tried to put her back up but she can not stand as she would do and looks like she has not had much if anything to eat.

My wife as said that her bottom looks sore so could that be a part of why she is dragging her legs like she is?

Think a trip to vet is on.

Comments

• wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You THINK a trip to vet is on? Get her there ASAP
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I had a rabbit years ago who went like that overnight after having a stroke, she was left paralysed from the waist down:(. A rabbit wouldn't really drag its legs if it had a sore bum (depending what you mean by sore) , and it would almost certainly still be able to stand, so you really need to see a vet with her pronto.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She should have gone to the vet this afternoon - ideally one that understands rabbits... not all general cat and dog vets do. Rabbits are classed as "exotics".

If you're disinclined to get her to an emergency vet now (midnight) then definitely vet first thing in the morning as an emergency. When a rabbit doesn't eat, gut stasis is on the horizon and if a rabbit gets gut problems that compounds anything else that is wrong.

For further help and support, a really good rabbit forum is...

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/

...but a forum can't replace a vet so that's your priority. Good luck.
  • DJGAVTDJGAVT Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    Take her to the vets. Worse case it could be a stroke or fly strike.

We have two house rabbits and no one should keep a rabbit alone or in a hutch. Rabbits are social animals and need company. Also they need to roam, how would you feel trapped in a hitch alone 24/7???
  • i love skyi love sky Posts: 3,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Update is that she went to the vet and she had broken her back so she was put to sleep.

The vet thinks it was to do with her banging her back legs a lot.

So sad as we had her for many years.
  • DJGAVTDJGAVT Posts: 197
    Forum Member
    They bang there back legs when they are scared or unhappy.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGAVT wrote: »

Was about to say that only time our bunnies ever banged was when foxes were in the garden, we moved them into the house over night when we realised they were scared.
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,617
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DJGAVT wrote: »
    Or very annoyed. :blush: I had to clip one of my rabbits back claws this week - which she tolerated but when I put her down again, she thumped several times and sprayed pee at me before running away.

I can only see that thumping leading to a broken back would only happen if the rabbit was in a hutch, there was a predator like a fox or dog outside, and the rabbit was utterly panicked and tried to bolt round the confined space and damaged itself in the process. In normal circumstances, a rabbit thumping the ground is something they habitually do and would not cause a broken back.

Mishandling can lead to broken bones, especially in larger breeds; trying to pick up and dropping a rabbit can cause injury because they're not agile like a cat or even a dog, or letting a rabbit climb onto something that it then tries to jump down from can also cause injuries.

I'll post this in the other rabbit thread too but these are RSPCA guidelines for providing rabbits with a happy and contented life.
  • CollieWobblesCollieWobbles Posts: 27,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am very sorry for your loss, I had to have my lovely bun put to sleep last Friday, so I know how horrible and awful it is:(.

Rabbits have very fragile backs, and can easily break them just by twisting wrong when picked up. Thumping the back feet is a signal for other rabbits that there's danger nearby, and whilst that wouldn't be enough to break their back, leaping around the confined space of a hutch in blind panic would, if they threw themselves against the wall and twisted or landed funny:(.