Options

Sky's profits increase by 20% to £1.025bn; lowest churn rate in 11 years...

i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
Forum Member
The Sky's the limit....
Pay-TV broadcaster Sky has reported a 20% rise in operating profit helped by strong demand across Europe.

Sky said operating profit for the nine months to the end of March was £1.025bn, up from £854m a year earlier.

Across the group, Sky added 242,000 net new customers in the third quarter. That was almost 70% up on the same period a year earlier.

The rise takes Sky's total number of customers across Europe to 20.8 million.

Comments

• Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They should spend more on content then but I think they won't apart from football.
  • Options
    CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think their churn rate in the UK will be a lot higher in the next quarter and the one after that, when the price increases come in.
  • Options
    richardcdonrichardcdon Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    robbing bastards
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite surprised so many people pay for Sky, given the plethora of cheaper alternatives out there....
  • Options
    EELoverEELover Posts: 1,146
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »
    I'm quite surprised so many people pay for Sky, given the plethora of cheaper alternatives out there....

I know, I'm quite happy with a combo of Netflix and iTunes for everything, works out a lot cheaper to see what I want.
  • Options
    SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    EELover wrote: »
    I know, I'm quite happy with a combo of Netflix and iTunes for everything, works out a lot cheaper to see what I want.
    If Netflix and iTunes can show top level football, cycling, cricket and F1 then sign me up.

I suspect that churn has reduced because we now accept that tv is something you pay for, and that we've got used to paying for the dross to get the sport. It's not ideal but it works as a business model.
  • Options
    wampa1wampa1 Posts: 2,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are they including Now TV in those numbers?
  • Options
    swb1964swb1964 Posts: 4,700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SnrDev wrote: »
    If Netflix and iTunes can show top level football, cycling, cricket and F1 then sign me up.

Not right now, but don't rule out a bid from them at some future point in time.....without Sky or Virgin's infrastructure costs, they could be very competitve. But this is probably something for the 2020s, rather than now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    wampa1 wrote: »

Probably as 'cannibalism' is seen as the biggest threat for Sky, that is new customers choosing Now TV over Sky subscription also existing customers switching to Now as a cheaper option.

An expert says the money SKY makes from each user has been stuck at £47 a month including phones, broadband and television. The reason it is said to have stuck is because of customers opting for NOW TV which means Sky is generating less money per user than from those old premium Sky customers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The expert says there is evidence Sky has to keep putting up its prices (twice in the past 12 months) as it pays more for content. It was said the cost of the new Premier League is still to come but Sky are limited as to how much they can increase prices without losing customers. It was predicted Sky will be cutting cuts and what it pays for other content.
  • Options
    shaun_lenchshaun_lench Posts: 171
    Forum Member
    Im disgusted in the way sky keep increasing prices. Ive just been told i will have to pay an extra £5 a month some of it towards sports which wont even start till next season and then a hike for the packs. Its a complete joke.

They set up a contract and offer you a deal so you accept then increase even though the contract is in place. How can they keep getting away with their stupid behaviour for a service which simply isn't worth it.

Also how many people are paying different prices for the same service?

When is the law going to change?
  • Options
    omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wampa1 wrote: »

Yes, Now TV is included so it's the combined total of Now + Sky subscribers.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swb1964 wrote: »

👍
    Yes, Now TV is included so it's the combined total of Now + Sky subscribers.

It would be interesting to see the figures for Sky TV only.
  • Options
    Aurora13Aurora13 Posts: 30,246
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The interesting fact is that for those subscribing to Sky the majority now view it as a necessity alongside energy etc. rather than a luxury.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Following the acquisition of the German and Italian businesses Sky has now dramatically reduced the number of KPIs it is reporting so it is now totally impossible to even attempt to analyse how the different parts of the business (in terms of products) are performing.

It has been noted above that ARPU is now just about flat but I think the main reason for this is the rise in non-TV customers (ie broadband / phone only) which obviously have massively lower ARPU. These customers represent a growing % of the total customer base so they are depressing average customer ARPU (ie TV customer ARPU may well still be rising a fair bit - and I think this is almost certainly the case).

It's also worth noting that Sky is not even reporting its TV customer numbers any more. It has been noted above that a while ago they started combining the DTH TV number with NOW TV. But from December 2014 they have completely stopped reporting the total TV number at all. So all we now have is the total customer number (ie including non-TV) (**)

So in terms of analysing how they are doing I think we are really now down to revenues and costs (and obviously the resulting profits). They are still reporting these to the same level of detail as before (and splitting them between UK, Germany and Italy) (***).

OK, we still have the numbers for total customers and products but without any breakdown of these I don't think they provide much of use. Though I think the churn numbers (still available) continue to be of interest.

Finally I guess we should note that really all businesses boil down to revenues and costs. To take just one example Tesco doesn't report customer numbers and nobody would even bother to think about that metric.

In the past the KPIs enabled us to understand in a lot of detail the individual drivers behind Sky's performance - but I'm afraid those days have now gone.

(**) In fact this quarter they reported TV customer growth but not the number of TV customers at the end of the quarter. But they will not be reporting this figure every quarter so it will no longer be possible to track the cumulative total.

(***) Note that from now on they are only producing a full Profit & loss Account at the half and full year - so there was no P&L Account in the Q3 numbers announced this week (though they did provide "headline" revenue and profit numbers; but no full breakdown of revenues and costs into their normal components).
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aurora13 wrote: »
    The interesting fact is that for those subscribing to Sky the majority now view it as a necessity alongside energy etc. rather than a luxury.

No its not, Have you seen how many channels is on Freeview these days?
  • Options
    mavreelamavreela Posts: 4,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    The expert says there is evidence Sky has to keep putting up its prices (twice in the past 12 months) as it pays more for content.

Which was a very misleading comment. It is not an extra rise but that they brought forward the usual annual change from September to June. The reason for which is no doubt that they do not want the increase to coincide with the start of the Champions League, as BT Sport will be taking over coverage of it then.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Following the acquisition of the German and Italian businesses Sky has now dramatically reduced the number of KPIs it is reporting so it is now totally impossible to even attempt to analyse how the different parts of the business (in terms of products) are performing.

It has been noted above that ARPU is now just about flat but I think the main reason for this is the rise in non-TV customers (ie broadband / phone only) which obviously have massively lower ARPU. These customers represent a growing % of the total customer base so they are depressing average customer ARPU (ie TV customer ARPU may well still be rising a fair bit - and I think this is almost certainly the case).

It's also worth noting that Sky is not even reporting its TV customer numbers any more. It has been noted above that a while ago they started combining the DTH TV number with NOW TV. But from December 2014 they have completely stopped reporting the total TV number at all. So all we now have is the total customer number (ie including non-TV) (**)

So in terms of analysing how they are doing I think we are really now down to revenues and costs (and obviously the resulting profits). They are still reporting these to the same level of detail as before (and splitting them between UK, Germany and Italy) (***).

OK, we still have the numbers for total customers and products but without any breakdown of these I don't think they provide much of use. Though I think the churn numbers (still available) continue to be of interest.

Finally I guess we should note that really all businesses boil down to revenues and costs. To take just one example Tesco doesn't report customer numbers and nobody would even bother to think about that metric.

In the past the KPIs enabled us to understand in a lot of detail the individual drivers behind Sky's performance - but I'm afraid those days have now gone.

(**) In fact this quarter they reported TV customer growth but not the number of TV customers at the end of the quarter. But they will not be reporting this figure every quarter so it will no longer be possible to track the cumulative total.

(***) Note that from now on they are only producing a full Profit & loss Account at the half and full year - so there was no P&L Account in the Q3 numbers announced this week (though they did provide "headline" revenue and profit numbers; but no full breakdown of revenues and costs into their normal components).

I think that the fact that they appear to be throwing out money off deals like confetti will also have impacted on the ARPU.

Some were (are?) offering 12 months at half price etc. These aren't only given to new customers, but to customers calling to cancel outside of contract.