Options

Nate Silver Predicts UKIP will only have 1 MP

i4ui4u Posts: 55,016
Forum Member
American data analysis Nate Silver who had predicted extremely accurately the US elections calculates UKIP will have just one MP.

283 Conservatives
270 Labour
048 SNP
024 Lib Dem
008 DUP
001 UKIP
016 Others

Comments

• Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tory-SNP Coalition?
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    Wouldn't surprise me. Individual constituency polls shows they are badly and their support is collapsing. My guess is 2, Farage will probably scrape in on personal popularity and Carswell might hold on, but that's it, they have been found out for being just angry protesters will few policies and Farages shocking debates performances didn't help
  • Options
    Forum Member
    UK statistician Chris Hanretty reckons the chances of UKIP only have a 1 in 50 chance of winning Skegness & Boston and predicts there is a 90% chance UKIP will end up with between 0-2 seats in the Commons.
  • Options
    MattXfactorMattXfactor Posts: 3,223
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think they'll win either 2 or 3, Clacton is a certainty in my opinion, South Thanet is fairly certain (Farage's campaigning there seems to be working judging by the latest polling there), I also think they have a chance in Thurrock. Other than that I struggle to see much more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd be surprised if they didn't get at least three MPs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If the Tories & Lib Dems reunite that is still 16 short of a majority even with the DUP & UKIP that's still 10 short of majority.

Labour & the SNP could jointly muster more seats 318, they'd still be 8 short of a majority unless the LibDems joined to form a triolation of 342 seats.

Would the Tories being the largest party be tempted to struggle on as a minority government with the LibDems or will the LibDems decide to swing behind Labour if they know the SNP will be included?
  • Options
    BRITLANDBRITLAND Posts: 3,443
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is Rochester and S. going back to it's days of Tory Glory then? I will assume they were not a fan of the UKIP Recklessness?
  • Options
    MeepersMeepers Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    BRITLAND wrote: »
    Is Rochester and S. going back to it's days of Tory Glory then? I will assume they were not a fan of the UKIP Recklessness?
    Almost certainly, and comfortably so
  • Options
    duckymallardduckymallard Posts: 13,936
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Tory-SNP Coalition?

Never happen. More likely Lab/SNP deal - although not full coalition.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    If the Tories & Lib Dems reunite that is still 16 short of a majority even with the DUP & UKIP that's still 10 short of majority.

Labour & the SNP could jointly muster more seats 318, they'd still be 8 short of a majority unless the LibDems joined to form a triolation of 342 seats.

Would the Tories being the largest party be tempted to struggle on as a minority government with the LibDems or will the LibDems decide to swing behind Labour if they know the SNP will be included?

If the result is the exact one that Nate predicted I struggle to see how any government could last very long coming out of them numbers, it would surely result in a 2nd election. It would be a terrible result for either party trying to form a government, mind you a swing of 10 seats on them numbers either way would be enough probably.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BRITLAND wrote: »

Yeah Reckless will be ousted.
  • Options
    R_KneeR_Knee Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    The headline is out of date. Silver's model is a dynamic one, and today the UKIP prediction is two (Clacton and Thurrock) with South Thanet still within margin of error.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amusing with a forecast of around 11% of the vote UKIP will get one or two seats while the SNP with around 4% will get close to 50.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 100
    Forum Member
    I expect them to get at least three. Their problem is that it could well be only three

Carswell is a certainty, Farage looks likely to take South Thanet and I expect them to hold on in Thurrock.

There are then a few constituencies where they are a strong second place according to the polls, and well within striking distance.

I don't expect them to get more than 5 but would be amazed if it was as low as 1.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BA Baracus wrote: »
    I expect them to get at least three. Their problem is that it could well be only three

Carswell is a certainty, Farage looks likely to take South Thanet and I expect them to hold on in Thurrock.

There are then a few constituencies where they are a strong second place according to the polls, and well within striking distance.

I don't expect them to get more than 5 but would be amazed if it was as low as 1.

I agree I think 3 is probably the most sensible prediction.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    American data analysis Nate Silver who had predicted extremely accurately the US elections calculates UKIP will have just one MP.

283 Conservatives
    270 Labour
    048 SNP
    024 Lib Dem
    008 DUP
    001 UKIP
    016 Others

The Tard's predictions:

281 Labour
    272 Conservatives
    046 SNP
    028 Lib Dem
    007 DUP
    003 UKIP
    013 Others

Can the Tard be more accurate than the American brainy guy ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yeah Reckless will be ousted.
    That's far from certain.

The Ashcroft poll had Reckless ahead before re-weighting.

Given that Ashcroft tends to be one of the polls that gives Ukip lower numbers, I think R&S is still very much in play.
  • Options
    sparkie70sparkie70 Posts: 3,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree however even if they win 3 seats that could be vital especially if the Tories remain in power. If the Tories get say 285 with lib dem 25, DUP 8-10 they still need UKIP.
  • Options
    Glawster2002Glawster2002 Posts: 15,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the likelyhood of one UKIP MP sounds about right, as the EU electioons weren't that long ago politically speaking. However if they were to get that one MP, the real test would be in five years time to retain that one MP especially if it was decided by then the UK was leaving the EU.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sparkie70 wrote: »
    I agree however even if they win 3 seats that could be vital especially if the Tories remain in power. If the Tories get say 285 with lib dem 25, DUP 8-10 they still need UKIP.

But haven't the Lib-Dems ruled out being part of any coalition involving UKIP?
  • Options
    Nick1966Nick1966 Posts: 15,742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

283 Conservatives
    270 Labour
    048 SNP
    024 Lib Dem
    008 DUP
    001 UKIP
    016 Others

I was disappointed with last night's BBC Panorama programme. It said nothing new. It was presented in a rather Noddy's Guide to Westminster style. I'm not sure why the some of the dialogue was conducted in a silver caravan.

Not only that, but the programme's forecasts were taken from Election Forecast. The Election Forecast service is provided by Chris Henratty who also provided some commentary on the programme, too. BBC Newnsnight also use Chris Henratty's Election Forecast service.

I suspect the entire Election Forecast did most of the work for this Panorama programme. Nate Silver was merely a front for the programme. Richard Bacon added nothing and was little more than a comedy foil. Having watched the programme, I feel I wasted 30 minutes of my time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But haven't the Lib-Dems ruled out being part of any coalition involving UKIP?
    I take that with a pinch of salt to be honest. It would be a massive gamble but there are plently of backbench Tory MP's that won't mind UKIP as partners.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The other difficulty with predicting Ukip seats is that I haven't seen polling for some of the Northern targets.

They came second in the Heywood and Middleton by-election by less than 700 votes and are putting a lot of effort into winning it now but I haven't seen a single poll for that constituency.

Ashcroft had them just 3% behind Labour in Dudley North back in December but that figure hasn't been updated.

Have they strengthened there or have they gone the way of Great Grimsby and seemingly collapsed?
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

He's clearly never heard of Ashcroft's polling site.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The other difficulty with predicting Ukip seats is that I haven't seen polling for some of the Northern targets.

They came second in the Heywood and Middleton by-election by less than 700 votes and are putting a lot of effort into winning it now but I haven't seen a single poll for that constituency.

Ashcroft had them just 3% behind Labour in Dudley North back in December but that figure hasn't been updated.

Have they strengthened there or have they gone the way of Great Grimsby and seemingly collapsed?
    I don't know what's happening in Grimsby but UKIP need to take Tory votes like most of the north. If there is a massive shock I say Grimsby be the one. However I feel the southeast coast is there strongest chance.