Options

Gerrard this, Gerrard that.

SegaGamerSegaGamer Posts: 29,074
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The press, Sky, Talksport, all they are doing is talking about Gerrard. Yeah he's been a great player for Liverpool, but so what ? I have never seen so much fuss being made over a player that leaving their club. Gary Neville, Giggs, Scholes, all 3 of these never received anything near the amount of coverage Gerrard is getting and they made a bigger impact on the Premier League than Gerrard has ever done.

There is another player who is leaving the Premier League at the end of the season and has actually had a better career and actually won a lot more than Gerrard and that person is Frank Lampard. I haven't read anything about him in the papers or heard his name mentioned once on Sky or Talksport.

Saint Stevie-Me is just another player who is leaving his club, the day he leaves will actually be great, maybe we can finally move on from all of this over the top praise and ass kissing.

Comments

• Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SegaGamer wrote: »
    The press, Sky, Talksport, all they are doing is talking about Gerrard. Yeah he's been a great player for Liverpool, but so what ? I have never seen so much fuss being made over a player that leaving their club. Gary Neville, Giggs, Scholes, all 3 of these never received anything near the amount of coverage Gerrard is getting and they made a bigger impact on the Premier League than Gerrard has ever done.

There is another player who is leaving the Premier League at the end of the season and has actually had a better career and actually won a lot more than Gerrard and that person is Frank Lampard. I haven't read anything about him in the papers or heard his name mentioned once on Sky or Talksport.

Saint Stevie-Me is just another player who is leaving his club, the day he leaves will actually be great, maybe we can finally move on from all of this over the top praise and ass kissing.

Gerrard hasn't always been surrounded by the quality that United and Chelsea possessed when the other players you mention were winning their medals year-in, year-out - and the trophies Liverpool did win more often than not had been massively influenced by Gerrard.

Sometimes, you've got to look beyond the team and see the man.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TheSloth wrote: »
    Gerrard hasn't always been surrounded by the quality that United and Chelsea possessed when the other players you mention were winning their medals year-in, year-out - and the trophies Liverpool did win more often than not had been massively influenced by Gerrard.

Sometimes, you've got to look beyond the team and see the man.

Yeah, nearly 10 years ago. And he isn't the only one who has massively influenced the result of cup finals. Drogba was doing that year after year for Chelsea.

The praise is over the top. He's just another footballer, and not even one of the best of his position.
  • Options
    SJ_MentalSJ_Mental Posts: 16,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We had the Lampard arse kissing last season. .

Other than that suck it up, not everything is about the team you support.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    delete
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How I will laugh if he gets sent off after 38 seconds again.

I wonder if the ref would have the bottle to send him off if he committed a red card offence?
  • Options
    TheSlothTheSloth Posts: 18,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, nearly 10 years ago. And he isn't the only one who has massively influenced the result of cup finals. Drogba was doing that year after year for Chelsea.

The praise is over the top. He's just another footballer, and not even one of the best of his position.

You are making yourself look very, very small.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SJ_Mental wrote: »
    We had the Lampard arse kissing last season. .

Other than that suck it up, not everything is about the team you support.

Do you even read ? You can clearly see i mentioned Giggs, Scholes and Neville. All of them played for a team i don't support.
    TheSloth wrote: »
    You are making yourself look very, very small.

No, just pointing out that the media are a bunch of ass kissers. They always make Gerrard out to be so great when he really isn't. There was even excuses for his red card against United.

It's pathetic how they treat him like some sort of god of football.
  • Options
    codebluecodeblue Posts: 14,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The media has gone overboard.

It's the last time Gerard will ever (insert mundane dross here)......

This long goodbye has been so drawn out I really couldn't care less about it now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you even read ? You can clearly see i mentioned Giggs, Scholes and Neville. All of them played for a team i don't support.

I am sorry I wanted to post gr8 b8 m8 r8 8/8 but realised it was just a hate thread thus

Gr8 h8 m8 r8 8/8
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you don't want to hear people going on about Gerrard, I probably wouldn't add to the list of threads about him.
  • Options
    DandemDandem Posts: 13,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread lost credibility the moment you mentioned that "he's not even one of the best in his position".

Moving swiftly on...
  • Options
    Jim De VilleJim De Ville Posts: 16,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why does anybody care?

As has been said, if you're not interested, don't visit places where you're going to see it.

Gerrard has been a sensational player, as was Lampard, Scholes, Neville, etc..

Struggling to understand why people have a problem with this, to be honest.
  • Options
    TheMunchTheMunch Posts: 9,024
    Forum Member
    The media CAN be annoying when they have something to stick with. They love their stories, and making the FA Cup the Gerrard Cup was annoying for me and I'd like to think other Liverpool fans.

But that shouldn't and doesn't diminish Gerrard himself, nor does it mean the praise is unjustified. Neville, Scholes, Giggs, Lampard are rightly regarded as the great players that they were, or still are, in Lampard's case. They aren't overshadowed by Gerrard. In fact whenever Gerrard is mentioned you always get some idiots mentioning someone (usually Giggs, or any crappy player with a single league medal) as a way to mock Gerrard's lack of Premier League titles. He's a bit of a media favourite but I wouldn't say he's overrated. He's rightly highly regarded by fans, including rival fans, and other professionals in the game.

Gerrard might go to sleep at night, crying into his Champions League trophy over his missing Premier League winners medal, but equally Jose Mourinho goes to bed crying over never having been able to manage Steven Gerrard.
  • Options
    Jimmy_McNultyJimmy_McNulty Posts: 11,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's actually been pro-Gerrard and anti-Liverpool, and fans were predicting it as soon as Gerrard announced he was leaving.

The press/media have bigged him up to a level where you would think he was undroppable, never mind expendable. Every 10 yard pass, every run, every shot on goal, eulogised like God himself was doing it. The fans saw it coming and the media have been made to look very silly.

As for TalkShite, they were seriously talking about Kane to Utd today. Give me a break! They should have been discussing Tuilagi beating up a cop and getting a £5k fine!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dandem wrote: »
    This thread lost credibility the moment you mentioned that "he's not even one of the best in his position".

Moving swiftly on...

Well he isn't. He's a very good player but there have been tons better plenty of better players over the years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's actually been pro-Gerrard and anti-Liverpool, and fans were predicting it as soon as Gerrard announced he was leaving.

The press/media have bigged him up to a level where you would think he was undroppable, never mind expendable. Every 10 yard pass, every run, every shot on goal, eulogised like God himself was doing it. The fans saw it coming and the media have been made to look very silly.

As for TalkShite, they were seriously talking about Kane to Utd today. Give me a break! They should have been discussing Tuilagi beating up a cop and getting a £5k fine!

This is the kind of thing that bugs me. He get's praised for everything. I have seen him have some bang average games but he manages to somehow get massive praise for hitting one long range pass.

The media are that obsessed with him that they even make articles about Gerrard's Liverpool career in sticker's.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32739180
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The reaction from the press has been OTT as expected, but let's not let that get in the way of recognising what a quality player he's been. Although he's had the odd exceptional team mate to take the heat off, by and large he's been Liverpool's main man for the last 15 years or so.

Although if you think this week has been irritating, just think how bad it would have been if Liverpool were in the FA Cup Final (it's on his birthday you know...), or God forbid, they'd won the league last year.
  • Options
    lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The media may have gone overboard. But there can surely be no doubt that Gerrard was and is a great player!!
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SegaGamer I expected this from you, he clearly is one of the best English players we have had as was Scholes.

It's just hate or what ever it is that blinds you but you won't admit it.
  • Options
    GoodwinGoodwin Posts: 6,576
    Forum Member
    Jamesp84 wrote: »

Although if you think this week has been irritating, just think how bad it would have been if Liverpool were in the FA Cup Final (it's on his birthday you know...), or God forbid, they'd won the league last year.

^This^......Thank you Aston Villa :D
  • Options
    St. AnthonySt. Anthony Posts: 1,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He's the Billy Bonds of the 21st century
  • Options
    posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The media was always going to make a bit of a fuss as he's been something of a talisman for Liverpool, saving us from defeat in vital games time and again. You can argue that there have been better players but it's hard to think of a more influential one.

But I think the main reason it might seem a bit OTT at the moment is because they just don't have much else to write about. The title was tied up ages ago, Champions League spots are sorted and there are only so many relegation articles you can write when two of the places are sorted. The journos are just filling their column inches, simple as that.
  • Options
    Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poll going down on Sky Sports News today the best Centre Mid in the PL ever, Scholes winning it Gerrard second so far I was expecting that result to be fair :)

Yaya Toure with no votes he should not have been picked he hasn't done enough for a long period of time, Keane and Vieira getting some votes too.
  • Options
    ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Scholes seems to get better every year since he retired. Maybe the same will happen for Stevie.
  • Options
    RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't really bother me. To be fair, Gerrard has been pretty low-key about the whole thing. He's probably obliged to do the interviews, but he doesn't appear comfortable with all the fuss. The media are just the being the media, over-the-top about everything.
    A few days ago it was Kevin Pietersen, now that appears to be forgotten. Next week it will be something different.