Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tremse wrote: »
    Huh? :confused:

That's what I thought!
  • ClientFanClientFan Posts: 3,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What is the most disturbing moment you have ever seen in a film?

Personally to find a film scene 'disturbing', it has to grip me psychologically. Recently I watched Ken Russell's The Devils yet again, and I am still disturbed by the scene in which Vanessa Redgrave's Sister Jeanne character is given an enema as the climax to her first public 'exorcism'.

The shots of the men's leering faces as they hold her legs apart, bearing down between them with the giant syringe, intercut with close-ups of her very real looking-and-sounding anguish, make it an extremely uncomfortable experience. Without wishing to cause offence to any real-life victims, I imagine it comes pretty close to what a gang-rape can look and feel like.

I think it's so cleverly done as it's the climax to a scene that starts out fairly quietly and goes on for quite a while drawing you in, then all this hell breaks loose. In amongst all this there's also a lot of absurdist and incongruous comedy going on, heightening the disturbing tone of hysteria.

I find it pretty amazing that scenes like this (and many others throughout the film) were filmed as long ago as 1970, and wonder how much of a smack in the face they must have been to cinema audiences at the time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Recently, it was the nasty brutal racial beating near the end of This is England, made me wince.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most disturbing bit in a film EVER has to be the bit in Marathon Man with the dentist drill. Most disturbing thing about it is that the camera pans away so you don't see anything. So you're left hearing Dustin Hoffan screaming and your imagination going APE!!!!!

It's a pretty creepy set up before that bit too with Laurence Olivier repeating 'Is it safe?' Gives me the heeby jeebies.
  • mistygalmistygal Posts: 8,316
    Forum Member
    A certain rape scene in Irreversible is pretty DARN disturbing.

same here ...Poor lovely Monica Bellucci...

Ive never seen this film, but keep hearing about it, everytime a disturbing scene is mentioned.
  • dollylovesshoesdollylovesshoes Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ClientFan wrote: »
    Personally to find a film scene 'disturbing', it has to grip me psychologically. Recently I watched Ken Russell's The Devils yet again, and I am still disturbed by the scene in which Vanessa Redgrave's Sister Jeanne character is given an enema as the climax to her first public 'exorcism'.

The shots of the men's leering faces as they hold her legs apart, bearing down between them with the giant syringe, intercut with close-ups of her very real looking-and-sounding anguish, make it an extremely uncomfortable experience. Without wishing to cause offence to any real-life victims, I imagine it comes pretty close to what a gang-rape can look and feel like.

I think it's so cleverly done as it's the climax to a scene that starts out fairly quietly and goes on for quite a while drawing you in, then all this hell breaks loose. In amongst all this there's also a lot of absurdist and incongruous comedy going on, heightening the disturbing tone of hysteria.

I find it pretty amazing that scenes like this (and many others throughout the film) were filmed as long ago as 1970, and wonder how much of a smack in the face they must have been to cinema audiences at the time.

I did see that film when it first came out......I felt really sick........it was very,very brutal!!!
  • jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    Some good picks and personally if we're going to say what movies nearly make us throw up I'd go for any of those Italian cannibal/zombie movies of the late 70's.Saw one on Zone Horror on Halloween and actually felt sick and I've got a strong stomach.

What disturbs me is not so much the graphic nature of the scene itself but what is implied like the idea of a film,The Omen especially.
  • rayofsunshinerayofsunshine Posts: 5,310
    Forum Member
    I agree, psycological thrillers when they play with your mind are so much worse than graphic thrillers in my opinion
  • Martin BlankMartin Blank Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most disturbing bit in a film EVER has to be the bit in Marathon Man with the dentist drill. Most disturbing thing about it is that the camera pans away so you don't see anything. So you're left hearing Dustin Hoffan screaming and your imagination going APE!!!!!

It's a pretty creepy set up before that bit too with Laurence Olivier repeating 'Is it safe?' Gives me the heeby jeebies.

How could i forget "Is it safe?" - It does stay with you...

And to the person asking about Irreversible, many do go on about how disturbing that scene is purely because it is SO disturbing.
  • YorkshireKatYorkshireKat Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Most the scenes in Wolf Creek! :eek: Nassssssty.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,297
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    one of the final destination filma where several very nasty deaths take place including one with a nail gun through the head.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    fatal attraction when you thinks shes dead in the bath & she suddenly sits up - scared me senseless in the cinema!!
  • Jamandell (d69)Jamandell (d69) Posts: 3,041
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jabegy wrote: »
    I found the sceen in The Green Mile where Edward Delacroix is electrocuted to be very disturbing. Percy Whetmore had purposely not put the wet sponge on his head to aid the electrical current ! and that image stayed with me for a long time. Other than that ! the film was brilliant.

Same here, that disturbed me and left me with nightmares for months :(
  • PJ68PJ68 Posts: 3,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember a few years ago i watched a film on film 4 extreme, some jap film (the name has escaped me at the moment) anyways the sex scene was pretty graphic including the bit where the girl cuts off the guys penis and eats it, not as bad as the one where all the girl slaves are fored to eat human poo.

baise moi, the rape scene in that was pretty much disturbing

ai no corrida

and

salo

salo actually makes me want to vomit

also 'the men behind the sun' - you can find really vile bits of it on youtube
  • cussywoocussywoo Posts: 1,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just attempted to watch the tooth drilling scene on youtube... me being me was unable to watch the whole clip so switched it off aha

just the noise of the drill made me shudder... the thought of the drill going in and that cold feeling you get.... EGH!!!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member

I just watched the Korean film Oldboy and there's a scene worse than that. Basically he has the guy taped to chair and pulls out his teeth with a claw hammer. Again, you can't see very much apart from the teeth dropping on to the floor, but I was literally squirming in my seat with a cushion in front of my face.

Even worse (and what I arrived in this thread for in the first place) was earlier in the film when the main character ate a live octopus. No special effects, no CGI, it was actually alive. The actor picked it up, stuffed it head first into his mouth and started chewing while the tentacles slithered all over his face. Truly horrendous.
  • thecreepingmessthecreepingmess Posts: 3,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    toasties wrote: »
    the scene in the club is pretty shocking too.

It manages to be effective even with some Fleetwood Mac dubbed over it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFapTxW_088
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember when I was about 12 I was channel hopping on tv and I clicked onto channel 4 and saw the head explosion in scanners. That freaked me out at the time.

In the here and now, I dunno. A lot of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and bits in other David Lynch movies unnerved me, but I don't know if a film has truely ever disturbed me as an adult. Guess I'm old and cynical.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Somebody mentioned the execution of Del in The Green Mile- I agree with that. Also, the rape of Deborah in Once Upon a Time In America is just a horrible scene.
  • widgerwidger Posts: 722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's a few from me:

Most of Blue Velvet especially the bit with Dennis Hopper and Dean Stockwell when he is miming to "In Dreams" by Roy Orbison.

The rape scene in Deliverence

The scene in Goodfellas where Billy Bats is beaten and kicked by Pesci and De Niro. Something about De Niro's face as he is kicking and stomping Bat's head in that makes me freak.

Almost all of Breaking the Waves.

In Full Metal Jacket when "Pyle" finally loses it and blows his own brains out.

Interestingly though, they do become less disturbing after you watch it a few times. Does this mean I have become desensitized and is this a good or a bad thing?
  • rayofsunshinerayofsunshine Posts: 5,310
    Forum Member
    ^^ I would guess it'sbecause you can mentally prepare yourself for what's happening so there is not as much shock which was mixed with horror and disturb...

Get what i mean?
  • alisonrose3764alisonrose3764 Posts: 1,493
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This type of thread comes up now and again on here and last year I made a really effort to broaden my movie knowledge and ordered via Amazon rental several films that were mentioned on the previous thread - and some really shocked me................

Many have mentioned Irreversable without doubt the most graphic rape scene I have had to watch it was bloody awful - very upsetting indeed

And Funny Games - well that film stayed with me for months - still freaks me out to think about it - if you have not seen it and like a good mind game movie then this is worth the effort!

This year I have decided to stick to nice girlie movies - I can't cope with the horrid side of life!
  • isabelle304isabelle304 Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    I can't stand seeing vomiting shown on screen so I found the following quite disturbing-

In Rules of Attraction, the scene where Shannyn Sossamon wakes up from a drunken daze at a party to find that some guy is having sex with her (while his mate is filming the whole thing). Drunken guy then proceeds to throw up all over her back and neck and face. To make matters worse the scene is then reversed to show the jet of vomit going back into the guy's mouth :eek::eek::eek: To this day I have not been able to watch the ending of that film as that scene grossed me out so much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,401
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    widger wrote: »
    Here's a few from me:

Most of Blue Velvet especially the bit with Dennis Hopper and Dean Stockwell when he is miming to "In Dreams" by Roy Orbison.

The rape scene in Deliverence

The scene in Goodfellas where Billy Bats is beaten and kicked by Pesci and De Niro. Something about De Niro's face as he is kicking and stomping Bat's head in that makes me freak.

Almost all of Breaking the Waves.

In Full Metal Jacket when "Pyle" finally loses it and blows his own brains out.

Interestingly though, they do become less disturbing after you watch it a few times. Does this mean I have become desensitized and is this a good or a bad thing?

That bit in Goodfellas is pretty bad, but the song playing in the background during it is FAB!!!

And Full Metal Jacket is my fave war movie ever - there are lots of disturbing bits in it. Much better than most of the macho crap you usually get in war movies. FMJ doesn't really have any heroes...even Joker is an anti-hero.
  • pammi_ipammi_i Posts: 6,851
    Forum Member
    Recently, it was the nasty brutal racial beating near the end of This is England, made me wince.

What disturbs me most about this sort of thing is the spate of these films such as "This is England" and "England Expects" use the word England almost to be synonymous with racism, when the truth of the matter is that England is one of the more tolerant of the minor countries of the British Isles, and possibly of a great many countries.