Nice and not very nice celebrities who you have met

Comments

• marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My husband was on a golfing holiday in Marbella and went to a club in Puerto Banus. Terry Wogan was in there surrounded by hangers-on and hoards of young girls were flocking around them. H said that Terry was an arrogant knob, nothing like his friendly TV and radio persona.
  • dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    :p

Thought of another one to be put in the "nice" category, Lee Hurst. Lovely fella. (Although to be fair, I did rescue him from a, shall we say, over-enthusiastic young lady from East London, possibly Essex, so obviously he was going to be nice to me, haha!)

Lee Hurst always comes across as genuine and a lovely bloke so am chuffed to see him in the 'nice' category! :)
  • 80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mariets wrote: »
    My husband was on a golfing holiday in Marbella and went to a club in Puerto Banus. Terry Wogan was in there surrounded by hangers-on and hoards of young girls were flocking around them. H said that Terry was an arrogant knob, nothing like his friendly TV and radio persona.

Anyone who can stand on TV telling ordinary working people to 'give til they drop' while pocketing thousands of pounds for a few hours 'charity' work is clearly not a nice person :mad:

Anyone else got anything on Wig-on?
  • Terry WigonTerry Wigon Posts: 6,831
    Forum Member
    80sfan wrote: »
    Anyone who can stand on TV telling ordinary working people to 'give til they drop' while pocketing thousands of pounds for a few hours 'charity' work is clearly not a nice person :mad:

Only my username! :eek::D

People/celebrities are rarely as they appear in the media. You don't get to the top and stay at the top in that profession for decades without stepping on and breaking a few heads to get there!
  • Tulip19Tulip19 Posts: 3,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only my username! :eek::D

People/celebrities are rarely as they appear in the media. You don't get to the top and stay at the top in that profession for decades without stepping on and breaking a few heads to get there!

Tv and radio presenters and the z listers fall most often into this category, it seems.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im not sure he can be classed as a celebrity (more someone in the public eye) but I had the chance to meet Grant Holt, our lovable, chubby Norwich hero, before a match a while back...anyone who says that all footballers are shallow, vain, money obsessed chancers should meet Holty. He was funny, engaging, self-depriciating, down-to-earth and had time for everyone who he met...he gave my friend and me his autograph, a cuddle and a photo and spent ages with us all making sure everyone was happy before finally running off to get changed. He is pretty much Mr Norwich City for us fans but it hasnt affected him at all...you can tell he hasnt changed at all from when he was a tirefitting non-leaguer and probably never will :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,076
    Forum Member
    Met Steven and Alex Gerrard a few months back. He's a top bloke and quite funny, Alex is quite shy but lovely all the same. Very down to earth people.

Liam Neeson is a really nice guy, he stood for ages having pictures taken with everyone who turned up at a charity golf tournament in my hometown.

Literally walked into Gok Wan in the doorway of Belfast City Airport back in March. It was incredibly early so I think I may have been half awake and until he spoke I didn't realise who he was. He was a sweetheart though and even though I'd quite clearly walked into him he was the one apologising. He also complimented my coat!

Not so nice Denise Van Outen, she was in a shop my friend works in and she was an absoulte cow to the sales assistants. Acted as if she was above even speaking to them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    Oh....ones I forgot the other day...

Simon King (Spingwatch, Big Cat Diary) So so lovely! Really friendly and chatty, with an obvious passion for his job and wildlife in general. This was at the Outdoor Show at the NEC a few years back. I also made Kate Humble laugh a lot when I mentioned (when she was looking at some kayaks...so was my husband) to my husband that I would need 2 strapped together to fit my fat arse! She actually laughed so much she choked on her drink...I didnt realise it was her till hubby pointed it out!

Brett Anderson from Suede - a dream. Really friendly. Stood outside the Brixton Academy signed autographs for ages....this was before a gig in 1993. Said that he hoped we all enjoyed the show...and he asked where I had got my "cool" jacket from....erm..me dad?

Brian Harvey - Ex East 17 - Really shy! Was nice enough....offered me a ciggie...had to say I didnt smoke...but kept the packet for a laugh!

I used to follow pop groups around years ago....1992 to 1993 mainly....met most of the now defunct "boy bands"..like Bad Boys Inc and Worlds Apart. I think I met Worlds Apart so many times (27 plus!) that they knew me and asked friends where I was if I wasnt at a gig or a signing etc....received a lovely long letter from Dan Bowyer when he left the band (probably because we are both big Red Dwarf fans) and little messages from Steve from time to time but by 1995 they were big in France and I was more into club dance music. My dutch friends still loved them but I just couldnt be bothered anymore... Must say that I was shocked to see how popular the band got on the continent.....read somewhere that at one record signing there where more people there than there had been for Michael Jackson!!!!! WTF????? Strange!

My mum met Phil Jupitus in Lakeside in Essex...said that he looked a right idiot because he had real dark glasses on indoors and was desperate NOT to be recognised....and when folks asked "Are you PJ?" he ignored them.....plonker. Shes also met Mike from Bucks Fizz and served him at the till in Boots. She said he was really nice...shes also met Brian Conley, who she was totally in love with. She said he was just so lovely....stood and chatted to my mum and dad for ages, and my mum had a photo taken of her sitting on Brians lap. This was back in about 1987...but she did say that she would love to meet him again...only to see if he is still as affable as he was then

Oh...she also met Tommy Steele when she was a teenager and said he was a right tool...really arrogant and shouted at people for standing near his car (when there was NO WHERE else to stand) Plus she said he had teeth that open beer bottles.

My dad was given a lift home by the Everly Brothers....this was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back...in the late 1950's and this was when my dad still lived in London. He said that they were polite, charming and really generous....and so kind....he was just embarrassed that my nan didnt recognise them!

Have to speak to my family again to see what else they can say...tee hee!
  • penelopesimpsonpenelopesimpson Posts: 14,907
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Okay, stand by your beds. Jeffery Archer who was funny, charming, professional and so easy to work with
    The late Tony Scott - quiet and introverted
    Princess Margaret - tiny, weird and unsteady on her feet
    Duke of Kent - fabulous, non pompous and totally lovely
    Prince Edward - also hilarious. I was standing next to him when a mouse ran across the floor and he tried to catch it
    Princess Anne - horrid and determinedly Royal
    Michael Kitchen - lives nearby and is a top bloke
    Sheila Hancock - Hmm. Me, me, me.
  • Mo from t'marketMo from t'market Posts: 558
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    i'm a fan of marti's voice however he always gave off a bad vibe to me I wonder if the other band members are still on good terms with him has anyone ever met erasure or sam fox i'm a fan of both.

My best friend is a huge Erasure fan and has met Andy and Vince several times. She says they are absolutely lovely, chatty and down to earth. She also met Alison Moyet when Yazoo reformed a couple of years ago and said she was great fun too.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Okay, stand by your beds. Jeffery Archer who was funny, charming, professional and so easy to work with
    The late Tony Scott - quiet and introverted
    Princess Margaret - tiny, weird and unsteady on her feet
    Duke of Kent - fabulous, non pompous and totally lovely
    Prince Edward - also hilarious. I was standing next to him when a mouse ran across the floor and he tried to catch it
    Princess Anne - horrid and determinedly Royal
    Michael Kitchen - lives nearby and is a top bloke
    Sheila Hancock - Hmm. Me, me, me.

Thats quite a list, Princess Margaret was probably stoned.
    I met Price Michael while I was driving and he was on foot waiting for the green man at the traffic lights. The lights changed I braked and went 3-4 inches over the line.
    My window was open and so he took the opportunity to give me the sort of look you give to a serf and call me an oaf and then walk on.
    Piece of sh** I was going to call him but as he was from better breeding stock I settled for lump of excrement loud as I could through the other open window .... I know he heard it but didn't turn around.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    johartuk wrote: »
    Most celebs will, if possible, try to sign a few autographs at the Stage Door, but there is no contractual obligation for them to stand there for several hours signing autographs for everyone, nor is a meeting/autograph included in the price of your ticket for the event. All your ticket entitles you to is entry to the venue and a seat (or place in the standing area).

This is where you are wrong. It's pivotal that celebs treat their fans well. I can name you loads of celebs back in the 80's and 90's that used to not want to interact with their fans (which is something all celebs reserve the right to do), that have now bowed to pressure to do so.

However in the wake of social media and even online forums such as these if you're not willing to sign a few pieces of paper you are vilified. if so and so doesn't want to sign autographs during a show guess what happens to ticket sales of the next show. A reputation is hard to build but easy to knock down.

At the end of the day taking photos is an easy (not to mention free) celeb way of saying thanks which in the future reaps huge rewards. just ask lady gaga. Whenever the shit hits the fan her monsters are the first to leap to her defence. she could've been the lady that put the cat in the bin and i'm telling you she would have gotten off scot free with the defence team that are her fans.
    Forum Member
    Misty08 wrote: »
    You decide to wait in the rain- no one has told you to do it. So, if you go to a show at Wembley Stadium you think you and everyone else there is entitled to an autograph afterwards?

This i find silly because it does actually happen. go to any football game, as long as you are willing to wait anything up to 3 hrs the players come out on their way home, and as they do so sign things. And because not many people are willing to do so they only have to 30 ppl to greet, and are happy to do so. My brother did this when he was 10 in winter and ashley cole said he was bonkers for doing so and because of EMPATHY (a part of the brain that seems to be removed to accommodate most celebrity egos) even offered to take a photo.

With a stage show - its the same principle. Theatre shows mostly hold up to 250 so by the end of the night you are looking at around 30 die hard fans who were willing to make the effort. As i keep saying its all about the fans.

Miss Kardashian and her family know this well which is why she is able to carry on her charade of fame. People who have met her say she is sweet which results in more fans. More fans more positive reviews. More positive reviews more suckers to buy your things.
    Forum Member
    Sorry for posting loads i don't know how to multi quote yet. :cry:

Don't worry my rant ends here!
    All i'm saying is that celebrities who do a show or are actually within their work element shouldn't see signing a few things or taking a few photos as a burden or a hassle, just an extension of said work. I'm pretty sure that if they only got asked to do so in their work setting and not during their personal lives they would be more willing.

And thats my argument. If all celebs said i separate my work life and personal life and say i don't sign autographs when i'm not working, and signed loads when they were, they would be not only thanking the real fans (i.e. the ones that are part of their income) they would be making an investment and those fans would via word of mouth (social media) spread good about said celeb which would have a know on domino effect.

I've never cared much for cilla black (not my era) but from what i have heard from this forum my wallet and i will be staying well clear.
  • DimsieDimsie Posts: 2,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I wouldn't call it 'met' exactly, but Alex Higgins once nearly put my eye out with a snooker cue at Belfast Airport. Don't ask me why he'd taken it out of its case, maybe checking it hadn't got damaged on the flight or something, but there he was, not paying the slightest attention to anyone near enough to get poked with the dratted thing. He looked very thin and pale, I'm not sure if this was before or after it was announced he had cancer. :(
  • Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sir Roger Moore - top friendly bloke with very funny anecdotes.

Cilla Black - rude and vile, had the displeasure of the scouse scumbag in 1st class recently and she repeatedly moaned, death cannot come quick enough where she is concerned.

Ed Milliband was a recent customer as well, very arrogant and sleazy, kept fiddling with his gonads.
  • vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,334
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Cilla Black - rude and vile, had the displeasure of the scouse scumbag in 1st class recently and she repeatedly moaned, death cannot come quick enough where she is concerned.

Ed Milliband was a recent customer as well, very arrogant and sleazy, kept fiddling with his gonads.

Cilla Black is a regular feature of this thread... and never in a positive way
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Ed Balls!!:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Wynne EvansWynne Evans Posts: 1,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boddism wrote: »
    Ed Balls!!:D:D:D:D:D:D

As it happens he was there also. :D

Met the Bercows a few weeks back, the thing Sally is the ugliest speakers wife in history, her face made me boak, the speaker was rude and demanding and needs to realise that pissing of the people serving him coffee is never a good idea.;)

I see quite a few lying corrupt scumbags/mp's on the trains these days.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,195
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is so so good! Some of the celebs that have been nasty have been a real shock....they are definately NOT how they are on the tv.

I have met a few folks They are:

Take That - Really nice. This was when they were first out. Mark, Jason and Gary were sweethearts....Howard was very shy and hardly spoke...Robbie was a bit up himself but a load of other folk said the same thing about him at the time!

Andrea Boardman - Lovely...even made me and my two friends a cup of tea!

Phillip Schofield - Nice bloke!

Dawn French - Didnt want to be recognised. This was only a few weeks ago on a First great Western train. She sat with her new man. Shes much shorter in real life!

Jenny Agutter - Spoke to her on a train from London to Penzance. Was really nice and chatty

Daniella Westbrook - Total A hole. Tried to chat up a friends boyfriend in front of me. When I told her to stay away she said the classic "Do you know who you are speaking to?" so I replied that yes I DID know "A stupid blonde tart"...she flounced off with her entourage.

Worst one was Marti Pellow. Now, I had been a fan for 16 years when my husband and I went to see him in Chicago (musical) Outside the stage door a girl had been waiting there for ages to get a load of records signed and as the stars came out she politely asked Marti to sign a record for her....and he just pushed her out of the way. I was so shocked as I thought (by interviews on TV) that he was going to be really nice but after doing that (and the people in the pub opposite the stage door booing him) I was really disappointed. The girl was very upset and he was laughing with his friend so I said "Hello Marti"...and he looked at me like something he stepped in, shook off my handshake and strolled past other folks waiting for him. Sorry to say, he was a LOT shorter in real life and looked old and ugly. My 16 year devotion ended right there! Sorry to say I was so angry that yes, I did call him a "t****r" and said that he should be grateful for us people wanting his autograph because he couldnt sing anymore...cue big cheer from the pub opposite...his attitude stank..I could understand it if this girl had demanded he signed or if he had said that he was in a hurry....bad!

Theres a few more but these are going back yeeeeeears!

It's a shame to hear this about Mart Pellow. I once waited for someone else at the stage door of Chicago and I saw him sign and pose for photos with fans, looking very happy to do so.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    80sfan wrote: »

In fairness to Terry Wogan, he gets paid a nominal amount for doing CIN because it's against the Equity (actors/TV performers' union) rules for people who work in the industry to do TV broadcasts without being paid.
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    It's a shame to hear this about Mart Pellow. I once waited for someone else at the stage door of Chicago and I saw him sign and pose for photos with fans, looking very happy to do so.

I know...after seeing him on the tv, I thought that he would be so nice...dont know if we had caught him on a bad day but he was just so rude and obnoxious....nothing to what I was expecting. i think it was the fact that he literally PUSHED this girl out of his way that really shocked me....I called a friend who I knew used to be a HUGE fan of Marti and told her about my experience and she replied that she had gone off of him aaaaaaages ago because she had also met him and he was off his face on something and could barely string a sentence together....she was brokenhearted.
    Sometimes its great when you meet your idol....I always liked Simon King and Springwatch so was delighted when he turned out to be as affable and charming in person as he was on tv....but when that "star" shatters that ideal that you have of them its quite hard to forgive and say "Oh...maybe they just had a bad day"....you end up questioning the reason why you liked them so much in the first place and start to look for "clues" in interviews etc to confirm that yes...they ARE horrible....must say that I dont think I would like to meet Marti again....it was my own fault for sticking him on a pedestal for 16 years and ignoring folk who HAD met him and had horror stories...ah well...ya live and learn!
  • katmobilekatmobile Posts: 10,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh...she also met Tommy Steele when she was a teenager and said he was a right tool...really arrogant and shouted at people for standing near his car (when there was NO WHERE else to stand) Plus she said he had teeth that open beer bottles.

That doesn't surprise me. A mate of mine works in theatre he has hold he heard amongst the theatre workers grapevine that Steele alienated the stage crew so much on the production of "Singing in the Rain" he was starring in that the rain tank had to be locked to stop them deliberately peeing in it. Michaela Stratchan on the other hand was adopted as everyone's little sister and the crew wouldn't tolerate a bad word being said about her.

Most of my celeb knowledge is second hand and from my friend but Tori Amos played our student hall bar just after her first hit single (they got very lucky in signing her to do so just before she came famous) and she happily signed autographs for ages afterwards.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,881
    Forum Member
    Had a few celeb encounters with work. Most tend to be absolutely lovely, only ever had a bad experience with a couple of them. Rhys Ifans held the door open for me at the National. Said thank you and then realised it was Rhys Ifans. Met Derren Brown on my 18th birthday and he was absolutely lovely. Met Rob Lowe a couple years ago and he was also very nice. Most recent encounter was when I met Benedict Cumberbatch in Cheltenham. Absolute delight, and we had a long chat about poetry as he was doing a poetry reading there. His parents are also a delight.

The most difficult encounter I had was with Will Self. Pretentious and simply arrogant.
    Forum Member
    katmobile wrote: »
    That doesn't surprise me. A mate of mine works in theatre he has hold he heard amongst the theatre workers grapevine that Steele alienated the stage crew so much on the production of "Singing in the Rain" he was starring in that the rain tank had to be locked to stop them deliberately peeing in it.

Got to tell my mum about that....she will crack up laughing and say that he deserves it, the miserable ****!