Options

Did You Ever Receive The Cane/Strap at school.

TiwttmosTiwttmos Posts: 2,573
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I received the strap for throwing a paper aeroplane in the classroom. I can tell you it stung like a bugger! The hardest part was trying not to cry in front of the girls!! I also got it for kicking a basketball!! The teacher would ominously place a damp towel over your wrists to make sure the veins were covered! Did you get punished for no reason but to be in the wrong place at the wrong time!

Comments

• Options
    yellowparkyellowpark Posts: 2,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, a lot.
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If any of my teachers had taken out a weapon in front of me I would had taken it off them and used it on them

Different generation I guess
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully it was all finished by the time I went to school.

I did get a warning in the play ground from a parent over a matter, she said she would slap me up if I did it again.
  • Options
    Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I remember the deputy head was called Mr Radcliffe and he used to stalk the corridors with his cane. He wore one of those black gowns too. I remember him caning two lads just outside my classroom, they'd been caught smoking behind the sports hall. I can still hear the sound and the yells. :eek: Thankfully, I managed to escape that fate and I think it was actually stopped before I left in 1984.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If any of my teachers had taken out a weapon in front of me I would had taken it off them and used it on them

Even to this day i'd love my revenge!
  • Options
    ScubyScuby Posts: 1,343
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I did receive 100 lines when I had been away, so what you might ask, the school had been informed my Mum had died so I was , obviously, kept away until after the funeral, the deputy head called me in to the office and interrogated me as to why I had not bought a note to school I was 11, and not surprisingly couldnt talk about losing Mum. (was early 60´s)

It was after my Dad found me writing the lines that th DH apologised, gee thanks Sir, I never ever forgave him for this and when I Heard 40 years later he had died did I care, afraid not

That was the closest to being caned, so not really
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I saw a lot of people get it. One child pulled away his hand and it walloped his wrist. What a welt that made! But it was banned during my later primary school years. High School would have been the place to get it as some weirdo teachers enjoyed it according to the stories you'd hear from the older kids! :D
  • Options
    ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    Tiwttmos wrote: »
    I received the strap for throwing a paper aeroplane in the classroom. I can tell you it stung like a bugger! The hardest part was trying not to cry in front of the girls!! I also got it for kicking a basketball!! The teacher would ominously place a damp towel over your wrists to make sure the veins were covered! Did you get punished for no reason but to be in the wrong place at the wrong time!

At my school ( Grammar ....expelled with honours ) getting " caned " was a bit of a biggie which could only be done by the headmaster in the presence of the Deputy headmaster to witness it and sign a book saying hed witnessed it . Getting " slippered " on the other hand could be done by any teacher at any time and was almost routinely " casual " ....getting slippered was just pretty much a part of your day every other day . :eek:
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    Never got the strap myself, but I remember a lad who enjoyed bullying the younger children and stealing their dinner money being dragged through the school by the PE teacher at morning break, past everyone milling around the cloakrooms, to be given the strap for something - he was sobbing the entire way, he never managed to bully anyone again.

They didn't hand out the strap as punishment very often at my school though (this was late 70s early 80s) and it could only be given by the headmaster or the two deputies, the teachers weren't allowed to hand out corporal punishment. I only remember a couple of people getting it. Detention with ridiculous tasks (like write a short story about the life of a ping pong ball or a day in the life of a paper bag) or cleaning graffiti off desks were the preferred method of punishment - I got a lot of detentions.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member

You obviously never went to a Catholic school then.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it was allowed. I certainly never saw anybody being hit although the RE teacher once banged a bible down on someone's head and they (pupil) fell off their chair and she (teacher) got into serious trouble. We all vowed after that if she did it to us we would play dead and get her sacked but she left soon afterwards to become a missionary :eek: .

The worst (and only I think) punishment I ever had was to write "I must not talk in class" 100 times. Thing was, I was innocent, truly, but my protestations were in vain! So I wrote "I wasn't talking in class" 100 times instead and the teacher never even checked them, just put them in the bin when I'd finished :mad:
  • Options
    EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, the leather strap across the palm of the hands on several occasions (by the Christian Brothers)....very painful it was too.
  • Options
    Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,989
    Forum Member

Tbh that's what I thought when I saw the thread.. I think if any of my teachers had used the strap of cane on a lot of the pupils it would hurt them a lot more in the long run
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We respected our teachers and wouldn't dare cheek them. Our head master once caned the whole class after morning assembly.
  • Options
    JulesandSandJulesandSand Posts: 6,012
    Forum Member
    We called it the belt (sometimes the Lochgelly, after the town where it was made). When I went to secondary school, many of the teachers still wore black robes and these had a special pocket for the belt.

I had the belt a couple of times.
  • Options
    VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Borstal for you, boy. :D
  • Options
    SandgrownunSandgrownun Posts: 5,024
    Forum Member
    You obviously never went to a Catholic school then.
    I did. As my post above yours says, the strap was rarely used. Not all catholic schools had severe corporal punishment, in fact my oh got caned at his state school 4 times for things that would have only got a detention at my school.
  • Options
    Wolfman13Wolfman13 Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    valkay wrote: »
    We respected our teachers and wouldn't dare cheek them. Our head master once caned the whole class after morning assembly.

BiB Exactly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Scuby wrote: »
    I did receive 100 lines when I had been away, so what you might ask, the school had been informed my Mum had died so I was , obviously, kept away until after the funeral, the deputy head called me in to the office and interrogated me as to why I had not bought a note to school I was 11, and not surprisingly couldnt talk about losing Mum. (was early 60´s)

It was after my Dad found me writing the lines that th DH apologised, gee thanks Sir, I never ever forgave him for this and when I Heard 40 years later he had died did I care, afraid not

That was the closest to being caned, so not really
    Quite right too. I'd have done a jig on his grave!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,924
    Forum Member
    Yes, on the first day at secondary school. My friend and I were asked by the 2 lads behind us where we came from, we replied then the 4 of us were hauled out into the corridor and given the belt. Can't say it stopped anybody else talking in her class. Old bitch. It is strange but it seemed to be only the spinsters who gave the belt, never the married teachers. Maybe they had kids of their own.
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i did on quite a few occasions , Did i deserve it ? At the time Yes because i was a disruptive little Sh1t. Unlike todays kids they can't be labeled naughty anymore , They're diagnosed with some attention deficit disorder and pumped full of pills. :D
  • Options
    rupert_pupkinrupert_pupkin Posts: 3,975
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes i did on quite a few occasions , Did i deserve it ? At the time Yes because i was a disruptive little Sh1t. Unlike todays kids they can't be labeled naughty anymore , They're diagnosed with some attention deficit disorder and pumped full of pills. :D

You deserved violence from a strange adult? That's beyond my comprehension

Also was it just the on the hand/arms or something else? I don't know if I'm mixing it up with erm...some videos I stumbled upon accidentally once (involving girls)
  • Options
    dip_transferdip_transfer Posts: 2,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You deserved violence from a strange adult? That's beyond my comprehension

I know it's weird. i'd hate it if it was any of my own children on the receiving end , hard to explain

Cane or stick across the fingers, Slipper across the arse.

Over the years my view on this kind of punishment in schools has changed somewhat , to being for it and now being against it.
  • Options
    Bus Stop2012Bus Stop2012 Posts: 5,624
    Forum Member
    Yes, I once got the cane. Can't remember why, and I was usually well behaved and quiet, so you'd think I'd remember really. But I was quite interested to see what the process was. Turned out we had to wait outside the headmaster's room and go in one by one. It didn't hurt. We'd had cuffs behind the ear in junior school, and that hurt more.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Ended by the time I went but I never even got so much as dentition or lines
This discussion has been closed.