The Life Of Rock With Brian Pern BBC4 10 pm Monday

mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
Forum Member
✭✭
Okay you might just have missed the opening, Simon Day as prog rock legend Brian Penn. Very well observed mix of parody and blackout gags.

Comments

• Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A lot of it seemed to be a lazy parody of Peter Gabriel and Genesis.
    Did like the blues tramp man and having Mulligan and O'Hare back on the screen though.
  • maninthequeuemaninthequeue Posts: 2,479
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did like the blues tramp man and having Mulligan and O'Hare back on the screen though.

Whilst Simon Day's character is mainly based on Peter Gabriel, there were certainly the odd Roxy Music, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, King Crimson, Yes, Mike Oldfield, Brian Eno, etc reference thrown into the mix.

Great to see Mulligan & O'Hare revived as talking heads though.
  • mike65mike65 Posts: 11,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the use of Have A Cigar when Michael Kitchens music lawyer was on screen and the notion that Judge Dredd was an influence on PJ Harvey
  • ffa1ffa1 Posts: 2,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was OK. Can't see them stretching it out to 6 episodes though.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    ffa1 wrote: »
    It was OK. Can't see them stretching it out to 6 episodes though.

It's a good thing there's only 3 episodes then :)
  • I, CandyI, Candy Posts: 3,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Considering those involved, I found it a bit of a disappointment.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Worth it just for "Fearne Cotton" caption underneath Annie Nightingale! :D
  • Virgil TracyVirgil Tracy Posts: 26,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    it was pretty good , could've done without the Reeves and Mortimer bit tho , they're never funny .
  • ChrisEChrisE Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

If you saw the Danny Baker program afterwards you can understand why.:D

There were many well observed moments, especially the cave scene and the Banksy bit.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Worth it just for "Fearne Cotton" caption underneath Annie Nightingale! :D

I knew there was something wrong but I couldn't quite place it :D
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    At first I didn't recognise it was Nigel Havers who played Tony PebbLE

I enjoyed the running Rick Wakeman joke.... "I played piano on that"
  • testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    I think Simon Day is hopelessly miscast.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    testcard wrote: »
    I think Simon Day is hopelessly miscast.
    Oh c'mon - it's Simon Day...Tommy Cockles....Dave Angel...Billy Bleach....Competitive Dad...Antonios Gubba...Gideon Soames....Jeremy Kwee...and of course MOOOONKFIIIIISH! lol - he's an unsung genius of British comedy and it's all too rarely he's given the chance to shine and take centre stage (like he did in BBC3's Grass (2003)...which typically got dropped after 1 series)
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Well, I enjoyed it.

But I can't help thinking that maybe Paul Whitehouse would have been better cast as Brian.

Loved Vic and Bob!
  • testcardtestcard Posts: 8,202
    Forum Member
    I've always liked Simon Day in previous roles, particularly those that surfking mentioned. However I felt that his character here seemed rather stiff and unnatural.
  • Colino GreenColino Green Posts: 575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surfking wrote: »
    Oh c'mon - it's Simon Day...Tommy Cockles....Dave Angel...Billy Bleach....Competitive Dad...Antonios Gubba...Gideon Soames....Jeremy Kwee...and of course MOOOONKFIIIIISH! lol - he's an unsung genius of British comedy and it's all too rarely he's given the chance to shine and take centre stage (like he did in BBC3's Grass (2003)...which typically got dropped after 1 series)

How the hell did you miss Carl Hooper off that list? er.. Amazing! :D
  • JurassicMarkJurassicMark Posts: 12,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    surfking wrote: »

I agree, used to love Competitive Dad.

Thought it was very good, but a bit surprised more hasn't been said about it, especially with it's cast of well known celebrities and musicians. Probably due to it being on BBC4, it would be more at home on BBC2.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I recorded this after hearing some favourable reviews, but soon wished I hadn't bothered. I gave up after little over five minutes.

There ought to be a warning given out before any TV programme that Annie Nightingale appears in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quietly hilarious, like Craig Browns radio documentary satire "1966 and All That" Brian Pern just close enough to the truth while being completely wrong.
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I met Simon in a bakery in Brighton once he's a great bloke and....he's a comic genius....and while normally I actually dislike swearing for the sake of it and shock value thought the programme very funny and worth it for Nigel havers dropping the c bomb and Noel Edmonds the f one.... :D:D
  • tangsmantangsman Posts: 3,661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoyed episode 1 but thought tonight's episode just wasn't funny enough.
  • sheff71sheff71 Posts: 8,016
    Forum Member
    Just watching episode 2 now (having watched episode 1 and the 3 Danny Baker Rock of the 70s/80s/90s shows earlier tonight)... after hearing Simon Day on Hawksbee & Jacobs earlier...

I liked the 'Max Bygraves was the first white artist to make a disco record, nine days before the BeeGees', and 'his album "Discolongamax" sold over six million albums in Antwerp alone' :D
    ... and Danny J-J as Nile Rogers "It was originally Nigel, but I dropped the 'g' and moved the other letters around"

Very silly, but enough fun in it to make it worthwhile (even DJ Mike Smash with a cameo!).

I thought that 'Doctor in Distress' charity record they mentioned was made up... sometimes the truth is crazier than fantasy :) How could it fail with Hazell Dean, Matt Bianco and David Van Day on board, not to mention Tight Fit... :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sheff71 wrote: »
    Just watching episode 2 now (having watched episode 1 and the 3 Danny Baker Rock of the 70s/80s/90s shows earlier tonight)... after hearing Simon Day on Hawksbee & Jacobs earlier...

I liked the 'Max Bygraves was the first white artist to make a disco record, nine days before the BeeGees', and 'his album "Discolongamax" sold over six million albums in Antwerp alone' :D
    ... and Danny J-J as Nile Rogers "It was originally Nigel, but I dropped the 'g' and moved the other letters around"

Very silly, but enough fun in it to make it worthwhile (even DJ Mike Smash with a cameo!).

I thought that 'Doctor in Distress' charity record they mentioned was made up... sometimes the truth is crazier than fantasy :) How could it fail with Hazell Dean, Matt Bianco and David Van Day on board, not to mention Tight Fit... :o

Scarily DiscolongaMax was real too. We've just been listening to tracks online. Jaw dropping stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damn I knew I was missing some others. Oh well - it was bound to happen considering the Fast Show had 7 members in the troupe and each played many different characters. Had to wrack my brain to list the ones I did.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I heard about this but for some reason thought it was a radio series.

Anyway, just downloaded ep1 to give it a look.