Scottish parliament wants Border to be scrapped

epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
Forum Member
✭✭✭
On the radio I heard the Scottish parliament wants the Border franchise area to be reviewed and the Scottish area of Border to be come a new franchise which they hope will be awarded to STV to allow Scottish programs to eb shown to the whole of Scotland, as is the case with UTV and ITV Wales.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,605
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epm-84 wrote: »
    On the radio I heard the Scottish parliament wants the Border franchise area to be reviewed and the Scottish area of Border to be come a new franchise which they hope will be awarded to STV to allow Scottish programs to eb shown to the whole of Scotland, as is the case with UTV and ITV Wales.

If this happens can see a lot more satellite dishes going up in the Borders and maybe more aerials pointing south to England and west to NI!
  • dadioflexdadioflex Posts: 1,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If this happens can see a lot more satellite dishes going up in the Borders and maybe more aerials pointing south to England and west to NI!

You mustn't have seen the old toss they show on UTV....
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Why don't they just ask the viewers concerned what they prefer rather than make proposals beforehand. Or would that be too democratic for a Parliament?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,718
    Forum Member
    Are you sure its the parliament and just the SNP?
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Jack1 wrote: »
    Are you sure its the parliament and just the SNP?

I am just going by what the OP said, I have not heard about it myself. It sounds like something the SNP would come out with though.
  • SmoothySmoothy Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    So really they don't want "Border" scrapped (which won't happen, of course) but they want the Border region franchise (currently held by ITV plc.) to be up for tender again and for it to be given to STV, so giving them control of three ITV regions (central and northern Scotland regions as well as the Border region), which would so happen to cover pretty much all of Scotland. A nice idea, but unlikely to happen, really. I mean, there's no real way of forcing ITV plc. to just simply drop their Border region franchise just like that. I suppose the government could introduce an auction for ALL regions like in the past but seeing as ITV plc. own most of the ITV regions, they aren't likely to want this so will put up a very good fight against it.

Also, to be fair, Wales and Ireland has always been covered by one ITV region while Scotland is covered by three, so to say that it should be the same as those areas is ignoring how it was set up in the first place.
  • angustayangustay Posts: 2,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ITV in the past has tried to palm Border of to STV and STV in the past has declined. The Border regions as they were in the past was an advertising black spot which neither company were really interested in. Now suddenly this seem's to have changed probably more down to politics rather than STV themselves.
    Forum Member
    Oh, very interesting. So why did ITV plc. try to palm it off to STV in the past? In fact, why did they buy it up at all in the first place?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was back in the late 90s to early 00s ITV could not get enough ad revenue from the area and it was costing them money. My cousin worked there before he went to the US he always refered to it as an advertising blackspot that ITV wanted rid off. Whether that is the case now I have no idea.
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has been discussed in the Freeview forums because Border is very much a hybrid region. It was formed to include the Scottish Borders, Cumbria and the IOM. The IOM has left to join Granada. Border has two main transmitter groups Caldbeck and Selkirk which more or less reflect the different nature of the region. Selkirk is in the Scottish borders and gets BBC Scotland variants except ITV/C4 which is the English version. STV originally bid for this in 1961 but I guess it was added to the rest to make a viable region. I think that STV have a good claim on Selkirk as it's mainly in Scotland.

Caldbeck is in Cumbria and is now split with a Scottish PSB service broadcast to Scotland (assume that means STV) and an English PSB service broadcast to England. The commercial muxes are just English but by next year this will not be a problem as they will be uniform throughout the UK.

So Selkirk is like a sore thumb and eventually it should be assumed by STV. I am not making any comment about the quality of STV, just referring to the geography of the region. Obviously the satellite regions are dictated by the terrestrial arrangements.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am not familiar with the area but I presume Border transmits a combined service for the areas North and South of the England/Scotland border? So any split would require an extra transmitter etc at Caldbeck and perhaps some relay stations which serve both sides of the border.

Presumably the Edinburgh government will pay the costs involved in doing this?
    Forum Member
    Why not just force ITV plc. to just up the local Scottish programming for the Border region, or would that never work due to ITV plc.'s seemingly big quest to not produce any proper local content in ANY region these days?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know a few people in the Border area and there is a mixed response with what region they want. Personaly I think they should get a vote and the politicians should butt out.:D
  • NetizenNetizen Posts: 5,041
    Forum Member
    Bah, wrong thread
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S4C as zero audiences at times, due to "We will tell you what to watch", political interference will do the same in Scotia, jobs for the boys.

I agree watch the dishes go up..
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    The ITV1 Border Scotland region should go to STV because STV would treat it properly and the area is after all supposed to be Scottish. STV would produce a decent local opt-out bulletin as they do on their other opt-outs such as in Aberdeen and in Dundee.
    I don't know how they've been getting away with the situation on ITV1 Border in Scotland so I'm glad to hear the Scottish parliament speak out about it.
    This ITV1 Border region now which used to at least have split England and Scotland versions, has a single regional news bulletin covering everywhere from Dumfries to Newcastle and as far as I know now zero programmes at all for South Scotland. There used to be the odd one or two such as Scotsport but now even this token Scottishness has been totally stripped.
    Surely viewers in places like Dumfries & Galloway if they feel at all patriotic would rather have STV. If people in the Border Scotland region are satisfied with their ITV1 service then all I can say is they must be pretty apathetic about TV, STV would easily provide them with a better service more suited to their area and culture. I really don't understand the anti-STV attitude with some in Scotland, don't they realise how lucky they are to have it. A broadcaster that wants to provide more regional news and an increase in the production of original Scottish programmes. Take a look at ITV1 Wales to see what it could be like instead, ITV1 is mostly London.

Fair's fair could STV get a Freeview slot in the area?
    Forum Member
    No, cos the area is covered by the border region licence, which currently ITV plc. holds.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,004
    Forum Member
    Maybe this will be the first step in creating an SBC.
  • The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    It would make sense for STV to cover the Scottish Borders. Then at least we would get a neat border between ITV and STV territory running exactly along the English-Scottish border.
  • Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Smoothy wrote: »
    So really they don't want "Border" scrapped (which won't happen, of course) but they want the Border region franchise (currently held by ITV plc.) to be up for tender again and for it to be given to STV, so giving them control of three ITV regions (central and northern Scotland regions as well as the Border region),

You are aware that Border covers Scotland and England? Therefore it isn't just the case of giving Border to STV.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    janet owen wrote: »
    S4C as zero audiences at times, due to "We will tell you what to watch", political interference will do the same in Scotia, jobs for the boys.

I agree watch the dishes go up..

This doesn't just apply to S4C in Wales. This has also happened to ITV in Wales and as reported often in the past,in these forums,the North Wales coast area was/is always traditionally ITV Granada Territory,however their news coverage of this area ceased,in 2009.
    My investigations,involving our local MP and his meetings with both ITV Granada and ITV Wales,to discuss re-instating ITV Granada's news coverage,have turned up an agreement between ITV Granada and Wales,whereby ITV Granada will cease to cover any news from the North Wales area. Our MP attempted to persuade ITV Granada to re-instate their news coverage,on the grounds that coverage had already been given,over the past five decades,but both ITV regions,refused to listen.

Our local MP has since written to me to say there is no point in continuing further,as the two parties won't listen and as they are private companies,there is little he can do to oblige them to change their decision.

Ultimately,whatever ITV decide,it will be pointless if the viewers don't go along with it and i can definitely confirm that most viewers in the North Wales coast area,have stayed with ITV Granada and the other Winter Hill channels.

My honest gut feeling,is that there is some political influence,as regards the actions of ITV,in this area,to try and protect Welsh culture and that is the term the politicians have used.
    I would certainly suspect that the suggestion that ITV Border,in Scotland,is handed to STV,would have come from the nationalists,just as the problem with ITV in North Wales,has occurred,since the Welsh Nationalists and Labour,are in power in the Welsh Assembly.

Politics and broadcasting don't mix,in my opinion
  • The TurkThe Turk Posts: 5,148
    Forum Member
    angustay wrote: »
    ITV in the past has tried to palm Border of to STV and STV in the past has declined. The Border regions as they were in the past was an advertising black spot which neither company were really interested in. Now suddenly this seem's to have changed probably more down to politics rather than STV themselves.
    This is a revelation to me. I had assumed it was ITV digging their heels in about this. Having said that, it does actually make sense that ITV did want to get rid of the region and Im not surprised that you and others on this thread have described it as an advertising black hole.
    I always thought it odd that ITV would be that bothered about losing the Scottish half of one of the smallest populated ITV regions in the country (even WITH the English half included).
    To a broadcaster the size of ITV, it wouldn't affect them much but for a smaller broadcaster like STV, a few extra potential hundred thousand viewers would be quite useful though it seems STV don't agree!:eek:
  • dgdavedgdave Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    Living in Dumfries&Galloway, we have said since Border went to Gateshead (Tyne Tees) it would make sense for southern Scotland to be part of STV.
    Really its as simple as throwing a switch just about.
    Caldbeck TX (North Cumbria) has two
    ITV muxs . Scotland Ch24 England Ch28
    BBC Scotland Mux Ch27 HD Ch22
    BBC England Mux CH25 HD Ch28

The Selkirk TX Just swap ITV MUX to STV
    and all Relays north of the border

We feel this would be better all round, For viewers and broadcasters
  • Ray CathodeRay Cathode Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dgdave wrote: »
    Living in Dumfries&Galloway, we have said since Border went to Gateshead (Tyne Tees) it would make sense for southern Scotland to be part of STV.
    Really its as simple as throwing a switch just about.
    Caldbeck TX (North Cumbria) has two
    ITV muxs . Scotland Ch24 England Ch28
    BBC Scotland Mux Ch27 HD Ch22
    BBC England Mux CH25 HD Ch28

The Selkirk TX Just swap ITV MUX to STV
    and all Relays north of the border

We feel this would be better all round, For viewers and broadcasters

Selkirk relays would all get the same STV like they all get BBC Scotland. The few English ones would have to be expensively reattributed to another main transmitter and I doubt whether it would even be possible, because the relays have to "see" the main.

The only possibility is if there are spare frequencies available to create a Selkirk England and Selkirk Scotland. But I doubt whether ITV or STV would be willing to pay. So it's either STV or ITV at Selkirk.

BTW Caldbeck is now effectively split North & South since DSO. No problems there. It's just Selkirk which is the anomaly.
  • a516a516 Posts: 5,241
    Forum Member
    Selkirk relays would all get the same STV like they all get BBC Scotland. The few English ones would have to be expensively reattributed to another main transmitter and I doubt whether it would even be possible, because the relays have to "see" the main.

The only possibility is if there are spare frequencies available to create a Selkirk England and Selkirk Scotland. But I doubt whether ITV or STV would be willing to pay. So it's either STV or ITV at Selkirk.

BTW Caldbeck is now effectively split North & South since DSO. No problems there. It's just Selkirk which is the anomaly.

There aren't any England based relays of Selkirk. The Cheviots effectively form a natural border for TV and radio between the North East (Pontop Pike and Chatton) and Scotland (Selkirk).

Berwick was a hybrid, until ITV changed from Border to Tyne Tees region (the irony) before DSO.

Travel a relatively short distance SW of Selkirk past Hawick and you are in a no-mans land for TV until reaching Langholm, which relays Caldbeck. A relatively short hop over the border into Kielder Forest brings into the Pontop Pike transmitter group zone.

Regarding an earlier post: Mux 2 from Caldbeck Scotland does not carry STV. It was intended to carry Border Scotland. But as that doesn't exist, it's currently ITV TTB.