England 1-0 Costa Rica

1 - Uruguay P3 W2 D1 L0 GD +5 PTS 7
    2 - Italy P3 W 1 D2 L0 GD +2 PTS 5
    3 - England P3 W1 D1 L1 GD -1 PTS 4
    4 - Costa Rica P3 W0 D0 L3 GD -6 PTS 0
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Going to put a scenario in here- Italy, England and Uruguay all beat Costa Rica. But England beat Italy, Uruguay beat England and Italy beat Uruguay
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Dr. Linus wrote: »
    It's not just home bias that leads me to think this is one of the trickiest to predict. Nevertheless, I'll put my neutral hat on and try and come to a decision.

Uruguay - regardless of Suarez, they should almost certainly win the group. They have a wealth of great players to draw upon and can be very aggressive, especially against a naive team like England. However Italy's excellent defense will probably prove a great challenge for them and I think Italy will secure a draw. Other than that, I think two victories are likely.

England - well what can I say? Don't believe the hype, as always. We are currently an unremarkable team and stand little change against a ferocious Uruguay. However, with the right attitude and by learning how to hold on to a lead, we can beat Italy. We definitely should beat Costa Rica, and therefore I will tentatively suggest we can come second in the group. Fingers crossed!

Italy - these are a team that deserve respect but not fear. It will be hard to beat them but again, with the right play from other teams, Italy will also have a tough job winning games against us and Uruguay. I think a 0-0 draw with Uruguay is likely and a narrow loss to England is possible. This unfortunately means that Italy would go home with 4 points. Will this actually happen? Who knows, but that's a group of death for you.

Costa Rica - sadly, there is always a fall guy in a group such as this and all teams will inevitably go all-out on Costa Rica for an achievable three points. Looking at Costa Rica, I don't think they can prevent this. A draw with us and Italy is possible, but that would be a serious disappointment for both teams. I'm afraid I expect three losses.

Predictions:
    Uruguay - 7 (drawing with Italy)
    England - 6 (losing to Uruguay)
    Italy - 4 (beating Costa Rica, drawing with Uruguay)
    Costa Rica - 0

I think you need therapy if you think that England will be in the top two over Italy - are you kidding - Italy are the GREATEST and will come TOP of group.:D
    Forum Member
    Phoebica wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, in the last World Cup they finished bottom of their group – below even New Zealand! A repeat of that would be nice.

How dare you - I have faith in my lovely Italia - they will bring it home if they don't get umpteen goals disallowed.
    Forum Member
    Phoebica wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, in the last World Cup they finished bottom of their group – below even New Zealand! A repeat of that would be nice.

They have also WON the World Cup 4 times and lost out in the final twice - now please remind me what ENGLAND have done!:p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Trigger64 wrote: »
    They have also WON the World Cup 4 times and lost out in the final twice - now please remind me what ENGLAND have done!:p

The past counts for nothing unfortunately. It's here and now that matters, and to be honest I can totally see England getting a good result against Italy as long as our defence plays okay.
  • Amanda_RaymondAmanda_Raymond Posts: 2,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just realized I have an Italian football shirt, might just wear it tomorrow, being in Wales I think i'll get away with it lol
  • PhoebicaPhoebica Posts: 2,863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trigger64 wrote: »

Haha, we erm we beat Argentina in 2002... No, I'm just trying to be optimistic about England's chances, and obviously to do I have to be negative about the other teams. In all honesty, although my heart says England will get out of this group my head says it'll be Italy who progress.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O'Neill wrote: »
    Am I the only person wondering what Costa Rica did to Scotland?

Edit: seems it's about their win against them 24 years ago.

Same as they did to Uruguay and Italy this time.
  • BosoxBosox Posts: 14,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Congratulations to Costa Rica, they were supposed to be the bunnies in the group of death and now they look set to top the group.
  • O'NeillO'Neill Posts: 8,721
    Forum Member
    Same as they did to Uruguay and Italy this time.

Yeah they've been impressive, coped well in what looked like a very difficult group.
  • henrywilliams58henrywilliams58 Posts: 4,963
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Impressive how well Costa Rica have done considering they they were the group's whipping boys and predicted to come last in the group. They are the last of the group still standing.

England are the only team to remain unbeaten against them. And if Italy had played Uruguay before Uruguay played England Suarez would not have played against England and we would have won and who knows ...

[OK I just woke up ... ]