misleading film posters

13»

Comments

• TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really? I know that movie very well and remember the original release.

Have also looked at various posters from different territories online, checked the IMDB listing and no mention of the tagline you refer to at all.

Not sure if it helps, but the Japanese title for the VHS release of Manhunter was 'Red Dragon: the Pursuit of Dr. Lecter' before it was changed, for its DVD release, to 'Red Dragon: the Silence of Dr. Lecter'. And changed again, for the DVD/Bluray release, to 'Manhunter / Red Dragon: the Silence of Dr. Lecter'.

You don't even want to know the title for Japan's theatrical release of Manhunter.

Oh, all right then. 'Criminal Profiler Graham'. :D
  • Ted CTed C Posts: 11,731
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    Not sure if it helps, but the Japanese title for the VHS release of Manhunter was 'Red Dragon: the Pursuit of Dr. Lecter' before it was changed, for its DVD release, to 'Red Dragon: the Silence of Dr. Lecter'. And changed again, for the DVD/Bluray release, to 'Manhunter / Red Dragon: the Silence of Dr. Lecter'.

You don't even want to know the title for Japan's theatrical release of Manhunter.

Oh, all right then. 'Criminal Profiler Graham'. :D

Hmmm...its a difficult one this, because once we start down this road, people from literally all over the world will give their experiences and opinions on film posters, film titles (specifically title changes) and trailers from their part of the world.

And as we all know these can change dramatically, and in some cases quite ludicrously (at least from our perspective) from the original.
  • Wrex BickleWrex Bickle Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    It seems that "The Pursuit of Hannibal Lector" was an obvious cash in on the infamy of the characters name - to attract attention. Unfortunately it did NOT make any sense to the context of the film, so most likely thought up by someone who hadn't paid the plot ANY attention or just as likely - never even watched it.
  • Payne by namePayne by name Posts: 3,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to find the biggest mis-leaders were horror films from the 80's that always had a large breasted damsel on the front but when you saw the film there was nothing more than a B cup on display.

I could never understand that if they recognised that big boobs sold, why not get actresses with big boobs?
  • Wrex BickleWrex Bickle Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    I used to find the biggest mis-leaders were horror films from the 80's that always had a large breasted damsel on the front but when you saw the film there was nothing more than a B cup on display.

I could never understand that if they recognised that big boobs sold, why not get actresses with big boobs?

Bit like Penny on the opening credits of a recent series of Big Bang Theory, her boobs look huge for the half second you see them.
    ...yes I know tv is off topic.
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In 1961 Sean Connery starred in an army comedy called On The Fiddle in which he played the dim sidekick of the leading character. It wasn't released in the US until 1965 by which time Connery ha made it big as James Bond. As a result the American poster and publicity made Connery appear to be the lead and that the film was far more serious

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Fiddle#US_release
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    The poster for Postman Pat The Movie looks like The Full Monty.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    lady_xanax wrote: »

My friend said the DVD cover looked like The Full Monty when we were in the supermarket the other day, funnily enough :D
  • Will_BennettsWill_Bennetts Posts: 3,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lady_xanax wrote: »
    I just googled it that's quite funny tbh :D
  • lady_xanaxlady_xanax Posts: 5,662
    Forum Member
    I just googled it that's quite funny tbh :D

He's about to 'deliver the goods' according to the poster.