Options

215 in 2015

Comments

• Options
    OxfordGirlOxfordGirl Posts: 3,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    clm2071 wrote: »
    I've eventually got around to this recommendation! Just done the first couple of chapters so far.

I read another one by Charles Cumming a few weeks ago - A Foreign Country - thought it was great.

Glad you are enjoying this author. He has obviously got a lot more publicity after being on the Richard and Judy list.

I have a few more to read which I'll get to soon - I hope!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    65) Renita D'Silva - The Forgotten Daughter

Story of a British girl of Indian origin whose parents die and who discovers she was adopted. Parallel story of her family in India. Sort of sweet and an interesting insight into Indian culture but otherwise fairly predictable.

66) Stuart MacBride - Close to the Bone
    67) Stuart MacBride - Partners in Crime
    68) Stuart MacBride - The 45% Hangover
    OK I have now sickened myself of these books. Only the latest one still to read and I'll keep that for a while. The earlier books in the series are definitely the best ones.
  • Options
    clm2071clm2071 Posts: 6,644
    Forum Member
    OxfordGirl wrote: »
    Glad you are enjoying this author. He has obviously got a lot more publicity after being on the Richard and Judy list.

I have a few more to read which I'll get to soon - I hope!

I didn't realise he was on the R&J list, I was lucky enough to win A Foreign Country in a Goodreads giveaway and bought the sequel (A Colder War) as soon as I'd finished it (still on the to read pile). I found The Trinity Six and The Spanish Game in a charity shop.
  • Options
    DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    11. The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
    12. Post Office - Charles Bukowski
    13. Etta and Otto and Russell and James - Emma Hooper (9/10)
    What a beautiful book. I really enjoyed this. It's about an eighty-two year old woman whose greatest wish is to see the sea. The story follows her 2,000 mile journey from her farm to the water. This is Hooper's first book and I will definitely be looking out for more writing from her.
  • Options
    moonlilymoonlily Posts: 7,894
    Forum Member
    8. Wormwood Nevada by David Oppeggaard. Ok for a quick easy read but not mind blowing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 385
    Forum Member
    15. Mightier than the Sword by Jeffrey Archer 8/10.

Part 5 of the Clifton Chronicles. Wont give too much away as book 4 ends on a cliffhanger so cant say much without giving it away. Archer is a great storyteller as always. I read this in 2 days.

16. Reflected in you by Sylvia Day 8/10

Book 3 of the Crossfire novels. Nathan is dead and the finger is being pointed at Gideon. Eva knows the truth and decides she loves Gideon enough to get through it. A really good addition to the series and am looking forward to book 4.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. The Secret Place - Tana French
    2. The Outcast Dead - Elly Griffths
    3. False Impression - Jeffrey Archer
    4. The Sweetest Hallelujah - Elaine Hussey
    5. The Octopus Nest - Sophie Hannah
    6. As the Crow Flies - Damien Boyd
    7. The Sea Detective - Mark Douglas Home
    8. The Woman who walked into the Sea - Mark Douglas Home
    9. Wonder - the Julian chapter - RJ Palacio
    10. Don't stand so close - Luana Lewis
    11. Pictures or it didn't happen - Sophie Hannah
    12. Only Time Will Tell - Jeffrey Archer
    13. Stranded - Emily Barr
    14. Broken Dolls - James Carol
    15. Elizabeth is missing - Emma Healey
    16. The Sins of the Father - Jeffery Archer
    17. Penpal - Dathan Auerbach
    18. The Crossing Places - Elly Griffiths
    19. The Janus Stone - Elly Griffiths

20. The House at Sea's End - Elly Griffiths
    9/10 - 3rd in the series with DCI Harry Nelson and Forensic archaelogist Ruth Galloway. I'm still enjoying this series and I've already started book 4. This one has links to WW2 which I found interesting, albeit it a little far-fetched. I think the last time I read a series one after another like this was Enid Blyton's Mallory Towers Series when I was 13 years old!
  • Options
    Kitty5Kitty5 Posts: 84
    Forum Member
    5) The Girl on the Train - Paula Hawkins 9.5/10
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    11 Worth Dying For - Lee Child (Jack Reacher book 15) - 7.5/10

Reacher ends up in a small town controlled by the Duncan family, who are desperate to stop him poking his nose around so they can receive a shipment. Better than the previous book in the series, 61 hours, however the way he survived the climax of that book is not explained in a particularly satisfactory manner.

12 A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire book 2) - 7/10

2nd book in the series. Differs more from the TV series than the first book, but still pretty similar.
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    16. The Buried Giant by Kazuo Ishiguro, narrated by David Horovitch.
    Post Roman Britain, post King Arthur, Britons and Saxons are living in relative harmony under a mist which is inducing memory loss. Axl and Beatrice are an elderly couple who leave their home village on a quest to find their son. They travel across a land populated with ogres, demons and pixies. They meet a warrior and a knight in shining armour (rusty). There's a dragon to contend with.

More myth than fantasy, quite slow, and written in the same matter of fact tone used in The Remains of the Day and Never Let Me Go. Everyone is polite and chivalric, even the baddies. Ostensibly a tale along the lines of "When a Knight won his spurs", but plenty of relevance to modern day life, most of which I've probably missed.

Not a book that will appeal to everyone, but I thought that it was BRILLIANT. Excellent narration by David Horovitch too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    13) The Trinity Six by Charles Cumming 7/10

The hunt for the 6th member of the Cambridge spy ring.

Bit of a slow burner. I didn't think it flowed very smoothly early on but once it hit its stride I enjoyed it. Not as good as the other book I read by the same author (A Foreign Country) though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    17. The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths 9/10

First in the series with forensic archaeologist Ruth and DI Nelson. I really enjoyed this. 2 girls have gone missing and some bones have been found on the Saltmarsh. Kept me guessing throughout and I didnt see the ending coming. Have ordered book 2 at the library. I work there, it wont take long!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    9. Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.
  • Options
    DoohDahDoohDah Posts: 257
    Forum Member
    11. The Night Circus - Erin Morgenstern
    12. Post Office - Charles Bukowski
    13. Etta and Otto and Russell and James
    14. Joyland - Stephen King (6.5/10)
    This was a crime/coming-of-age story set in a theme park in the 70s. Fairly entertaining but I'm sure King has written better!
  • Options
    Katie-JaneKatie-Jane Posts: 1,168
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    13) The Summer Without You by Karen Swan
  • Options
    Forum Member
    18. Seven Years to Sin by Sylvia Day 6/10.

Georgian romance with Alistair who has loved Jessica for years and now she's widowed he takes his chance. They get it on aboard a ship bound for Jamaica and then sail home to tell everyone they will marry but society is unlikely to let them. I like Day as a writer but thought this was poor. I wasn't drawn to the characters and the cliffhangers weren't much more than a stumble off the kerb. Dont think ill bother anytime soon with more of her historical romances. Onwards...
  • Options
    davey_waveydavey_wavey Posts: 27,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only managed to read 2 books so far this year. :blush:

1. The Lies We Told by Diane Chamberlain - I'm a massive fan of this author, having read a few of her books already. The storyline is strong in this one, with very believable characters. Diane can write flawed, believable characters very well. However, it's not one of my favourite stories by her. But I still liked it. 7/10.

2. A Trick of the Mind by Penny Hancock - When I read the first chapter, I didn't know whether I wanted to continue. The main character was irritating and the storyline started off ridiculously. However, as the story went on it became more gripping to read. There were lots of twists and turns, and the characters were written really well. I felt really engaged by this book, that my mouth even dropped open at some shocking moments and I was even clenching my fists in frustration at some of the characters! Brilliant read, a rollercoaster ride throughout. 10/10.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OxfordGirl wrote: »
    20) A Long Walk Home - Judith Tebbutt
    True story written by Judith Tebbutt who was taken prisoner by Somali pirates. An incredibly brave woman and I don't feel I want to criticise the sale of writing after all she went through.

I don't really read much non fiction, but I'm going to download this to my Kindle if you recommend it. I remember hearing about this on the news a few years ago, and thinking what a traumatic experience it must have been.
  • Options
    d0lphind0lphin Posts: 25,354
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. The Secret Place - Tana French
    2. The Outcast Dead - Elly Griffths
    3. False Impression - Jeffrey Archer
    4. The Sweetest Hallelujah - Elaine Hussey
    5. The Octopus Nest - Sophie Hannah
    6. As the Crow Flies - Damien Boyd
    7. The Sea Detective - Mark Douglas Home
    8. The Woman who walked into the Sea - Mark Douglas Home
    9. Wonder - the Julian chapter - RJ Palacio
    10. Don't stand so close - Luana Lewis
    11. Pictures or it didn't happen - Sophie Hannah
    12. Only Time Will Tell - Jeffrey Archer
    13. Stranded - Emily Barr
    14. Broken Dolls - James Carol
    15. Elizabeth is missing - Emma Healey
    16. The Sins of the Father - Jeffery Archer
    17. Penpal - Dathan Auerbach
    18. The Crossing Places - Elly Griffiths
    19. The Janus Stone - Elly Griffiths
    20. The House at Sea's End - Elly Griffiths

21. A room full of bones - Elly Griffiths
    7/10 - I didn't enjoy this as much as the rest of the series but it was still a good read. I was especially interested in the link to aboriginal myths.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    10. Bold as Brass by Hilary Devey.

I got this as a hardback from the pound shop but would have happily paid more, what a life this lady has led. A great read, I just wish it had been longer. (the book I mean)
  • Options
    Sue_CSue_C Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    17. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins.
    Downloaded at the reduced price to see what all the fuss was about. A quick and easy read with short chapters, easy to dip in and out. The story is told by three different characters, all unreliable to varying degrees. I liked the train theme, and how apparently perfect lives were actually anything but.

Unfortunately the characters were all so unlikeable that I didn't care about any of them. It was pretty obvious from quite early on who was the guilty party.

An ok read, I'd have been annoyed to have paid full price though, it wasn't £6+ good!
  • Options
    thewaywardbusthewaywardbus Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    12 A Clash of Kings by George RR Martin (A Song of Ice and Fire book 2) - 7/10

2nd book in the series. Differs more from the TV series than the first book, but still pretty similar.

13 Wanabes by Michael Logan (6/10)

Comic novel about a mentally unstable man who believes he can sing is led astray by a demon who persuades him that famous people get their fame by way of mystical tatoos. he then goes about trying harvest these, turning himself into a serial killer on the way.

Definitely based around modern popular culture including a Simon Cowel figure and an X Factor style show this author definitely does not like these types of shows or music. I really liked his first novel Appocolypse Cow, so had high hopes for this. Didn't quite hit the mark though, all seemed a little obvious in places.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    14) Wounds of Honour (Empire I) by Anthony Riches 7/10

First book in a series set in Roman Britain around Hadrians Wall

Solid - if unspectacular - debut. Heavy on historical accuracy and descriptive prose, the action comes and goes regularly but is over quite quickly. Quite gory and the author doesn't shy away from some rather colourful language!

There was certainly enough here for me to explore the rest of the series. I enjoyed it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. The Lies We Told by Diane Chamberlain
    2. A Trick of the Mind by Penny Hancock

3. Lost Souls by Neil White - a murder mystery, from the point of view of a crime reporter Jack Garrett and his partner who is a detective. They investigate the murder of a young woman who is found by an elderly man. He becomes a suspect, but claims that he dreams the future and dreamt that she was going to be murdered so went to her house to try and save her. Whilst this is being investigated, young children are being abducted in the city.

Overall, this is a strong story. However, there are quite a few characters and story strands so it's initially confusing and difficult to keep up with what is going on. However, the story strands all come together quite neatly at the end and the ending was fairly satisfying. The story did drag in places though, so the story could have done with being 50 pages or so shorter.

6.5/10
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    69) Around the States in 90 days - Andy Moseley
    sort of a travel blog but the writer came across as quite smug

70) Perfect Girl - Michele Gorman
    Chick lit - perfect daughter/employee/girlfriend/ sister finally grows a pair. Ruined by clichéd ending

71) Love Nina - Nine Stibbe
    Diary of Nina who was nanny to a London literary family. Okayish

72) Amanda Prowse - A Mother's Story
    Perfect couple whose life is torn apart by post natal depression. Okayish

73) Amanda James - A stitch in time
    Sort of time travelling story - not a good read