A woman at work is treating me like I'm her counsellor!

AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
Forum Member
✭✭
There's this woman at work who's been there a couple of years now and in that time she's had two long term sickness absences and she's often also off for a week or so at a time. She's in a department near me but we have a shared staff base and she's hardly ever really spoken to me apart from the odd hello.

Anyway, she's managed to disgruntle loads of people in her department, putting complaints in left, right and centre about people and since then she's sort of latched on to me. She doesn't go in the staff base much anymore but she's started to come to my work area at breaks and lunchtimes (sometimes I work through so I can get off early) to off-load all her problems and I know this might sound mean of me, but I don't really want her hanging around me.

She's getting worse and worse like she's looking for me especially every day. Now she tells me she's facing a diciplinary for being aggressive to members of her department and then she was saying she wasn't very well, it's all getting to her etc and she was nearly crying. She's been doing this for a couple of weeks but is getting more intense almost as if she needs to see me to make her feel better. All I've done is listened and tried to give some constructive advice like I would with anyone who came to me about anything but I'm wishing I hadn't now because I'm sure she thinks we have some special friendship.

I really don't know what to do! Help!

Comments

• hugsiehugsie Posts: 17,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps you could start by telling her you are really busy and don't have time to chat, or just don't be at your desk for breaks, get out before she shows up.
    Alternately invite someone who is on the other side of the dispute to have lunch with you, in order to remind her that you are not taking sides.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I´d just tell her straight, that no offence but she has come to the worst person if she wants a sympathetic ear as all you are doing is working through your breaks and lunch so you can get out of work early and back to your family as quick as possible. Office politics are definately something you wont get involved in, nothing personal, Say sorry and shrug your shoulders and get back to your work, all with a smile on your face, You know when you stare too closely and intensly at a bit of paper with a concentrated look on your face or plug your audio typing head phones back on and look the other way, do that.

Obvioulsy I dont know you and if you can be that short and nice at the same time, me I perfected it after working in many a bitchy office.
  • AchtungAchtung Posts: 10,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks both of you. I have actually tried this. I've said on numerous occasions that I'm really busy and then she just turns up again later in the day. Last week when I said I was busy, she went off and came back with some of her work and plonked herself down near me. I've also started leaving my area at the times I know she usually turns up, I've gone to the toilet etc only for her to be waiting there for me when I get back.
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung wrote: »
    There's this woman at work who's been there a couple of years now and in that time she's had two long term sickness absences and she's often also off for a week or so at a time. She's in a department near me but we have a shared staff base and she's hardly ever really spoken to me apart from the odd hello.

Anyway, she's managed to disgruntle loads of people in her department, putting complaints in left, right and centre about people and since then she's sort of latched on to me. She doesn't go in the staff base much anymore but she's started to come to my work area at breaks and lunchtimes (sometimes I work through so I can get off early) to off-load all her problems and I know this might sound mean of me, but I don't really want her hanging around me.

She's getting worse and worse like she's looking for me especially every day. Now she tells me she's facing a diciplinary for being aggressive to members of her department and then she was saying she wasn't very well, it's all getting to her etc and she was nearly crying. She's been doing this for a couple of weeks but is getting more intense almost as if she needs to see me to make her feel better. All I've done is listened and tried to give some constructive advice like I would with anyone who came to me about anything but I'm wishing I hadn't now because I'm sure she thinks we have some special friendship.

Do you have an occupational health dept on site? Refer her there. Or tell her straight you are unable to help and she needs to seek professional medical help.
    Don't let yourself be sucked into this woman's personal and work issues.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think using the word "busy" is a bit to general for this thick skinned woman. You need to tell her that you are not interested in office politics and are too busy to give her any time as you have deadlines and are not in any way a sympathetic person. Laugh and tell her no one comes to you for advice as you dont care. Come across as cold and unfeeling as at work, that´s al you want to be as you want to work and leave early. Remember that she is so thick skinned that being direct to her is necessary. Where as a sensitive person might take more offence, these type of people need telling straight. She is a person who is being disciplinned for being aggressive...yes thick skinned through and through that one, Just tell her or a few tuttings and sighings when she parks her butt next to you with rolley eyes and say work time is for working,

Easy for me on my comfey sofa to say, but am urging you to bite the bullet and say it. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Achtung, you may have to put your foot down. It's hard to do it in a polite way but she'll wear you down if you don't.

It's nice that people can feel comfortable enough around you to feel like they can off load but you have to watch you don't get dragged down with them. When you get it long enough they turn you into doom and gloom. It's one thing to be a shoulder to cry on here and there but not on a constant regular basis, especially when the problems you're hearing are the same thing over and over.

Politely mention that she should consider something from the doctor to help her cope and keep slipping it in. Keep saying the same thing until she gets fed up of hearing it and either 1. does something about it or 2. gets fed up of hearing it and finds somebody else to moan to :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do you have an occupational health dept on site? Refer her there. Or tell her straight you are unable to help and she needs to seek professional medical help.
    Don't let yourself be sucked into this woman's personal and work issues.
    You know, I was actually thinking of something along those lines. I really do think she needs some sort of counselling to help her with her problems. There is an out of house confidential counselling service attached to our work and I might mention this to her. The thing is, this woman seems like the type who won't take no for an answer. I feel really uncomfortable with her coming to see me all the time but I think she's just going to persist.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Flossychick and OhDamm, I am going to have to be more direct - even though it does make me feel mean - but underneath I want this to stop.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,044
    Forum Member
    Do you have conference call meetings? If so, you could book one at the time she normally appears. It will pop up in your Outlook and request you to dial in. Or you could set your mobile to speed-dial...or even you could have the speaking clock dial you. Whatever, make out that you have tel-meeting or important call to attend. Don't apologise. Just pick up the phone and turn your back on her.

Unfortunately, the only way to deal with people like this is to give them short shrift. It sounds really harsh but you're obviously a nice, polite person of whom some will try to take advantage. I'm the same - polite and smiley so it gives some people all the reason they need to off-load or take advantage. Recently one particular chap, much older than me, kept coming over to me as soon as he saw me arrive. He had made lots of incorrect assumptions about me and talked to me as if we were friends, kept off-loading about his life and also kept giving me advice about my work (which I carried on doing when he was there) - it was clear his mind had been working over-time. Anyway, I was quite angry inside and I thought I would explode if he came over one more time. I hadn't been giving out any signals or inclination that I wished to talk/be his friend and this really bugged me. My father told me to just to simply ignore him and if it seemed rude, then so what, it's rude of him to keep encroaching. I took his advice so when he next came over I carried on with what I was doing and I certainly didn't get into any conversation with him. A few times I cut across him and said "too busy now thanks" which sounded really rude to me but it's worked. He doesn't come over any more and I'm left in peace to get on with my work.
  • stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Cold and bitchy always works. The more detached from her the less appealing you become.
  • danletodanleto Posts: 2,777
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I am here to work, get money and then bugger off. I am not a counsellor, so leave me alone please."

There you go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you need to make it clear you don't want to get involved pretty quickly, or you'll find yourself sucked in a lot further than necessary.

I know you've said you work through breaks so you can leave a bit earlier, but perhaps for the next week make sure you do take them away6 from your desk. Go for a walk, get some fresh air or whatever, just don't be at your desk when she calls (loo breaks generally only take a few minutes, so you need to make your absences longer than that, too).

Do you have the option of working from home? I've always been lucky enough to be able to, and if you can it'd be a good way of staying clear of her. If she moans that you've not been around, say that you've been busy with work, and that if she needs to talk to someone then she should contact your staff support service.

I know it's a pain in the arse, and unfair to an extent, but you need to make yourself unavailable to her.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks, you're right, I need to break the cycle.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    honestly this is the last place to look for advice on a subject like this most of the peope here are miserable ignorant bastards

So think of it like this how would you like someone to treat you if the role was reversed hopefully with more compasion than has been offered so far
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "I can't talk now - I've got work to finish - sorry about that."
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kennybones wrote: »
    honestly this is the last place to look for advice on a subject like this most of the peope here are miserable ignorant bastards

So think of it like this how would you like someone to treat you if the role was reversed hopefully with more compasion than has been offered so far
    That's what's troubling me. I am a compassionate person (or at least I think I am), yet this woman has homed in on me and it's difficult to explain but it seems like she's the cause of her own problems and she's just using me as some sort of soundmat and I believe (from what she's said), she has a history of this sort of thing and she isn't really after advice which she can act constructively on but she needs a fix of someone saying something nice to her then she'll come back the next day for another fix. Surely that isn't helpful at all - to me or her!
  • cosmocosmo Posts: 26,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's what's troubling me. I am a compassionate person (or at least I think I am), yet this woman has homed in on me and it's difficult to explain but it seems like she's the cause of her own problems and she's just using me as some sort of soundmat and I believe (from what she's said), she has a history of this sort of thing and she isn't really after advice which she can act constructively on but she needs a fix of someone saying something nice to her then she'll come back the next day for another fix. Surely that isn't helpful at all - to me or her!

She's a nuisance.

Get shot of her for your own good.
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wanted to share my sympathies Achtung as I have a colleague going through a messy time and trying to involve me, following hot on the heels of a since former colleague who sounds much like your nuisance. I started off by being polite and let her weep on my shoulder but it rapidly became every lunchhour of listening to her moan about her bloke, her kids and me going home thinking how lucky she is to have children.. lots of other stuff there before any DS'rs jump on me for being harsh, I'm not going to hijack a thead. I have had to work through lunch hours as you're doing Achtung but it got silly. Now each time she started, I merely tell her to talk to Relate or her GP, still friendly but I no longer partake in the bigger conversation of 'awhing' and 'arring' and being sympathetic. I've always been taught to listen to others like any good friend but that's with friends we chose not ones that we happen to work with. Over time it's starting to work.

Can you make acquaintances with some of the people who have been upset by her? I do worry that others may avoid you if they think you are her friend and you'll be isolated by nothing dishonourable on your part. I hate to bring it down to playground politics since nobody goes to work to be friends but it helps if you do have someone to say hello to. This woman might be preventing you from this and at the same time, she might then distance herself from you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shadow27, the people she's disgruntled I've always spoken to and I get on with. Someone was looking for her the other day about some work related issue and they came to me to find her and made a comment about how they thought she'd be with me!

She just turns up, I don't have any special bond or friendship with her but other people are starting to think that now and if she's going around not getting on with people, I don't want them to think I'm stoking the fire.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Achtung. You need to be firm but fair. Explain that while you sympathise with the fact she is having problems you come to work to work and don't want to get involved in disputes between colleagues as it can breed misunderstanding and resentment. That can then affect the smooth running of the department and you don't want to do anything that could compromise your position. Tell her she is putting you in a difficult position. If it is easier, why not write it down in an email?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks *stargazer* - that's good advice. :)
  • shirlt9shirlt9 Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member

I would be careful giving advice to her..you dont know the history of why she is facing any disciplinary action..or why she seems to have rattled a few cages..I would be nervous that anything that I said..even nodding in sympathy or support could be passed on as "Achtung" said she agreed with me or "Achtung" said she thought....when in actual fact you have said nothing just nodded to shut her up..

I remmebr a mum at the school gates who used to have only bad thingds to say about the teaching staff..she would moan and moan to us other mums..we would listen to be polite and to begin with would offer our sympathy and support until the penny dropped that "everyone" was wrong according to her..then we just stood nodding to be polite..next minute me and another mum heard through the grapevine that she had gone into school talking to teachers saying "shirlt9" says this and I agree with her..when in fact I had said nothing of the sort and just nodded when she had said it..I went into school and set the record straight as in..look if I have any problems with anything you will hear it direct through me and not through this third party..I explained and the school staff understood..

Be careful you dont get dragged down with her..be firm now before its too late..go see management to put yourself striaght if need be..people like her can be dangerous and rock the boat of others..the way I see it we all have our own problems to sort out now and again..we dont need dragging into others if they are self inflicted!
  • Shadow27Shadow27 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shadow27, the people she's disgruntled I've always spoken to and I get on with. Someone was looking for her the other day about some work related issue and they came to me to find her and made a comment about how they thought she'd be with me!

She just turns up, I don't have any special bond or friendship with her but other people are starting to think that now and if she's going around not getting on with people, I don't want them to think I'm stoking the fire.

It's so tough isn't it :) When I started in the job I'm in now I was dragged into a former colleague's problems which sound so much like this person who is haunting you. I had no idea it was all in her head and found I was utterly isolated from other work colleagues who she warned off as if she wanted to keep me to herself in some odd way. I had no idea until she upped and handed in her notice one day having been heading to a disciplinary. People are very odd. Now that this new colleague is also being a little embracing, I've learnt to step away to save my own sanity. If anything take from it that you are a nice person, a small crumb of comfort!

I like shirlt9 advice, take it higher up the chain if you must and look after yourself and your reputation.

Good luck.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,717
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with those who say blunt is best. I've been in this situation with someone who didn't give me the time of day until virtually everyone else fell out with her, then she regaled me with every bit of her life, from genuine issues at work to the progress of her piles. I should have marked her card sooner, but I thought diplomatic and discreet was best, and all being subtle got me was various stages of oh, ooh and eewww.

The talk about her piles was the point of no return for me, so I told her that there was some things I'd never feel deprived for not knowing about, and the state of her backside was one of them. I also wouldn't fall apart for not knowing about her work problems so, while I understood they might be difficult for her to cope with, there were channels to go through and HR or her GP could help with that. They were paid to listen and advise, I wasn't, so I'd appreciate it if she kept every bit of her business to herself in future. She hovered at that stage where you're not sure whether someone's going to kick off or cry, so I walked off to the photocopier and when I got back she'd gone. She never bothered me again. You can't hint with these people and hope they get the message that way, because they never do, as they see their issues as far bigger than anything you might have on your plate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree with those who say blunt is best. I've been in this situation with someone who didn't give me the time of day until virtually everyone else fell out with her, then she regaled me with every bit of her life, from genuine issues at work to the progress of her piles. I should have marked her card sooner, but I thought diplomatic and discreet was best, and all being subtle got me was various stages of oh, ooh and eewww.

The talk about her piles was the point of no return for me, so I told her that there was some things I'd never feel deprived for not knowing about, and the state of her backside was one of them. I also wouldn't fall apart for not knowing about her work problems so, while I understood they might be difficult for her to cope with, there were channels to go through and HR or her GP could help with that. They were paid to listen and advise, I wasn't, so I'd appreciate it if she kept every bit of her business to herself in future. She hovered at that stage where you're not sure whether someone's going to kick off or cry, so I walked off to the photocopier and when I got back she'd gone. She never bothered me again. You can't hint with these people and hope they get the message that way, because they never do, as they see their issues as far bigger than anything you might have on your plate.

You're making me laugh a bit because she has actually told me about her IBS, lol.

You're right though, there are people payed to listen to all of this and I'm not her doctor/therapist/counsellor/best friend and I just know she will go on and on and on unless I kindly let her know that I don't want to deal with this every day at work.