are the police allowed to search people on their computer?

Mrs.XMrs.X Posts: 62
Forum Member
I got an email recently from a guy I used to go to school with, he said he got my email from a girl I know also from school.

It was a basic email, basically asking how I had been, what I was up to lately etc.

I replied and told him basic stuff, such as I live with my partner and have a little boy.

He then got back to me telling me he had been a police officer for a few years now and that he had "checked the work computer to see if anything came up" (about me) before he decided if he was keeping in touch with me or not. (no chance of that now)

He then went on to tell me about the time I was arrested when I was 17 years old. I did something minor ( I stole a small item from a shop) I havent been in trouble since and I learned my lesson. He also told me my old address etc.

My question is, is he actually allowed to do this? I didnt think they could just randomly check up on people unless they had a reason to do so? or am I worng?

I know what I did was wrong, but it was over 11 years ago, and theres no way he got this information from anyone else as I have never told anyone I know. It sounds stupid but I feel a bit violated that he could see all this info about me and he had no reason to see it in the first place.

Comments

• Born FreeBorn Free Posts: 610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How recent was this email?
  • leopard_printleopard_print Posts: 1,403
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure its illegal. I'm sure plenty do check up on others but he's pretty stupid to repeat what he found out.

Think there was something in the paper a while back about a case where they discovered someone had been looking up their neighbours.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say no, he isn't. He can't use the system to decide whether or not to stay in touch with people he went to school with!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know for sure, but surely that contravenes data protection laws? Especially if he's no longer a policeman but still has access to personal details.

I'm sure someone will know more....but it all seems very dodgy to me and I'd be annoyed if I was you
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mrs.X wrote: »
    I got an email recently from a guy I used to go to school with, he said he got my email from a girl I know also from school.

It was a basic email, basically asking how I had been, what I was up to lately etc.

I replied and told him basic stuff, such as I live with my partner and have a little boy.

He then got back to me telling me he had been a police officer for a few years and that he had "checked the work computer to see if anything came up" (about me) before he decided if he was keeping in touch with me or not. (no chance of that now)

He then went on to tell me about the time I was arrested when I was 17 years old. I did something minor ( I stole a small item from a shop) I havent been in trouble since and I learned my lesson. He also told me my old address etc.

My question is, is he actually allowed to do this? I didnt think they could just randomly check up on people unless they had a reason to do so? or am I worng?

I know what I did was wrong, but it was over 11 years ago, and theres no way he got this information from anyone else as I have never told anyone I know. It sounds stupid but I feel a bit violated that he could see all this info about me and he had no reason to see it in the first place.

As far I'm aware this is illegal. I imagine many do it but don't say anything. Very naughty, I'd have his balls chopped off for that :D
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    what a tosser, creepy too.
  • alfiewozerealfiewozere Posts: 29,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a police officer that used to live near me who took great delight in bragging about how he looked people up on the work computer to check them out. He was using it as a way of almost stalking people. I discussed this guy with a friend who is also a police officer - to cut a long story short, the original guy is no longer in the police force, he got sacked, and is now a gardener. They are definitely not allowed to do it.
  • SecretSmilerSecretSmiler Posts: 1,015
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    absolutely not allowed to do this
  • DoctorQuiDoctorQui Posts: 6,428
    Forum Member
    Not illegal but a disciplinary offence if he was still a police officer.

The PNC is for use by operational police officers and certain civiliaan officers for the purpose of crime prevention and detection. To simply look something up for personal gain, whether that is a person check a vehicle check or aanything else, contravenes the DPA. I had a colleague who looked up his ex wife's partners address by using a vehicle registration number. His electronic fingerprints were all over the search and when he was asked why he searched, he could not provide a valid reason. he was suspended while he was disciplined.

If he is now an ex police officer, there is little to be gained by complaining.

I am a former police officer, but this person was not me, I left honourably:)
  • Mrs.XMrs.X Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    what a tosser, creepy too.
    Thats how I feel to be honest, I couldnt really care less that he knows what I did, It was a long time ago and it was a stupid thing for me to do, but I felt creeped out by it in a way as if I wanted people to know I would have told them myself.

Someboy asked how recent the email was, I got it last monday..
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DoctorQui wrote: »
    Not illegal but a disciplinary offence if he was still a police officer.

It is an offence under the Computer Misuse Act.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was a police officer that used to live near me who took great delight in bragging about how he looked people up on the work computer to check them out. He was using it as a way of almost stalking people. I discussed this guy with a friend who is also a police officer - to cut a long story short, the original guy is no longer in the police force, he got sacked, and is now a gardener. They are definitely not allowed to do it.

Wouldn't be happy with him as a gardener for me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 250
    Forum Member
    That is very creepy. If it were me I would inform the police, show them the email and say that I was concerned at how this man (essentially now a stranger as you have not seen him in over 11 years) had accessed private details.

It is a bit stalkerish. If I wanted to find someone from my past I am sure there are other ways to go about it than checking police databases. Also, this is probably not the first time he has done this, maybe he is looking up people he used to know to try and find out about their past and he possibly might be looking for things (such as criminal records) to blackmail them? Maybe he was sounding you out about your criminal record to see how you would react and if he would be able to use it against you? (It might seem far fetched but stranger things have happened).

If he is no longer a police officer, how long has he held this information and why has he decided to contact you now?

It all seems very strange. I personally wouldn't ignore it, I would go to the police and show them the email and explain any concerns.
  • dodgygeezadodgygeeza Posts: 6,350
    Forum Member
    Most definitely not allowed and if his superiors find out he'll most likely be shown the door pretty sharpish!
  • esquilaxesquilax Posts: 476
    Forum Member
    Might it be possible that the girl he got your email address from mentioned your arrest, and he thought it would be funny to pretend to have been a policeman and looked you up on their database?
  • eluf38eluf38 Posts: 4,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JellyCrisp wrote: »
    That is very creepy. If it were me I would inform the police, show them the email and say that I was concerned at how this man (essentially now a stranger as you have not seen him in over 11 years) had accessed private details.

It is a bit stalkerish. If I wanted to find someone from my past I am sure there are other ways to go about it than checking police databases. Also, this is probably not the first time he has done this, maybe he is looking up people he used to know to try and find out about their past and he possibly might be looking for things (such as criminal records) to blackmail them? Maybe he was sounding you out about your criminal record to see how you would react and if he would be able to use it against you? (It might seem far fetched but stranger things have happened).

If he is no longer a police officer, how long has he held this information and why has he decided to contact you now?

It all seems very strange. I personally wouldn't ignore it, I would go to the police and show them the email and explain any concerns.

This. Would definately report the creep - and keep a copy of any messages off him as proof. What sort of normal human being goes around taunting 'I know you've been arrested'?
  • Kingsd316Kingsd316 Posts: 892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you did something when you were 17 and you are now 18 or over the record should have been deleted, including any interviews you had, this may have changed but when i turned 18, i got a call from the police asking if i would like to pick up my interview tape or am i happy for them to destroy it,

I might be wrong though, as it might have been when i was 16, as my (wrongly might i add cough cough) arrest was when i was 14
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reading the OP it appears he is still in the police. I'm sure he has committed an offence.

Report him.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,524
    Forum Member
    Well as a serving police sergeant I can categorically tell you he is committing a disciplinary offence.

He is not allowed to use either the PNC or his own forces computer system unless for crime prevention/detection purposes.

He is breaching the DPA in doing so.

You should be contacting his force and making a complaint immediatley. This will be taken seriously I can assure you.

I have know of at least 2 officers in Hampshire dismissed for doing just this in the past year.

He sounds a complete idiot and there should be no place in the job for people like him IMO
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree completely with stumblebum. That is a major no no and you should report him without delay.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm more concerned about the freakish angle of it - why would you be looking up people you used to know years ago, on the PNC then telling them about it - he sounds like a nutter.

TBH I'd be all for reporting him, but if that is how he behaves, he doesn't sound a particularly reasonable bloke
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Nosey' police officer in court for snooping at cases

Apparently he was fined £4,800:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-11084758

I wonder why the man referred to in the opening post had been a police officer for just a few years? Dismissed from the service, maybe? Might be worth Googling for his name.
  • rustybucketrustybucket Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    You need to report this to the police force that he works for. Who else has he done this too?

It is gross misconduct and he should lose his job over this.

By the way I'm a copper and am disgusted by his abuse of position. This needs to be investigated.