Options

Is Lana Del Rey the most talented star of the last few years??

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I think Florence is a much better musician imho.

No doubt about her talent, the op would better change the title in "one of the most", and I woluld also mention Emeli(today married), Ellie, Kathy B, maybe Birdy and some other more. But what I find the most disturbing is, there are hardly new male artists.
  • Options
    Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rbautz wrote: »
    No doubt about her talent

Oh! yes there is, that's only your opinion.There's no doubt that she uses Celemony Melodyne pitch correction in the studio - that's a fact.You must be on a different planet if you haven't noticed the criticism of her live performances - people will always defend her as far as that goes - I'm not one of them I'm afraid.
    http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=artists_kahne
    http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/how-to-create-drowsy-lana-del-rey-style-vocals-531265/1
  • Options
    benana93benana93 Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh! yes there is, that's only your opinion.There's no doubt that she uses Celemony Melodyne pitch correction in the studio - that's a fact.You must be on a different planet if you haven't noticed the criticism of her live performances - people will always defend her as far as that goes - I'm not one of them I'm afraid.
    http://www.musicradar.com/tuition/tech/how-to-create-drowsy-lana-del-rey-style-vocals-531265/1

That David Kahne guy isn't listed anywhere in the credits for Born to Die.. and that other website is just saying how you can create vocals which are similar to Lana's. There's nothing there to suggest that that's what she uses. :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

as long as she don't use auto-tune. I mean talent as a whole thing (don't tell me that Freddy or David uses technology at their time also, for me Kany West is one of the most brilliant musician of our time, sure he plays only unplugged (sracasm))
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've just heard a new Lana Del Rey song called 'Damn You' and its one of the best songs I have ever heard. This woman is serious TALENT. She blows the likes of Katy Perry and Rihanna out of the water.

If Lana keeps progressing as an artist like this she is going to be a MASSIVE star in a few years time.

No she is not the most talented star in the last few years. the most talented female over the last few years is taylor swift, thats without a shadow of a doubt.
    Just liking one song of LDR dont make her the most talented, also she dont write her own songs either, I may be wrong on this but was always of the opinion she co-writes with many others. Even a reality show winner wrote a song for her, cant think of his name now, some kid from a few years back.
    I am not a massive Katy Perry fan but I dont think she blows katy perry out of the water at all, yes katy writes pop songs but when you consider what KP has achieved both as a songwriter and live performer then you cant really say that at all.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No not even close
  • Options
    gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benana93 wrote: »
    That David Kahne guy isn't listed anywhere in the credits for Born to Die.. and that other website is just saying how you can create vocals which are similar to Lana's. There's nothing there to suggest that that's what she uses. :confused:

he worked with her previously, on her earlier recordings that were taken out of circulation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No she is not the most talented star in the last few years. the most talented female over the last few years is taylor swift, thats without a shadow of a doubt.
    Just liking one song of LDR dont make her the most talented, also she dont write her own songs either, I may be wrong on this but was always of the opinion she co-writes with many others. Even a reality show winner wrote a song for her, cant think of his name now, some kid from a few years back.
    I am not a massive Katy Perry fan but I dont think she blows katy perry out of the water at all, yes katy writes pop songs but when you consider what KP has achieved both as a songwriter and live performer then you cant really say that at all.

They call Lana here in Germany Superstar, bwahaa :D
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member

She's written many many songs on her own (just in case you didn't know Elizabeth Grant is Lana's legal name). Including the song which prompted this thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MrIndustry/sandbox/List_of_unreleased_Lana_Del_Rey_songs

But there's nothing wrong with co-writing, just ask your fave. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »
    She's written many many songs on her own (just in case you didn't know Elizabeth Grant is Lana's legal name). Including the song which prompted this thread.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:MrIndustry/sandbox/List_of_unreleased_Lana_Del_Rey_songs

But there's nothing wrong with co-writing, just ask your fave. :D

Her latest album is almost totally co-written,, david snedon, thats the reality show winner who wrote a song with her, knew I was right.

Yes taylor will have co-written a few tracks on her new album, I wont deny that buts thats for a particular reason its not because she needs others help. And you know my views on it as well, not very happy as it appears to be she may be selling out.

LDR is very talented, (far more talented then your fav :)) but she is not the most talented star of the last few years.
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    "Pure shite" does not sell in the millions WW and gather a strong fanbase.

It can...and it has ;-)
  • Options
    gav016gav016 Posts: 5,836
    Forum Member
    I think Lana is an amazing talent - one of the best songwriters to emerge in recent years (yes, she co-writes, but I don't think that negates any of her talent). Her voice is incredible on record, even if she has been a bit patchy live, but IMO what really sets her apart is her eye for visuals - she gets everything correct with regards to videos, styling, album artwork, all of which really enhance her work and really take her to the next level. Born To Die is easily my most played album over the past year and I'm still not bored of it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    She wrote every song on BTD geordielady apart from a line in Lolita & Diet Mountain Dew. Just listen to her album 'Lana Del Ray a.k.a. Lizzy Grant' she wrote all of those songs too.
  • Options
    Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Thats your opinion but its certainly not fact. Outside of the American Country scene Taylor isn't really all that. She is just another average popstar in that respect. You cannot compare Lana and Taylor at all. Lana also does write her own material, is an incredible actress and has beauty that makes Hollywood directors scream. Lana is a one off in this current climate. I see lots of Amy Winehouse in Lana. Lana is just as unique. They were cut from the same cloth.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sammami wrote: »
    She wrote every song on BTD geordielady apart from a line in Lolita & Diet Mountain Dew. Just listen to her album 'Lana Del Ray a.k.a. Lizzy Grant' she wrote all of those songs too.

Not according to wikipedia, most are co-writes.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 908
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Off To The Races, National Anthem etc disagree. "Pure shite" does not sell in the millions WW and gather a strong fanbase.

Cher Lloyd, Leona Lewis and Jessie J say hai.

Ope wait that's an opinion. Careful not to cut yourself.

I'm okay with her. I'm not a die hard fan and there's not much in her music that's readily jumping out at me, but if others find her music listenable then that's just the way it is. Only thing that gets me is when people say I'm wrong in my opinions for not swooning over her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lana Del Rey is such a recording industry 'insider' now, nobody can have an objective opinion about her - including myself, even though I try to be objective about her ;)

These are the people that are more responsible for her big break through more than anything http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr12/articles/it-0412.htm.
    Perhaps I was wrong about Lizzy Grant having alot of Melodyne on her 'Video Games' track (probably a little bit though).They actually slowed down the track significantly - which made her voice sound much deeper (which is a trick that was used quite alot in 'older' ('50's, '60's) recordings interestingly to my recollection - which maybe helps give it a retro feel) & they also say that she had alot of timing problems when recording the initial piano demo version of the track with Justin Parker which they had to correct.Have noticed this when she sings live - she definately has problems keeping in time with any musical accompaniment (not mentioning her other problems as well :p).
    The truth is that if 'Video Games' didn't go viral (mp3 viral or not :p) or was a hyped track (virally marketed :p) hardly anyone would have known about her.

Still not convinced if she's authentic enough to keep her 'celebrity' status as a recording artist which important to maintream popularity going these days :rolleyes:.She'll definately struggle as a 'live' artist imo.

One thing I find fasinating around the 'story' of Lizzy Grant is the extreme ways the Major Label Recording Industry is willing to go to circumvent the neutralising (negative) effect of the 'intrerweb' on their 'hype machine'.

Interesting article http://dishmag.com/issue131/music/14113/the-rise-and-fall-and-rise-of-lana-del-rey/
    Extract "Once her name was cemented as the next big thing for 2012, Del Rey released a professionally crafted music video for the title track of her album, Born to Die. Instead of having another hand-crafted music video, this project was financed by a major label; filmed in a castle in France and directed by seasoned veteran Yoann Lemoine, who previously directed music videos for Taylor Swift and Katy Perry." :p
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lana is a vision, so yes she is the best new artist to have emerged in years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Lana is a vision, so yes she is the best new artist to have emerged in years.

More of a 'mirage' as far as I'm concerned :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Not according to wikipedia, most are co-writes.
    Yes dear... They co wrote the music with her, the instrumentals, not the lyrics.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sammami wrote: »
    Yes dear... They co wrote the music with her, the instrumentals, not the lyrics.

From article I posted above for 'video games' "We pulled the tempo back to almost 60bpm, like a dirge, almost as if the whole song was in slow motion. We also made a few changes to the lyrical content and the melody.”
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I didn't like her at first but her music is growing on me. I still don't like Video Games or Blue Jeans though. I think they're her two worst songs. I plan to buy the album at some point, but I've listened to some of it and National Anthem, This Is What Makes Us Girls, Off To The Races and Carmen are all good songs.
  • Options
    benana93benana93 Posts: 1,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    From article I posted above for 'video games' "We pulled the tempo back to almost 60bpm, like a dirge, almost as if the whole song was in slow motion. We also made a few changes to the lyrical content and the melody.”

Changes to the lyrical content could be removing some of the lyrics.. doesn't mean that they actually wrote any of it.
  • Options
    spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone seems to be looking really deeply into her and deconstructing everything but I just don't look at it like that.

In response to the op's question, I think she's one of the most talented stars in the last few years along with several others. I love her songwriting, her aesthetic, the accompanying visuals, just everything really. She'll always be a risk when it comes to performing live but I think it's stage fright that gets to her. I've seen her perform at smaller venues and she was just fantastic, brimming with confidence and stage presence. But then she's easily had some awful performances like SNL and gigs that involve big audiences. She seems to be improving though.

And the fact that a Taylor Swift fan is trying to slam Lana's writing ability is the best thing I've heard all day :D
  • Options
    konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I didn't like her at first but her music is growing on me. I still don't like Video Games or Blue Jeans though. I think they're her two worst songs. I plan to buy the album at some point, but I've listened to some of it and National Anthem, This Is What Makes Us Girls, Off To The Races and Carmen are all good songs.

It may be worth waiting for the re-release which will have 8 extra (new) tracks on it.