Options

Could Leona Lewis flop?

STACEYFISHERSTACEYFISHER Posts: 155
Forum Member
Will her new single flop like the last one or will it be a big success for her?

I can't understand many of the things she sings. Her diction is the worst at times.

I haven't heard Trouble on the radio yet.

Comments

• Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Its just outside top 100 on radio around 3 weeks from release. It'll be fine. It will sell her album which is the most important thing. She's never had a flop lead, especially with XF promo. They also are doing a big radio tour and TV promo for her. But they'll do it in the next 2 weeks for impact. They do work, even if mainstream isn't on your side (which it is for Leona). She's on the Radio 2 C list and Radio 1 B list, she'll be on the A list for both by late October.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    The diction can be an issue (I'd have thought not as she's classically trained) but it's much better now.
    The album so far sounds good, at least 7/10, and it's shaping up to be her best.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    both will peak high drop fast.

Only really peak high because of an X Factor performance. Let's face it, it's the only way she is EVER going to get a platinum album (200,000 even).
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think she will flop, but then i don't think whatever she releases from now and in the future will match the huge success she had with Spirit. Not that it matters but people are quick to label things a FLOP. Echo was labelled a flop and it wasn't. It under performed though.
  • Options
    bazztheman93bazztheman93 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It will do fine :) Top 3 positioning!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointless thread.
  • Options
    gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes she could. She also could do really well.

There, question answered. :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,139
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet another pointless thread
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pointless thread.

How is it pointless? Just because you refuse to beleive that queen Leona could possibly flop doesn't mean anyone else who dares to raise the question is 'pointless'

I think it's a big possibility. People have forgot about her, of course her hard core fan base (which is quite large) has stuck by her and will stick by her to the very end. But mainstream has moved on. They've picked up their new princess, Emile Sande who's sound is an evolution of Leonas current era. Glassheart isn't going to do her any favours either, whilst a breath of fresh air for her fans, casual listeners, imo, arnt going to buy into it as much as her label would like to think. Collide pt 2 is possibly on the horizon and we need to prepare ourselves :')

Flop is a big word though. Its also a word thats thrown about a lot without really knowing the facts. Alex Burke flopped this year. Deserving or not, she flopped. Echo didn't flop. Undersold? Now that's a different story. I'm almost 100% that this era isn't going to be the big bleeding love moment people want it to be. And all this is coming from a massive leona fan.

But regardless of weather it sells 100 million copies globally or 1000 copies globally, who cares? If your a fan you'll just be happy you've got the album finally and can enjoy the music. Who cares about sales these days realistically anyway?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    like some one posted earlier, it WILL chart high (her stan fans have had 3yrs to save their pennies and multi buy) BUT like most of her past single it will DROP fast out of the top 40, and THAT'S the problem
  • Options
    Eric_BlobEric_Blob Posts: 7,756
    Forum Member
    I'm sure it will go top 5, but the song will need support from Capital FM to get to #1 I think.
  • Options
    AlrightmateAlrightmate Posts: 73,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If only there was a series of The X Factor being broadcast at the moment.
    Is there a series of The X Factor on at the moment?
    Oh, yes it seems that there is.
    What a coincidence.
  • Options
    MaksonMakson Posts: 30,489
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Even if Trouble underperforms, Leona has an ace (Glassheart) up her sleeve.
  • Options
    RobertfitzRobertfitz Posts: 2,732
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Even if Trouble underperforms, Leona has an ace (Glassheart) up her sleeve.

That will also flop....
  • Options
    Master OzzyMaster Ozzy Posts: 18,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Simon will shove her down our throats. I think the single will get a decent first week chart peak after the XF performance, but I think it will fall down the charts quickly. I think the album will get a really good peak, but again I think it will fall quickly and not sell anywhere near what Echo did. If single 2 is Glassheart, then the album will probably rise again. However, the fact that we've been allowed to hear Glassheart and it had its premiere on radio the other day, makes me think it won't be the next single.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Robertfitz wrote: »
    But regardless of weather it sells 100 million copies globally or 1000 copies globally, who cares? If your a fan you'll just be happy you've got the album finally and can enjoy the music. Who cares about sales these days realistically anyway?

I don't know about you, but I sure do care about sales. I'll be happy that I have the album, but if she flops then ofcourse i'll be worried. It's all about the sales. If Leona doesn't have the sales then it will make everything more difficult for album #4. She'll spend a lot more time trying to figure out what went wrong and her career will probably go on hold. i'll not be able to 'enjoy the music.' And what does that hold for the future then? If she lost sales as time went on she'd inevitably be dropped and we'd hardly have anything from her then.

Though I agree with what you said about Echo. I wouldn't call it a flop, but say it under-performed. Spirit sold 7million of the back of 6 singles. Echo sold nearly 2 million with about 1.5 singles. If SyCo had released maybe 4 singles, then perhaps the album would have hopefully did a little better
    That will also flop....

If you're a "massive fan" why are you already calling GlassHeart as a flop when it's only been played on the radio? It's got a huge response so far, so you're jumping the gun a bit
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She could flop, of course she could. It would be very sad as she has bags of talent and she seems to be in it because of the music and not the fame (unlike most of the other of Syco's acts).

Leona is the last of the Syco acts/winners that hasn't so far failed (apart from last year's winning act) so if she can't succeed none of them can.

Her voice, her songs, her look is 100% as far as I'm concerned. She's up there with the best of UK talent.
  • Options
    Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Leona has had a weird career trajectory Spirti sold loads but had a short chart run considering it's sales there were gaps between the singles and the album rebounded with the re-release. Echo great lead single did well abum peaked then a gap of quite a while before the second single album dropped single flooped no more singles album under performed. Then a gap, then collide under performed, Album pushed back twice and here we are a good not strong lead single album will peak high and drop if only she had been managed better (i'm a casual fan not ahardcore BTW) she could have had a huge career as it stands i fear she has peaked.
  • Options
    RooftopcowboyRooftopcowboy Posts: 7,242
    Forum Member
    I think she's pretty much guaranteed a Top5 on the back of the XFactor performance (though ratings are down this year, and not every performer got a massive boost last series) what happens after that shapes the rest of her career. I don't think the public will allow her another 'comeback' if this one doesn't work after so many false-starts over the last few years
  • Options
    Scratchy7929Scratchy7929 Posts: 3,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the word FLOP needs a DS definition :p:confused:

I would have thought that a flop means 'a unit' brings in less returns than the initial investment - which is quite high with artists at the moment.
    If you follow the above 'definition' quite alot of top 40 uk singles artist's exist in flopidom as well.
    Trouble with Leona is that alot of 'initial investment' is front-loaded into this equation (although alot less than when she was at her peak).
    In the same way - what is chart success - if it's a commercial failure / returns less than initial investment to get that chart success.
    There are alot of non-charting (or have minor chart success) artist's who are achieving moderate commercial returns - are these type of artist's flops, due to the fact they are invisible to mainstream media.
  • Options
    Laura_xLaura_x Posts: 1,961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Any artist can ''flop''

SyCo have said the pre orders for GlassHeart are great! I do think Leona will get her 3rd number 1 album and it will go platnium!

She wont ever sell like she used to thats for sure but let's just see when the albums out hey :)
  • Options
    rivercity_rulesrivercity_rules Posts: 24,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this might be her time to actually make it, rather than flop.

I really like Trouble, it seems less "X Factor" of all the stuff she's done, if she gets one or two big hits from this album, it may finally make her a proper, massive star, she still relies on X Factor too much for my liking.
  • Options
    spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this might be her time to actually make it, rather than flop.

I really like Trouble, it seems less "X Factor" of all the stuff she's done, if she gets one or two big hits from this album, it may finally make her a proper, massive star, she still relies on X Factor too much for my liking.

I think alot of that comes with the label she's with. Judging by Labrinth's recent comments, it seems an X-Factor performance is compulsory if you're a Syco act.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member
    I think it'll just miss the top 10 and then drop quite quickly... Should've released Glassheart!!!!!!! It seems they're hoping that the fact that Emile Sande wrote it will sell it, but I don't think that's gonna happen...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How is it pointless? Just because you refuse to beleive that queen Leona could possibly flop doesn't mean anyone else who dares to raise the question is 'pointless'

I think it's a big possibility. People have forgot about her, of course her hard core fan base (which is quite large) has stuck by her and will stick by her to the very end. But mainstream has moved on. They've picked up their new princess, Emile Sande who's sound is an evolution of Leonas current era. Glassheart isn't going to do her any favours either, whilst a breath of fresh air for her fans, casual listeners, imo, arnt going to buy into it as much as her label would like to think. Collide pt 2 is possibly on the horizon and we need to prepare ourselves :')

Flop is a big word though. Its also a word thats thrown about a lot without really knowing the facts. Alex Burke flopped this year. Deserving or not, she flopped. Echo didn't flop. Undersold? Now that's a different story. I'm almost 100% that this era isn't going to be the big bleeding love moment people want it to be. And all this is coming from a massive leona fan.

I didn't say it was pointless because I'm a fan of Leona, although I like some of her music I do see she has a lot of talent, but what I meant when I said it was a pointless thread was because its just created to wind her fans up and be annoying really - Leona has put all this work in and I think she deserves a little bit of credit and not spiteful threads like ' she's gonna fail' grow up!