Could Leona Lewis flop?

Comments

• Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a pointless thread when you think about it. Any artist in the world can flop, so the obvious answer is "yes". Other than that, what else is to say? We haven't heard all of Glassheart yet, it's impossible to judge how well Leona's comeback will go at this point.
  • gavin shipmangavin shipman Posts: 9,720
    Forum Member
    Why isn't Glassheart being released first?

It would definitely go to #1 and make sure the album sells well.

I hope Leona does very well she deserves it and cares about the music and not the fame.
  • spaceoddityspaceoddity Posts: 4,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I hope Leona does very well she deserves it and cares about the music and not the fame.

While Glassheart is a strong single, it has no crossover appeal. Trouble, while not as instant, can be played on Radio 1, 2 etc due to the version with the rapper and the one without. Therefore all audiences are covered, meaning big album sales, or so their hoping. Glassheart is a perfect follow up though, unless there's something just as good or better, I hope they go with it for single number 2.
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is a pointless thread when you think about it. Any artist in the world can flop, so the obvious answer is "yes". Other than that, what else is to say? We haven't heard all of Glassheart yet, it's impossible to judge how well Leona's comeback will go at this point.

The op outlined the thread was about the single not the album.

I agree with LifeOfBrian. It will probably have a decent debut but then drop off pretty fast. I think Leona's career is sadly now in terminal decline due to appalling mismanagement.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any other newish X Factorish artist I'd agree that the signs aren't good, but I think Leona is the one exception. Not only is she the postergirl of the X Factor she is the postergirl of all talent shows. She is the benchmark everyone compares themselves to in terms of success.

The jury is still out but Trouble, and particularly Glassheart, has to succeed.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,172
    Forum Member
    flop single for trouble or flop album?

I dont think that she will flop ...but she will have a hard time in America to regain attention. Glassheart is a great dance track but perhaps the delay has hindered its intended impact. It sounds like a cross between elpehant and starships in places. If it was released before them it couold have been a killer hit but now it sounds a little derrivative and i feel may remain as an album track.

Her focus should now be on touring and building a rep as a live performer and then she will be able to release artistic albums
  • AmazingAmazing Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flop single for trouble or flop album?

I dont think that she will flop ...but she will have a hard time in America to regain attention. Glassheart is a great dance track but perhaps the delay has hindered its intended impact. It sounds like a cross between elpehant and starships in places. If it was released before them it couold have been a killer hit but now it sounds a little derrivative and i feel may remain as an album track.

Her focus should now be on touring and building a rep as a live performer and then she will be able to release artistic albums

Couldn't agree more. She needs to start giving something back if she is to continue to be suuccessful.
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if joe mcelderry can get a top 10 album with only one tv apperance on loose women then leona can too.
    However joe has a very good label behind him decca.
    Syco are a joke they promote an act on red or black or x factor or a documentary with susan boyle's last album.
    Then that's it the promo for echo was poor I wish leona could leave that label joe mcelderry is on his 4th album and won x factor in 2009 leona on her second and she won 2005.
    Simon and his poor excuse for a record label need to get themselevs together.
  • Dave0893Dave0893 Posts: 13,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    if joe mcelderry can get a top 10 album with only one tv apperance on loose women then leona can too.
    However joe has a very good label behind him decca.
    Syco are a joke they promote an act on red or black or x factor or a documentary with susan boyle's last album.
    Then that's it the promo for echo was poor I wish leona could leave that label joe mcelderry is on his 4th album and won x factor in 2009 leona on her second and she won 2005.
    Simon and his poor excuse for a record label need to get themselevs together.

Leona is on her third album, but I get your point.

Though this time around Syco are actually doing things right for the most part, just a couple of blits along the way.
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    depends on the promo though she needs more than one apperance on x factor a proper radio tour.
    And lots of tv apperances.
  • Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    depends on the promo though she needs more than one apperance on x factor a proper radio tour.
    And lots of tv apperances.

I don't know if she's finished the radio tour, but she has been around quite a lot so far, also she's due on X-Factor and Alan Carr, that's as much as we know at the moment. Rumour had it she was on Jonathan Ross as well but I think it was just a rumour
  • gelbma0991gelbma0991 Posts: 4,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    I don't know if she's finished the radio tour, but she has been around quite a lot so far, also she's due on X-Factor and Alan Carr, that's as much as we know at the moment. Rumour had it she was on Jonathan Ross as well but I think it was just a rumour

Yeah she's finished it for regional radio, I imagine she'll be on a few national shows nearer the time... but a lot of the interviews she recorded are being held back for October, there was only one or two that actually aired at the time I think.

She's doing more promo than she did for the last album as far as I know, which is good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,771
    Forum Member
    Trouble will perform similarly to 'Happy' and 'Collide', Top 10 peak the week of release and then it will sink like a stone. In other words another awful lead single, and another flop.

Who the hell picks these lead singles for her ? :confused:

A lead single sets the tone for the entire era, once that flops the era is over 9/10 times. It doesn't matter how good the follow up releases might be. Any buzz that was built up fizzles out and radio and the public simply move on.

This will be a repeat of the Echo era but with lower sales.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I heard Trouble for the first time today on the radio and really liked it. I think it could do quite well. I'm no Leona fan either. :D
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Glassheart might perform better as a single but not as an album seller, IMO. It's not particularly "Leona" and to sell an album you want to have people connect to the artist rather than just the song.

Trouble is an attempt to stay "Leona-like". It's a decent enough song and a lot better than Collide but I'm a bit concerned that it lacks the big impact she needed for her return. I can't understand why they went away for a year and came back with the exact same track they were going to go with anyway. I thought it would grow a bit more than it has although the fact that radio isn't really behind it probably doesn't help.

And while I quite like Glassheart, I'm not sure it's right for her and if it's the second single then it's not really a clear message on the album to go from Trouble to that in the space of a few months. It goes back to the issue that has been clear through the whole third album process - there seems to be a lack of direction. But, she's twenty something years old so maybe she doesn't want to do Bleeding Love ballads all the time.

One TV performance can change a lot - but does Trouble lend itself to that? I'm not so sure and to be honest, I'm starting to think she could be in a bit of trouble (pardon the pun).
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    mm83 wrote: »
    Trouble will perform similarly to 'Happy' and 'Collide', Top 10 peak the week of release and then it will sink like a stone. In other words another awful lead single, and another flop.

Who the hell picks these lead singles for her ? :confused:

A lead single sets the tone for the entire era, once that flops the era is over 9/10 times. It doesn't matter how good the follow up releases might be. Any buzz that was built up fizzles out and radio and the public simply move on.

This will be a repeat of the Echo era but with lower sales.

Spot on
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    I honestly don't think the public are interested no matter what single is released. That's the problem here.
  • StratusSphereStratusSphere Posts: 2,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shes been away too long. There was no Adele when she released her last album, or in fact Lady Gaga or any of her competitors now, and Rihanna wasnt so big and Mariah was away or something.

She hasnt had an impact. She can sell Christmas albums on her name but I dont know how well singles will do still. And shes caught between a rock and a hard place between retaining her classic sound or going modern.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think in general Leona from the get go has been promoted badly i'm not a huge fan but really for a ''big star'' she hardly gets a look in as Syco seemingly have it in their head she is Leona therefore she wil sell regardless. Plus as others have pointed out Leona was the one sole balladeer of note that we had around echo now we have Emeli Sande, Adele and even for non pop fans the likes of Florence Welch who all have cross over appeal and huge sales Leona is just now one in a sea of female stars with big voices and in all honesty her material doesn't hold up along with the fact she hasn't got huge star quality. Will she fade away unlikely but her sales are likely to diminsh so her best bet is to become a touring artist.
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I think in general Leona from the get go has been promoted badly i'm not a huge fan but really for a ''big star'' she hardly gets a look in as Syco seemingly have it in their head she is Leona therefore she wil sell regardless. Plus as others have pointed out Leona was the one sole balladeer of note that we had around echo now we have Emeli Sande, Adele and even for non pop fans the likes of Florence Welch who all have cross over appeal and huge sales Leona is just now one in a sea of female stars with big voices and in all honesty her material doesn't hold up along with the fact she hasn't got huge star quality. Will she fade away unlikely but her sales are likely to diminsh so her best bet is to become a touring artist.

it's that, and nothing more. It's not about the length of time someone is away or who else is about crowding the market. If Adele returns with something ordinary then she will go the same way. Nobody is bigger than their material*

*edit: except certain boybands;)
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,483
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The incredibly dull Fireflies won't change her album's fortunes around...
  • konebyvaxkonebyvax Posts: 9,120
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »

My speculation is that she doesn't love the music industry enough to do this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The thing here is Leona's music is too predictable. When you look at the great artists in the past - Michael Jackson, Madonna, Prince etc. - you always wondered what they were going to do next.

With Leona, more than any other person I can think of, you know that her next song with be ballad-led, which quarter/halfway though either a beat will kick in or it will swell up to a crescendo with the choir. She needs to surprise us - and I don't think she can anymore.
  • AmazingAmazing Posts: 1,541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »

I agree or she'd have played more live gigs in the Uk over the last 6 years. One tour doesn't strike me as someone who loves performing.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    konebyvax wrote: »

I have to agree in the past 5 years since Spirit she rarely seems to stick around for long periods of time let alone enoguh to tour at length she pops up releases then fades and disappears to make another record where are the promo tours the festival apperances the arena tours just 1 in all that time and odd appearences dotted around.