Options

Mary J Blige - The London Sessions

mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Mary has teamed up with a host of british artists for her new album including Disclosure , Naughty boy, Sam smith and more.
London sessions trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5NU89g6y0I

Right now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-soKc-Hws
Therapy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdMvyYUzVDQ

what do you think of the music, and this new direction she is taking?
i think its great that she is evolving and it also will be good for british music stateside.

Comments

• Options
    johnboybetterjohnboybetter Posts: 1,407
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely love it!

So glad she has changed up her style!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Absolutely love it!

So glad she has changed up her style!

Its refreshing :) she's one step ahead of the pack (again)
  • Options
    itunesfestival2itunesfestival2 Posts: 862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw her at the iTunes Festival tonight and she was INCREDIBLE. Her new tracks, especially Right Now and the Sam Smith-penned songs, sounds up their with her best work. I wasn't a huge Mary fan before the gig tonight, and now I'm properly hyped for this album!
  • Options
    davidjohn1985davidjohn1985 Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Whens it out
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whens it out

End of November, 24th if I remember correctly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whens it out

Comes out in early december, if you pre-order you get 'Therapy' instantly for free.
    'Right now' hits the radio end of next month.
  • Options
    Toy_HeroToy_Hero Posts: 11,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really looking forward to this. Nice to see the album making movement on iTunes on pre-orders. I hope this album is a success in the UK for Mary. She hasn't had decent chart success in the UK since Just Fine / Growing Pains, so I hope this might actually be another Top 10 album for her.

I'm loving Whole Damn Year. It sounds like classic Mary but with a fresh sound.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go_IjcRahlg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Toy_Hero wrote: »
    Really looking forward to this. Nice to see the album making movement on iTunes on pre-orders. I hope this album is a success in the UK for Mary. She hasn't had decent chart success in the UK since Just Fine / Growing Pains, so I hope this might actually be another Top 10 album for her.

I'm loving Whole Damn Year. It sounds like classic Mary but with a fresh sound.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go_IjcRahlg

Her music is better when her personal life is not going so well. She really has taken her fans on a journey over the years,seems at her most creative when she is heartbroken. she was to happy after no more drama. So in a twisted and selfish way im glad she has split from her husband because it means we can have some more great music again :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mialicious wrote: »
    Her music is better when her personal life is not going so well. She really has taken her fans on a journey over the years,seems at her most creative when she is heartbroken. she was to happy after no more drama. So in a twisted and selfish way im glad she has split from her husband because it means we can have some more great music again :p

Whaaaaat!? Have Mary and Kendu split? :o God I didn't even know that. But I do agree, I love Mary when she's at her most vulnerable. No More Drama is still my favourite ever Mary song
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Sad but true. I've never understood why singers like Mariah, Whitney and Celine get held up as the great souls divas when MJB has more passion, heart and soul in her little finger than they have between the lot of them. She is a true soul legend who could be from another era.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    Sad but true. I've never understood why singers like Mariah, Whitney and Celine get held up as the great souls divas when MJB has more passion, heart and soul in her little finger than they have between the lot of them. She is a true soul legend who could be from another era.

I guess its because her voice isn't flawless, but i think her imperfections make her more human when she's pouring her heart out, she is more down to earth than the other three you mentioned but she doesn't sell as much. she's a favourite artist, of the favourite artist's.
  • Options
    MrMarpleMrMarple Posts: 3,442
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I must have been asleep for the last month because I didn't know a thing about it until I noticed this thread.
    Very excited about this release (now that I know about it).
    MJB is one of the best singers of our generation IMO.

I find her friendship with Sam Smith quite sweet for some reason, but I've no idea why?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »
    I must have been asleep for the last month because I didn't know a thing about it until I noticed this thread.
    Very excited about this release (now that I know about it).
    MJB is one of the best singers of our generation IMO.

I find her friendship with Sam Smith quite sweet for some reason, but I've no idea why?

Did you hear the awesome version of stay wth me they did together
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqqOZbMWesI
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you hear the awesome version of stay wth me they did together
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NqqOZbMWesI

Thanks for that. The two voices go very well together IMO. Appreciate that, thank you.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another track from the album..so far so good :)
    Nobody but you
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UK9Ny-4pUyA

The breakfast club interview MJB, they dig her out a little bit but i've never seen then so well behaved - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VWCeO_IgB0
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apparently the album leaked at the end of October, and well, I couldn't resist hearing the whole thing.

My only stress for this album was whether it would have the same sound running all the way through it. I know Mary came to London to try something knew. I know she worked with Disclosure a bit, so I was weary whether or not that would influence the whole album. I was looking through comments on youtube about Therapy and I could see her US fans were a bit sceptical of this new approach from Mary.

I have to say, the album is pretty good and Mary hasn't done any drastic changes. I'll put some of my opinions in spoilers incase people don't want to know
    There's really only 2 songs I'm not keen on.
    1) My Loving - It's really upbeat, dancey and reminds me of the 90's. When it first started I thought it was very similar to Show Me Love by Robin S. It's not my thing

2) Pick Me Up - I actually don't even know how to describe this song. It's just.. so weird. It's quite 90's sounding as well. It's very piano based with a saxophone/trumpet running through the background.

Then we have songs like Doubt, Not Loving You, When You're Gone, Whole Damn Year, Worth My Time that are great emotional Mary ballads.

However, the standout song for me is Long Hard Look. It's quite hard to describe, actually to the point that when I first listened to it I didn't know if I loved it or hated it. I love it. I want to say Mary sounds quite tough singing it. It sounds like she's trying to stop her man giving up on the relationship by telling him it's not always going to be perfect. It's not a ballad though, pretty mid-tempo.

** Also I notice some songs end with people talking about Mary. At the end of When You're Gone it ends with Sam Smith talking about her

Imo, this album is probably her best since Growing Pains or even The Breakthrough.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't like it. None of the songs were catchy or memorable. Started to notice a decline in Mary's vocals as well. Big shame, as i thought this would be a welcome return for Mary, who has musically done nothing decent since 2005.
  • Options
    uniqueunique Posts: 12,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    it's a pretty good album and there are a few tracks i'm hoping to get a bunch of remixes of. there's a great old school house vibe on the dance tracks. it's just a shame the intro's are a bit short for playing in clubs
  • Options
    davidjohn1985davidjohn1985 Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Is it out?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone else got this yet?
    I've gotta say, I love it. I've always been a fan of hers, but her output in the last couple of years has been 'average' IMO, but this is really a fantastic return.
    I wont say return to form, because it's slightly different to anything she's done before, but not radically different IFSWIM?
    But honestly, this could be a contender for my favourite album of 2014.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I love this. I'm not a massive Mary J fan but I was hooked on Right Now after 1 listen. One of the Best songs of 2014 imo. The album is great!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its the best R&B album i've heard this year. full of stand out songs..nice mix of genres, sounds fresh but still familiar. i dont like the talking inbetween the tracks though. her 10th number one, she's the modern day Aretha :)
    http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/chart-beat/6405621/mary-j-blige-10th-no-1-on-top-rb-hip-hop-albums